SL-Class (R129) 1990-2002: SL 280, SL 300, SL 320, SL 500, SL 600, SL 60 AMG

SL/R129: window/top/rollbar issue

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-30-2014, 12:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1996 sl500
window/top/rollbar issue

Hello, Im having some issues with a 1996 sl500 I picked up a few days ago. Before making the purchase, I knew the soft top and roll-bar were not operational so I asked the seller if he could demonstrate how to lower and raise it manually. After this, I noticed that both windows became locked fully up. I even saw them working perfectly minutes before we lowered the top so that's the only thing I can think of that would have affected them. Also, they still pop up a bit more once the door closes and go down as you open the door like they're supposed to but they only do this when the key is in position 1 or the vehicle is off, never while it is running. Any ideas? From what I have heard the soft top and roll-bar communicate with one another and a malfunction in one can effect the other, so I'm guessing it needs a new control module and that should fix both (assuming the hydraulics are still in good shape). Does this sound correct? If so would a control module solve the issue I'm having with the windows as well? Other than that I'm loving the car the build quality really is great. Thanks for any responses.
Old 09-30-2014, 11:04 AM
SPONSOR

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts
03 SL Kleemann, 97 SL320 pano top, 95 Lorinser E320 Cabrio, Ferrari 360, Tesla X
Originally Posted by VonGutenburg
Hello, Im having some issues with a 1996 sl500 I picked up a few days ago. Before making the purchase, I knew the soft top and roll-bar were not operational so I asked the seller if he could demonstrate how to lower and raise it manually. After this, I noticed that both windows became locked fully up. I even saw them working perfectly minutes before we lowered the top so that's the only thing I can think of that would have affected them. Also, they still pop up a bit more once the door closes and go down as you open the door like they're supposed to but they only do this when the key is in position 1 or the vehicle is off, never while it is running. Any ideas? From what I have heard the soft top and roll-bar communicate with one another and a malfunction in one can effect the other, so I'm guessing it needs a new control module and that should fix both (assuming the hydraulics are still in good shape). Does this sound correct? If so would a control module solve the issue I'm having with the windows as well? Other than that I'm loving the car the build quality really is great. Thanks for any responses.
VonGutenburg,

welcome to the forum! Where are you located? Maybe you could add your location by going to "Quick Links" and "Edit your details" in the forum's navigation bar.

Although the behavior you are describing is not normal, let's not condemn the controller right away. Controllers can behave strangely if they have a number of error codes accumulated. If you are lucky, then there is only some micro switch giving an erroneous signal.

"Window indexing" is where the windows go down about 1/2" (if they have been in the fully raised position) when you open the door, and they go up again after you close the door.

It appears that the PO manually lowered and raised the top while leaving the windows up, and the windows are stuck in what ever position that was, is that correct? Also, please clarify whether the top is currently up or down.

Looking forward to your response, and we will take it from there.

Klaus

www.tophydraulicsinc.com
Old 09-30-2014, 05:20 PM

1996 sl500
Originally Posted by Top Hydraulics
VonGutenburg,

welcome to the forum! Where are you located? Maybe you could add your location by going to "Quick Links" and "Edit your details" in the forum's navigation bar.

Although the behavior you are describing is not normal, let's not condemn the controller right away. Controllers can behave strangely if they have a number of error codes accumulated. If you are lucky, then there is only some micro switch giving an erroneous signal.

"Window indexing" is where the windows go down about 1/2" (if they have been in the fully raised position) when you open the door, and they go up again after you close the door.

It appears that the PO manually lowered and raised the top while leaving the windows up, and the windows are stuck in what ever position that was, is that correct? Also, please clarify whether the top is currently up or down.

Looking forward to your response, and we will take it from there.

Klaus

www.tophydraulicsinc.com
Thank you for the response, I'm located just outside San Antonio. First off, the soft top is currently up. Whether the PO manually raised/lowered the top I cannot say although he did seem to be familiar with the procedures which may suggest he did. The windows are in the fully raised position but only go down about an inch upon opening the door. They raise fully when the door is closed but like I say, this only happens when the car is either off or the key is turned to position 1 with the engine not yet running so I'm at a loss. The windows are stuck in that position though. Using the window switches does nothing and so far opening and closing the doors is the only thing I have found that will cause them to move. Thanks again for the response Klaus, I really appreciate the help.
Old 09-30-2014, 05:25 PM

1996 sl500
Oh and the windows were operating perfectly until I asked the seller to lower the soft top and after that is when I noticed they were no longer functioning (the engine was on).
Old 09-30-2014, 06:06 PM
SPONSOR

03 SL Kleemann, 97 SL320 pano top, 95 Lorinser E320 Cabrio, Ferrari 360, Tesla X
Oh and the windows were operating perfectly until I asked the seller to lower the soft top and after that is when I noticed they were no longer functioning (the engine was on).
Okay, that's the clue. If one manually lowers the top on a '96, then it takes some fancy manipulation on the rear locks in order to avoid them shutting down the system. It could be something else, but this is most likely, so let's deal with it first. I am assuming that your top is still down, and that at least one of the rear locks is now in the locked position (as opposed to open), which is illogical to the controller.

If your top is currently down, then please look down the oval holes of both rear locks (between the tonneau cover and the trunk lid). If the locks are both open, then you should see a metal bar about 3/4" from the top of the hole in each lock, going in the front-rear direction of the car.

Please confirm.

Klaus

www.tophydraulicsinc.com

Old 09-30-2014, 06:58 PM

1996 sl500
The soft top is currently raised but I believe I am familiar which the holes you mention. Should I lower the top to do this?
Old 09-30-2014, 07:03 PM
SPONSOR

The soft top is currently raised but I believe I am familiar which the holes you mention. Should I lower the top to do this?
In that case, let's hold off briefly and examine all the latches in the raised position. Is the front locked solidly? Have both tonneau cover latches been locked with the soft top tool? These four locks have to be fully latched before you are able to move the windows at all with the top in the closed/raised position.

Does the rear look like it is locked own evenly, or can you actually lift up the rear bow without unlatching the rear locks?

Klaus

www.tophydraulicinc.com
Old 09-30-2014, 07:23 PM

1996 sl500
Is the front locked solidly? Have both tonneau cover latches been locked with the soft top tool? These four locks have to be fully latched before you are able to move the windows at all with the top in the closed/raised position.www.tophydraulicinc.com
I remember he used the tool to lock them. Just went out to confirm and the top and cover are locked down firmly.

Last edited by VonGutenburg; 09-30-2014 at 10:43 PM.
Old 10-01-2014, 02:10 PM
SPONSOR

I remember he used the tool to lock them. Just went out to confirm and the top and cover are locked down firmly.
Just making sure there are no misunderstandings: Did you confirm the tonneau cover locks A129 800 15 74 and A129 800 16 74 being fully latched by using the soft top tool on them? Does the rear bow look like it is locked down evenly, or can you actually lift up the rear bow at all without unlatching the rear locks?

If the rear bow is even and fully latched, then check whether the electrical connectors on the rear latches A129 800 11 74 and A129 800 17 74 are in place. Maybe one of them got pulled on when the rear was manually latched or unlatched.

Klaus

www.tophydraulicinc.com
Old 10-02-2014, 09:04 PM

1996 sl500
Just making sure there are no misunderstandings: Did you confirm the tonneau cover locks A129 800 15 74 and A129 800 16 74 being fully latched by using the soft top tool on them? Does the rear bow look like it is locked down evenly, or can you actually lift up the rear bow at all without unlatching the rear lockswww.tophydraulicinc.com
Yes, its all locked down properly and evenly. Thank you for the advice.
Old 10-02-2014, 09:19 PM
SPONSOR

My suggestion of things to do in this order:

1) Check the electrical connectors on the rear locks, whether they are fully connected.
2) If you haven't done so yet, use the soft top tool to double check that the tonneau locks are latched down all the way. Latching the tonneau locks would be moving the soft top tool forward (ignition off). Let us know if you need help with this step.
3) With the ignition off, put the soft top tool in the driver side front lock, turn counter-clockwise until you feel significant resistance. Hold it there, turn on the ignition, and try to move the windows.
4) With the ignition off, put the soft top tool in the passenger side front lock, turn clockwise until you feel significant resistance. Hold it there, turn on the ignition, and try to move the windows.
5) If all the above didn't help, then go to a good Indy with Star Diagnostic or to the dealer and have soft top codes read. Make sure to get a print-out of the codes.

Klaus

www.tophydraulicinc.com
Old 10-07-2014, 11:09 PM

1996 sl500
Sorry I took so long to get back to you. I tried what you said with no luck so I'll try to find a good indy to take it to. I appreciate your help though.