SL-Class (R129) 1990-2002: SL 280, SL 300, SL 320, SL 500, SL 600, SL 60 AMG

SL/R129: Convertible Top Control Module

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-08-2014, 07:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1995 SL320
Convertible Top Control Module

Does anyone know what some of the symptoms of a Conv. Top Control Module going bad..?

Thanks for any help !!!
Old 08-09-2014, 01:04 PM
SPONSOR

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts
03 SL Kleemann, 97 SL320 pano top, 95 Lorinser E320 Cabrio, Ferrari 360, Tesla X
Originally Posted by afrts
Does anyone know what some of the symptoms of a Conv. Top Control Module going bad..?

Thanks for any help !!!
There are lots of possible symptoms. I think it would be more productive if you told us exactly what is going on with your top that makes you or your mechanic think the RST controller is bad.

Klaus

www.tophydraulicsinc.com
Old 08-09-2014, 01:37 PM

1995 SL320
Top problems

The top doesn't move or release at all..then I have to disconnect the battery for about 6 mins..then it will release the Hard Top..I take the hard top off then it soesn't want to raise the soft top all the way..only about half-way up then it stops. or maybe it will go all the way forward to the windshield, but will not lock down and the rear of the soft top is stuck up with the storage cover stuck in the upper position. also, when the soft top is all the way locked in place I get into the car and want to lower it into the storage area..it doesn't even move, but yet you can actually hear it trying to move. There are no leaks the Hydraulic pump is on the full mark.

This is why I believe I need to get the Controller Module rebuilt. This happens everytime I try to take off the top..put the soft top up or down..just a few examples.
Old 08-09-2014, 01:57 PM
SPONSOR

03 SL Kleemann, 97 SL320 pano top, 95 Lorinser E320 Cabrio, Ferrari 360, Tesla X
The top doesn't move or release at all..then I have to disconnect the battery for about 6 mins..then it will release the Hard Top..I take the hard top off then it soesn't want to raise the soft top all the way..only about half-way up then it stops. or maybe it will go all the way forward to the windshield, but will not lock down and the rear of the soft top is stuck up with the storage cover stuck in the upper position. also, when the soft top is all the way locked in place I get into the car and want to lower it into the storage area..it doesn't even move, but yet you can actually hear it trying to move. There are no leaks the Hydraulic pump is on the full mark.

This is why I believe I need to get the Controller Module rebuilt. This happens everytime I try to take off the top..put the soft top up or down..just a few examples.
afrts,

thank you for giving us more details. This could be as simple as one of the rear locks not being fully open when you remove the hard top. It is essential that you pull the red button long enough when removing the hard top on model years '95+, until both rear locks have fully released. I will explain in more detail why this happens if we find this to be the problem on your car.

Please do me a favor and type your response in proper English. It's a matter of common courtesy and showing respect to those who are trying to help. More importantly yet, it helps future readers in following the conversation and it helps those who search the forum with a similar problem. Thank you in advance!

Now, let's check out those rear latches (locks): take a look down the oval holes on top of your rear locks. Do you see a metal bar about 3/4" down from the top of the hole on both locks, going in the front-rear direction?

Klaus

www.tophydraulicsinc.com

Old 08-09-2014, 02:00 PM

1995 SL320
Proper english

You don't like my English....you know what you can do then...your pathetic !!! Get a Life already !!!
Old 08-09-2014, 02:18 PM
SPONSOR

You don't like my English....you know what you can do then...your pathetic !!! Get a Life already !!!
Good luck to you.
Old 08-09-2014, 02:38 PM

1995 SL320

What an A-Hole, what's English got to do with this forum..?