SL/R129: Seals, Bushings, Plug Seals, Gaskets

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-09-2014, 02:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 72 Likes on 50 Posts
1999 SL 500 & 2011 E 550 4Matic
Seals, Bushings, Plug Seals, Gaskets

We are going to be heading south in about 3 weeks time for the winter. A 7,800 Km ( 4,600 Mile) road trip into the deserts of California & Arizona.

First of all I will note that we do not experience any oil drips under the car.

Do you think the MB shop is just trying to drum up business:

At 192,000 Km (115,000 Miles) we just had the regular "A" service done. The shop noted and suggested the following repairs (prices in Cdn $ include parts and labour):

Transmission output seal: $390
Pilot Bushing: $126
Engine timing cover plug seal: $105
Cam cover gaskets: $592

They noted that the Engine timing cover plug is the most pressing of the oil leaks as it is the worst at the moment.

Is any of this so pressing as a "must do" before heading out? Remember we do not see any evidence of typical oil drips on pavement.

What do you think? - is the MB shop is just trying to drum up business???
Old 11-09-2014, 09:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1997 sl500 83 Elcamino 05 Caddie
Originally Posted by ChrisB
We are going to be heading south in about 3 weeks time for the winter. A 7,800 Km ( 4,600 Mile) road trip into the deserts of California & Arizona.

First of all I will note that we do not experience any oil drips under the car.

Do you think the MB shop is just trying to drum up business:

At 192,000 Km (115,000 Miles) we just had the regular "A" service done. The shop noted and suggested the following repairs (prices in Cdn $ include parts and labour):

Transmission output seal: $390
Pilot Bushing: $126
Engine timing cover plug seal: $105
Cam cover gaskets: $592

They noted that the Engine timing cover plug is the most pressing of the oil leaks as it is the worst at the moment.

Is any of this so pressing as a "must do" before heading out? Remember we do not see any evidence of typical oil drips on pavement.

What do you think? - is the MB shop is just trying to drum up business???
If it needs it, I find the price excellent. Here in the Redneck Rivera there is no dealer so the same work is ....( drum roll please) well over 2 k. @ the local import guy we name FIAT for a reason. Enjoy the trip & stop often for pie.
Old 11-09-2014, 09:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

That is just what I mean.

Is it really required? Even if it is a fair price. Why do it before required.

We had some crank shaft sensor stall out issues on our last road trip into the boonies. So my wife is now afraid that these various oil leaks may cause problems on our road trip.

I don't think so. But I am not a mechanic.

I just know that oils are not spewing out all over the place. So how bad can it be??

PS - I will be seeing an independent mechanic for his advise.

Last edited by ChrisB; 11-09-2014 at 09:40 PM. Reason: I forgot something
Old 11-20-2014, 09:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

As it turns out MB was trying to drum up business.

I recently got a booking to take the car to my independent MB / Porsche trained mechanic. Up on his hoist he pointed out that either the "dampness" - implying oil leaks or observed cam cover "leaks" did not exist or were not of any immediate concern.

Except for the $ 105 Engine timing plug seal - which had been leaking moderately & could cause damage to the drive belt.

I went to have that fixed at MB Dealership today. The shop was short staffed & I willingly accepted a 1 hr wait to get the work done - because I have a long road trip to leave for. Then the service dept was delayed in processing completed work because printers were not working ...

No time left in the work day to complain about 3 not needed repairs they recommended - totaling $ 1,108 + Taxes to complete ...

Maybe a year from now at my next regular service, with 9,000 more miles on ... I will have the MB shop show me where the non existent leaks are.