SL/R129: Not So Electric Aerial

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-21-2014, 11:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1998 R129 SL500
Not So Electric Aerial

Hi,

The Electric Aerial on my 1998 SL only goes up about 8 inches and consequently the radio reception when moving is very poor. I lubricated the mast/antenna, and disconnected and reconnected the aerial unit itself but it will not come up any further than this distance, and the motor is making no ratcheting noise to suggest that it is trying to drive the antenna up further than it is currently raising. I have searched the internet and found a lot of images of SL's with the antenna up the same distance and some (working correctly) up much further so I am guessing it may be common problem. Is this likely to be a complete unit replacement that is required or just a an antenna?

Any Help Much appreciated

Stuart
Old 10-21-2014, 03:18 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
1998 SL500
Not a direct answer/solution however FWIW, the antenna motor driver circuit senses the motor's current draw (load) as a means of determining when the mast is fully extended or retracted. After 3-4 seconds of higher than normal current draw the circuit cuts power to the motor.

If your antenna's mast is messed up (most likely the nylon gear rack) then the controller could sense an increase in load as the mast is extending and cut the power, You need to remove the bushing on the antenna base and see if the antenna, mast and nylon rack, ejects from the antenna body. If not then pull on it before the motor stops and see if you can pull it out.

If it comes out with only part of the gear rack (the gear rack should be 75 cm long), then the remainder of the rack is broken off and jamming up inside the antenna motor housing, You will have to remove the antenna body and disassemble it to get the broken piece out, then reassmeble and install a new mast...

Last edited by cliffyk; 10-21-2014 at 06:25 PM. Reason: fix typos...
Old 10-21-2014, 05:01 PM

1998 R129 SL500
Originally Posted by cliffyk
Not a direct answer/solution, however FWIW, The antenna motor driver circuit senses the motor's current draw (load) as a means of determining when the mast is fully extended or retracted. After 3-4 seconds of higher than normal current draw the circuit cuts power to the motor.

If you antenna's mast is messed up (most like the nylon gear rack) then the controller could sense an increase in laod as the mast is extending and cur the power, You need to remove the bushing on the antenna base and see if the antenna, mast and nylon rack, ejects from the anytenna body. If not then pull on it before the motor stops and see if you can pull it out.

If it comes out with only part of the gear rack (the gear rack should be 75 cm long), then the remainder of the rack is broken off and jamming up inside the antenna motor housing, You will have to remove the antenna body and disassemble it to get the broken piece out, then reassmeble and install a new mast...
Thanks for that excellent reply!!! Very much appreciated. I will get i stripped out this weekend and see what I cant find!

Thanks again.
Stuart
Old 10-21-2014, 06:29 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
1998 SL500
I apologise for the numerous typos, I had a stroke in late May and am still working on getting back to normal...
Old 10-22-2014, 05:16 AM

1998 R129 SL500
Originally Posted by cliffyk
I apologise for the numerous typos, I had a stroke in late May and am still working on getting back to normal...
Your apology is not necessary at all. Your reply was very clear and concise, and there are probably more mistakes in my original post than your reply!!!

Thanks again.

Stuart