SL-Class (R129) 1990-2002: SL 280, SL 300, SL 320, SL 500, SL 600, SL 60 AMG

SL/R129: R129 - SL280 soft top aand many other isssues require all mbworld expertise ;)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-23-2014, 04:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W211
R129 - SL280 soft top aand many other isssues require all mbworld expertise ;)

Hey guys,

been reading a lot lately on this forum for my W211 small issues and recently got R129 , really appreciate and love this forum

Now, to start with I am located in Dubai and just got R129 which was lying dead for 3 years in a harsh environment . So i decided to restore it and bring it back to life.

giving a bit of history and info ....the car did not start due fuel pump was faulty..... now i just replaced following
fuel pump,
fuel filter,
engine oil,
engine oil filter,
Transmission oil,
Transmission oil filter and gasket ,
Timing belt ,
spark plugs,
brake pads,
air filters etc
Polished my disc brakes they seem to be fine for now

When i tried operate the soft top( i dont have hard top ), which is out and locked with windshield. The soft top unlocked the rear locks and moved up... but the tonneau cover did not open and the front top locks did not open...

After this i checked in rear trunk , no hydraulic fluid.. all empty..
I tried to open manually the front top locks with Allen key.. its jammed i can see all the rust on the hex bolt.
will refill hydraulic fluid today and lets see how it goes

So... guys a lil help required to bring this beauty back to life ... waiting for any suggestions that might help.
cheers thanks
Old 11-24-2014, 03:43 PM

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
94 SL 600, 98 993, 89 XJS Conv., 85 Daimlier Princess 16 Hybrid Lincoln 16 Chevy crewcab
Stop with the parts unless you know the codes! Unless your brother is in the parts business find out the problem first!
What year and produced for what market? are my first questions.
The complexity of the fuel / ignition system is so intragrated replacing parts is an expensive, maybe unneeded step get the OBD read out first. If the vehicle is in the 93-5 era then overall wiring issues need to be resolved first.
Good luck with your restoration