SL/R129: help please; removing soft top frame as an assembly

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-26-2015, 07:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SL300
Exclamation help please; removing soft top frame as an assembly

Hi All,
having googled and searched 'till frustration has got the better of me I'm now posting to you guy's hoping I can find a link straight to the info I want.

I would like to know how to firstly remove, but mainly how to re-assemble the soft top frame as a complete assembly -as you see for sale removed from breaker cars as complete assembly ...on ebay etc.

Now I predict some of the obvious replies...
why would you bother doing that?
don't waist your time buying second hand, buy new,
....let the experts do it!
etc
thing is I want to decide that for myself ....knowing my own skills and my endless patience and care, and enjoyment of doing it myself when they said it couldn't be done..
So guys anyone got a link on how to re-assemble and align the soft top frame complete with cloth/mohair attached?
instructions or video? (I have seen video on you tube on replacing roof with frame in place.)
I have a ripped rear window, but, I also have tensioning issues and ripped elastic straps etc. I use the car daily, but would want to work on the roof over a few weeks and on a budget. I may even stitch myself...
help appreciated, cheers guys
Old 01-29-2015, 02:30 PM
SPONSOR

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts
03 SL Kleemann, 97 SL320 pano top, 95 Lorinser E320 Cabrio, Ferrari 360, Tesla X
Tecra_user,

welcome to the forum! Sounds like your car needs a little TLC. Replacing the complete top assembly is easy. You will need help from a second person when you lift the top in and out of the car; the rest you can do yourself. Three or four bolts on each side that tie the frame to the car, plus you have to take care of disconnecting and re-connecting the hydraulic lines to the two fabric bow extension cylinders (if the replacement top comes with the fabric bow extension cylinders installed, and typically eBay seller would have just cut the lines).

I have not seen the need for fine alignment when installing the replacement top, but that would be easily taken care of by use of tiny shims. You can figure that part out, since you seem to be a very independent individual.

You failed to mention your model year. However, since your profile says "SL300" (there is no such R129), I assume that you have a 300SL, and that would fall into the model year range of 1990-1994. Do NOT buy a top from a model year '95+, as your windows would be colliding with the newer style weather seals in those. As a side note, the hydraulic line length is different for the bow extension cylinders in model years '95+.

The bolts for the frame are easily found in the frame's main hinge (just behind the doors), and hydraulic line disconnection is covered in http://www.tophydraulicsinc.com/R129...%20Removal.pdf

Good luck, hope you can find a decent used top...

Klaus

www.tophydraulicsinc.com
Old 02-23-2015, 08:56 AM

1994 SL500
94 SL500 complete soft top and frame replacement problem

Gents,

I have a unique problem and I hope someone out there can help.

I have done a complete soft top replacement including the frame. Without going into a lot of details and problems encountered, the soft top is installed and everything is working. However, there were two black links on both sides (not the black bases) that appeared to be connected to the plastic sliders on the bottom of the bow track that have broken while operating the top!!
I have gone through many threads to see if someone had a similar problem at no avail.

The two links I am referring to are two pieces of black painted strips with one that looks like a fork at the end. Both had the exact failure; at the bolt.

I have no idea why this is happening. Is it due to bad alignment? If that's the case, can some one shed some light how I can do the alignment?

Thanks for your help.
Old 02-23-2015, 10:30 AM
SPONSOR

03 SL Kleemann, 97 SL320 pano top, 95 Lorinser E320 Cabrio, Ferrari 360, Tesla X
Originally Posted by I*Benz
Gents,

I have a unique problem and I hope someone out there can help.

I have done a complete soft top replacement including the frame. Without going into a lot of details and problems encountered, the soft top is installed and everything is working. However, there were two black links on both sides (not the black bases) that appeared to be connected to the plastic sliders on the bottom of the bow track that have broken while operating the top!!
I have gone through many threads to see if someone had a similar problem at no avail.

The two links I am referring to are two pieces of black painted strips with one that looks like a fork at the end. Both had the exact failure; at the bolt.

I have no idea why this is happening. Is it due to bad alignment? If that's the case, can some one shed some light how I can do the alignment?

Thanks for your help.
I*Benz,

welcome to the forum! Can you post pictures of the parts you are referring to, please?

Klaus

www.tophydraulicsinc.com
Old 02-23-2015, 12:00 PM

1994 SL500
Hi Klaus, thanks for your attention. My apologies, as I am new to the forum I am having some problems uploading the attachments. I hope it worked.

Mac
Attached Thumbnails help please; removing soft top frame as an assembly-image.jpg  
Old 02-23-2015, 12:08 PM
SPONSOR

Hello Mac,

Thanks for the photo.

I haven't run into that problem before, and frankly don't even know exactly where these parts are located. However, the only thing that I am aware of sometimes going wrong with the installation of a replacement top, is that the tension rods higher up in the frame are bent. When they are bent, then the typical symptom is the rear of the top coming down farther back than the rear locks. Was this the case for you?

Klaus

www.tophydraulicsinc.com
Old 02-24-2015, 08:45 AM

1994 SL500
Hi Klaus,

My apologies for the delay in my reply. I found the attached diagram online with the part I am referring to. It is No. 11.

The levers as referred to in the image broke in two different occasions. The passenger side after the initial installation and the the driver side broke after I took it to a mechanis to adjust and after I received back and tried to operate the top at home. I removed the part from my original frame but I am hesitant to fully operate the top thinking it might happen again. What I have noticed is that on the rear windows, there was tension on the passenger side where the driver side is relaxed. Since this was happening, the passenger side prong needs help to attach and once it is attached the driver side attaches.

I have also noticed on one of the pictures I took last night for the driver side lever, it appeared a little bent!
Mac
Attached Thumbnails help please; removing soft top frame as an assembly-image.jpg  
Old 02-24-2015, 09:08 AM

1994 SL500
Here is the photo I am referring to.

Mac
Old 02-24-2015, 11:07 AM

1994 SL500
I took another look at the lever and it looks ok. Please disregard my comment and photo regarding the bent lever.
Old 04-03-2023, 07:44 AM

1995 SL500 / 85 380SL
Part 11 Convertible Top frame link

I realize this is an old post, but I too have a broken link. And it is located on the Passenger side. It is part 11 in the diagram provided by I*Benz (above). It is not the short 3" bar. This piece is about 11" long, with 3 holes punched into it; a hole at each end and one in the middle. There is a slight angle in the part, at about the middle of it. It appears to hold grommets in each hole, which link to other parts of the frame.

My part broke in the middle while putting my top down. It is a purely mechanical lever, which moves other parts of the frame as the top goes up and down. I've searched for the part but no luck. At this point, it seems my best option is to go to a metal shop and see if they can't fabricate it. Unless someone here knows where to find such a part (I hope). Any help would be very much appreciated.