SL-Class (R129) 1990-2002: SL 280, SL 300, SL 320, SL 500, SL 600, SL 60 AMG

SL/R129: 1993 300SL-24 Top Troubleshooting Help Needed

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-25-2014, 04:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1993 300SL-24 Top Troubleshooting Help Needed

I have recently acquired a grey market 1992 300SL-24. The car had been used very little over the past few years and the hardtop is on the car and inop.

The facts:

- The top control module has just been rebuilt by BBA
- The fuses in the trunk have just been replaced - old ones were fine but a little crusty.
- The car is fitted with the rear jump seat
- The rollbar does not work, the light lights up when you turn the car on, but nothing happens and no noises when pressing the button. I'm wondering if the rear jumpseat has something to do with this, need to try it again with the seat folded down.
- I've unsuccessfully attempted to get the rollbar codes
- With the hardtop on the car, there are no codes in the controller - It just flashes 20 for Hardtop On, no Faults
- With the hardtop off the car I get the same code 20, hardtop on, no faults. What triggers the car not think the hardtop is on? Latch position?
- With the hardtop off the car I get a clicking from the right side of the tonneau cover when trying to operate the top, but nothing else happens. The switch lights solid for a ~10 seconds then starts to blink.

I've pretty well exhausted my hacking ability to troubleshoot this, but any further suggestions before I pay someone smarter than me to look at it would be greatly appreciated.