SL/R129: Roll bar controller (?) on '97 SL600

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-26-2014, 12:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'97 SL600, '93 600SEC
Roll bar controller (?) on '97 SL600

Greetings!

I have a '97 SL600 and the yellow roll-bar light is lit on the instrument panel. When the roll-bar is lowered, the two little red-arrows on the roll-bar raise/lower switch flash. When I put the roll-bar up, the little red lights stop flashing. Regardless, the instrument panel light stays lit. The battery had died and I had plugged it up to a charger and it was afterwards that this started. Someone once told me that this happens sometimes after the car battery has been replaced. Local shop (that I respect) says it needs a new controller. A $2500 controller! Any other ideas? In the meantime, I'm just leaving the roll-bar up and calling it good. Shame as the car only has 38K miles on it and it has the wonderful panoramic glass top.

Thanks
Dean Waters
'97 SL600
'93 600SEC
Old 03-26-2014, 04:47 PM

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
94 SL 600, 98 993, 89 XJS Conv., 85 Daimlier Princess 16 Hybrid Lincoln 16 Chevy crewcab
If I get advice from someone I trust, I go with it.... Unless they haven't run a diagnostic test and read the codes!!!
Your 93 has a system like my 94 "count the blinks" but the 97 has the full digital OBSII.
Some times charging a battery can cause a series of problems that play badly, but that is related to surg currents that are not kind to chip systems.
As a back yard mechanic I would clear codes. ( I can do so for many with the battery disconnected for a day. ) a real mechanic does so with a reader with the ability to zero the faults. Then I would let the car do its thing. If the controller codes come back than maybe the chip has been damaged.
Even with me being cheap, I buy new electronics!
I hope you can sort the electrical system first, then spend the bucks.
I agree the cool factor shouldn't cost so much, but top down time is almost here in the midwest, and that will make it worth the $???
Where in the world are you???
Old 03-26-2014, 08:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1996 SL500
Hi All - I too am a newbie in need of some help. I have a 96 SL500 with only 27k miles.. It's a true pleasure car ! But I have the very same issue as Dean - rollbar instrument panel light is on and the switch lights are on even though the roll bar is down. When I lift it about 1/4 of the way, the switch lights go out but the panel light stays on.
The Dealer says that it's a sensor and about $2100 to replace. I'd leave it be but I am trying to sell the car - I have a scooter which I love ! - but this issue is a real deal killer.

Anyone have any suggestions about what to do and where to take it for repair ? I am in the metro Philadelphia area.

thanks marjie