SL-Class (R129) 1990-2002: SL 280, SL 300, SL 320, SL 500, SL 600, SL 60 AMG

SL/R129: Soft top front switches not releasing

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-15-2015, 07:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1996 SL500
Soft top front switches not releasing

Hi, all. Car is a late '96 SL500 (4sp transmission, OBDII). After several months of non-use I tried to open the top and found that the front switches (both of them) won't release. The top opening process proceeds properly to that point, but there no release and after a bit the red light starts flashing. Reversing the switch resets the top properly. Battery charge is good. I checked fuses 4 and 9 in the trunk; both are good. The roll bar manual switch works. As neither switch released I presume it's not a switch problem. Unfortunately I don't have easy access to an MB code reader to see what codes if any the roof has thrown. Thoughts?

Best,
Alan
Old 03-27-2015, 02:23 PM

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
94 SL 600, 98 993, 89 XJS Conv., 85 Daimlier Princess 16 Hybrid Lincoln 16 Chevy crewcab
There is an hex bolt release in the frame of the windscreen. There is a special Soft top wrench with a spanner and the other end the Hex tool ( 5 or 6 mm ) After you remove the plastic plug near the sun visor you can unlatch the front locks. The owners manual has a full explanation of the 1/6th turn by turn method of top removal. Some of your system is working as you noted.
Klaus Witt ( Top hydraulics ) is the forum expert that I go to for answers. His company rebuilds the hydraulic cylinders ( 12 or 11 depending on the year )
The age of your benz would lead me to suspect the front seals are not operational, but there are several other aspects that may also be at issue. When seals go out but the pump works hydraulic fluid can gush many places! I thought I had an automatic "lexol" dispenser .