SL/R129: Major Roof Function Problems - sl 1993 40k miles

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-12-2014, 10:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
w129, c43, 63 black
Major Roof Function Problems - sl 1993 40k miles

Hi everyone

Thank you in advance for your time and due consideration, I would be very grateful if you could give some direction, instruction and test procedures that I might be able to carry out.

I am based in the UK but i am quite technical and wondered of you could give some pointers on the following problem;

1 the hard top wouldn't release - now removed manually

2 softop will not activate in any way

3 antiroll bar lights on switch do not light up and thereby the bar doesn't operate.

The windows are OK but do not operate when activating softop control switch ....

I have checked codes with pin 10 to ground and indicates top switches (these I have looked at and look brand new and not a drop of any leakage)

When pin 10 to ground is initiated the A/roll bar switch lights up but does not activate the bar when pressed.

With H/top off and roof down and locked (it wont rise...) the buzzer sounds when driving ???

The hydraulic pump doesn't sound/work no matter any combination of switch movements, car idling or key in position 2 - i have checked the plug and there is power, the relay clicks when bridged and generates continuity on a meter, etc........

But I have no idea as to what the combination of bridges would initiate the pump to run...

Does my car have a "Base fuse" if so where is it located ? and will it/does it make any difference to this problem ?

Could you guide me as to whether I need to clear codes and if so how do I do that ? i understand that this can be done with 3 way wire as I dont have a scanner

Is there a procedure to trigger the pump ? or is this all down to the roof control unit ? of a specific bridge combination that I could try ?

Your experience and guidance would be wonderful if you can help.

Many thanks
Old 07-14-2014, 05:11 PM

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
94 SL 600, 98 993, 89 XJS Conv., 85 Daimlier Princess 16 Hybrid Lincoln 16 Chevy crewcab
In removing the hard top you may have the controller out of its operation phase.
the buzz sound is a warning that the cycle is not completed. a lock not open or closed??
(The pump will not work without fluid. the tank is below a plastic cover under the spare tyre. Your model ( like my 600 ) does not have a window switch protocol, Yes there is a fuse in the boot near the hinge to the trunk lid on the gas filler pipe side ( at least in Kansas ).
I would roll down windows, car in park, Emergency brake on and make sure the hard top is in all the latch positions for reattachment. the press the "red" top switch and try to lock the top back on. If the hydraulic latches in the front pull the top down into the locks on the wind screen and the pins sticking into the back locks pull down and latch you have the system back working.
If no sounds or latch movement occurs you may have a controller issue.