SL-Class (R129) 1990-2002: SL 280, SL 300, SL 320, SL 500, SL 600, SL 60 AMG

SL/R129: 1999 SL 500 Soft Top won't come up after main cylinder replacement

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-14-2014, 06:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1999 SL 500
1999 SL 500 Soft Top won't come up after main cylinder replacement

So I replaced the Left Main Cylinder. Exactly according to the Top Hydraulics instructions. Whole process went very smooth. However after toping off the hydraulic fluid and restoring the car, the soft top won't function!!

I have synched the windows according to the manual but still no luck.

The windows and the roll bar both function normally.

If I manually raise the top and lock it in place, the tourneau cover closes and the back locks in position. If I try to open it at that point, the tourneau cover opens, the back raises, but thats it. The front windshield locks don't release or anything else..

If I manually lower the top and lock the tourneau cover and then try raising the top, The tourneau cover opens and thats it. Nothing else!!

I am at a loss.

Klaus....someone please help.....

Thanks
Bruce
Old 05-14-2014, 09:31 PM
SPONSOR

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts
03 SL Kleemann, 97 SL320 pano top, 95 Lorinser E320 Cabrio, Ferrari 360, Tesla X
Originally Posted by bruce1216
So I replaced the Left Main Cylinder. Exactly according to the Top Hydraulics instructions. Whole process went very smooth. However after toping off the hydraulic fluid and restoring the car, the soft top won't function!!

If I manually raise the top and lock it in place, the tourneau cover closes and the back locks in position. If I try to open it at that point, the tourneau cover opens, the back raises, but thats it. The front windshield locks don't release or anything else..

If I manually lower the top and lock the tourneau cover and then try raising the top, The tourneau cover opens and thats it. Nothing else!!

I am at a loss.

Thanks
Bruce
Bruce,

Let's cover the window sync first: do the windows drop a fraction of an inch when you open the doors?

If they don't drop that fraction of an inch, then the sync didn't work and we will have to cover details on window sync that are not in the owner's manual.
If the window sync is confirmed successful, then I would next check if the micro switch 1298205510 on the left fabric bow extension cylinder 1298001772 accidentally got disconnected when you replaced the left main lift cylinder 1298000272 and you may have pulled a little hard on the wiring harness near the main lift cylinder. The connector is hiding inside the quarter panel, a little below the door strike plate.

Klaus

www.tophydraulicsinc.com

Old 05-20-2014, 08:58 AM

1999 SL 500
Klaus,
The windows do open a fraction when the door is opened, leading me to believe they are properly synched. I examined the Micro switch as described and there seems to be no damage to the wiring all seems to be intact.

However, if you recall on another thread I had questioned the convertible top switch staying illuminated even with the top in the full up position and appearing to be fully locked. This occurred after changing the Left Bow Extension cylinder several months ago. You suspected that the chip was the culprit. However after examining it, it appears to look correct without any asymmetry or the appearance of damage. The top continued to go up and down normally, with the exception of the light remaining on after it was in the up position.

This current problem now, is after changing the Left main cylinder. Again their appears to be no damage to the micro chip or wiring leading to it or the connections.

Upon inspection further, I am now noticing hydraulic fluid leaking form the Right Tonneau Cover Lock Cylinder. I can hear it and see it.

Would this lead to inadequate hydraulic pressure and failure of the top to raise/lower???

I am going to order R and L Tonneau Cylinders and a R Main Cylinder. I will replace all 3. This will mean I will have replaced the R and L Mains, Extension Bows and Tonneau Cover Lock Cylinders.

How about the Micro-chip??? Can I get a replacement for this???

Bruce
Old 05-25-2014, 12:42 PM

1999 SL 500
Klaus or anyone.
I have now replaced the main cylinder on both sides, the bow cylinders on both sides and the tonneau lock on the passenger side andthe micro switch 1298205510 on the left fabric bow extension cylinder.

The top will still not raise or lower!!!!!

I have synched the windows according to the manual but still no luck. Yes,
they open a fraction of an inch when you open the doors.

HELP!!!
Old 05-26-2014, 04:47 PM
SPONSOR

03 SL Kleemann, 97 SL320 pano top, 95 Lorinser E320 Cabrio, Ferrari 360, Tesla X
Klaus or anyone.
I have now replaced the main cylinder on both sides, the bow cylinders on both sides and the tonneau lock on the passenger side andthe micro switch 1298205510 on the left fabric bow extension cylinder.

The top will still not raise or lower!!!!!

I have synched the windows according to the manual but still no luck. Yes,
they open a fraction of an inch when you open the doors.

HELP!!!
Bruce,

It would probably be best having the codes read, printed out, and reset at this point. Some customers have given me a similar description, where resetting the codes via Star Diagnostics was all it took to fix the problem after too many codes had accumulated.

Look at the bright side: you literally saved thousands of Dollars already by having Top Hydraulics rebuild & upgrade those five cylinders, compared to buying the parts new from the dealer... :-)

Klaus

www.tophydraulicsinc.com
Old 05-26-2014, 07:19 PM

1999 SL 500
Klaus,
How do I have the Codes read and reset??
Bruce
Old 05-26-2014, 07:36 PM
SPONSOR

Klaus,
How do I have the Codes read and reset??
Bruce
Bruce,

you would need to go to the dealer, or to a good Indie that has Star Diagnostics, also known as SDS.

Klaus

www.tophydraulicsinc.com
Old 06-09-2014, 07:14 PM

1999 ML 320
G'Day all, This is directed to Klaus, or anyone else who might know. I have a '93 SL 500, prod. date of 06/93. I have all sort's of issue's with the soft top operation. I replaced the 2 cylinder's on the windscreen that lock the top. Now, if I try to retract (lower) the topthe rear release'sand it start's to move, but stop's because the cylinder's I replaced do not 'unlock'. If I unlock them manually, I have more movement but not a complete retraction. BTW, the window's are definatly not in sync, but do lower completely, both manually and with the top control. Also, sometime's the roll bar function's properly, most time's not. Ok, I did try to retrive diagnostic code's, but the connector on my car is round and under a cover on what appears to be a computer. I am going banana's trying to figure this out. More info, before I replaced the leaking cyclinder's, all seemed to function good except the top would only go up halfway, make a loud 'click' and stop. Hydralic oil would come out of the windscreen area, so that is why those cylinder's were replaced, with some from Klaus' company, Top Hydralic's. Can I retreive the code's from a round connector, and is there a way to bleed the cylinder's??? Thank you in advance. BTW, I am an engineer for elecrical, and have been in the automotive field for 50& years.
Old 07-07-2015, 05:51 AM

i own a 1999 w129 SL500
1999 SL 500 Top won't come up

I removed my hard top and rwhen I wanted to raise the soft top the red indicator light up and that's it there was no sound of any mechanical activation I pushed the switch the other direction and you can hear the pumps activate. I've checked all fuses front and back and all seamed normal I did the windows synchronization nothing any ideas
Old 10-22-2019, 11:28 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
1997 SL500

I am at a loss.

Thanks
Bruce
bruce1216,

I know this is an old post, but I own a 1997 SL500 and just replaced the bow cylinders with rebuilt units, and I am experiencing exactly what you describe.in your original post. Did you ever get a resolution to your problem? If so, what did you have to do?
Old 10-23-2019, 10:43 AM
Banned

Received 387 Likes on 306 Posts
'09 S600, (2) R129 300SLs, '03 SL500, '03 SL55
Originally Posted by rbrockett
...just replaced the bow cylinders...
You need to unbolt the end of the left-side hydraulic cylinder from the bow, rotate it 180 degrees, and re-install. This end is what actuates the bow-raised limit switch, and since it is asymmetrical, with the wrong orientation the switch does not get closed.
The following 3 users liked this post by bobterry99:
chegui48 (07-04-2022), Looneytoons (07-06-2022), Ohmann (07-02-2022)
Old 10-23-2019, 11:19 AM

1997 SL500
Originally Posted by bobterry99
You need to unbolt the end of the left-side hydraulic cylinder from the bow, rotate it 180 degrees, and re-install. This end is what actuates the bow-raised limit switch, and since it is asymmetrical, with the wrong orientation the switch does not get closed.
Awesome - and thank you. I wondered if it mattered which way it was installed, and I didn't make a mental note of it when I removed it. I will try it the minute I get home.
Old 10-24-2019, 02:23 PM

1997 SL500
Originally Posted by bobterry99
Originally Posted by rbrockett
Awesome - and thank you. I wondered if it mattered which way it was installed, and I didn't make a mental note of it when I removed it. I will try it the minute I get home.
That was my issue. Thank you again bobterry99.
The following users liked this post:
FATHERTIME (10-25-2019)
Old 04-01-2021, 11:54 AM

1998 SL 500
98 r129 soft top locks

Replaced bow cylinder and have a problem with rear locks bending at bottom of slot. Removed and straightened both. After several cycles left one bent again. Straightened it and adjusted to center over opening. Cycled several times and then the right side bent again. It keeps happening but takes several cycles to bend one or the other. Any suggestions?
mstaglian@gmail.com
Old 07-01-2022, 12:52 PM

2013 S550 4 matic
bow cylinders

I replaced all cylinders and it all worked but the right bow cylinder rod bent. Klaus thought the lines may have been revered. the lines are marked with blue or white paint on each one. does blue or white paint go on top?
Old 07-03-2022, 10:58 PM

Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts
94 SL320 98 SL500 99 SL600 07 SL55
the lines are numbered as are the cylinders
Old 07-05-2022, 05:07 PM

2013 S550 4 matic
I need the cylinder with the bent rod out. How to do it is the problem. All I can imagine is cutting the rod. It is all the way out and bent at 90 degrees.
Old 07-05-2022, 07:43 PM

Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts
94 SL320 98 SL500 99 SL600 07 SL55
Can't you remove the pins If you disconnect the top of the main lift cylinder and push the rod down it may give you room.
Old 07-06-2022, 11:47 AM

2013 S550 4 matic
I will try that. I have been working on this for months now, so "Fathertime" is appropriate!