SL/R129: Looking at a 96 SL500, asking price of $7K

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-23-2014, 07:10 PM

Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts
New, old Mercedes and REAL AMG's.
Looking at a 96 SL500, asking price of $7K

Hi guys,

This is a silver on black car. Looks really clean with 110K miles on it.

I have yet to inspect the car in person but the seller indicates that one of the roof cylinders is leaking. Just wondering, how much does it cost to replace all cylinders on the soft top?

Anything else I should be looking for when I go to inspect the car? Thank you for your input!!
Old 04-23-2014, 10:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1992 500SL White V12 Conversion, 2014 Honda Rebel
500 for soft top cylinder replacement from top hydraulics i think...

check wiring harness

get a pre purchase inspection regardless of your personal capabilities from the dealer it should only be 150~ which is worth it and cheap. the dealer is truly the best place despite what you might think or hear.

even with receipts and a long history of service the car will have problems so check fluids hoses spark plugs alternator output and battery voltage and charging make sure thats all working. make sure there is no hack jobs on electrical because that will be a pain in the *** to fix.

talk him down on price the car will run forever but you can do better on price. if he doesnt bargain walk away then contact him maybe a week later to see if he changes his mind. if you still want it its not a bad price but you have the power. force his hand dont let him force yours. negotiation will give you more money to stick in the car. anything that is wrong complain that its expensive to fix as motivation. i downplayed the guys car on the 2nd SL i bought and got 1600 off the asking price. if you can get closer to 5k thats my personal opinion where you should be at on price... is it worth more? sure but he needs to think its not worth more.

does it come with the hard top?

is it modded? aftermarket stereos or other aftermarket electronics can really F up a car if not done right so be mindful... i dont suggest you pull the door panel off to check for aftermarket speakers installation. but if not done correctly water can get into the wiring and wreck havoc.

of course how does it drive? the brake pedal is mushy on these cars but it should be a smooth ride with enough power to toss you back in your seat...

these are a few things i can think of off hand. as always there is much more...
Old 04-24-2014, 12:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1991 500SL
Cylinder rebuild is $55 each from Top Hydraulics. I did all 12 for $550 then I paid someone about $500 to install. I hear the front ones over the windshield are the easiest.