SL-Class (R129) 1990-2002: SL 280, SL 300, SL 320, SL 500, SL 600, SL 60 AMG

SL/R129: Fuel in oil, garage says I need a new motor.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-28-2015, 01:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
92 500SL
Fuel in oil, garage says I need a new motor.

I have a 92 500SL with 110k and it was running rough & blowing white smoke usually at idle. I hadn't driven the car much for the past few years which I now know is very bad.

A few months ago I drained the fuel & added some additive and it fired up and ran better & I drove it and the smoke cleared up after I got on it on the high way.

Seem to be back to normal but later that day it started running bad again and I barely made it home. The battery light came on I figured it was the low battery or bad alternator now. I think a few times I heard the motor knocking as well for a few seconds on my way home.

It did smell like there was a lot of raw fuel in the exhaust.

Took to the local german shop & the next day they called & said I had a cracked spark plug & some vacuum leaks & wanted the ok to fix those & tune it up. Said they checked the injectors and they were like new.

I called a week later and they said they were still working on it and wanted to go through everything but never mentioned a engine knock.

Then the next day they want me to come down and they started it up for a few seconds and it was knocking bad. They said they figured out it was the fuel distributor sending too much fuel and there was fuel in the oil. So they replaced that and changed the oil & started it and said it started knocking and there must have been damage resulting from fuel in the oil.

It was blowing white smoke and barely running when I took it in but not knocking.

Now they said I need a new used motor or rebuild.

So is that what happens when the fuel distributor goes bad, fuel ends up in the oil? If so I suppose I shouldn't have been screwing around and should have taken to the shop immediately.

Just figured I would ask if its possible they could have done something since the mechanic & shop manager guy both apologized and were acting kind of weird? They wouldn't give me a price on a new motor yet and said I have to talk to the owner who wasn't there but they just wanted me to come down & hear the knock.

The guy who works there that first told me it was vacuum leaks & spark plugs is no longer with them LOL.

I fear a new engine will prob cost more than the car is worth. Think I could still get much for it? It was always garaged and the 2 tops & interior are in excellent condition, motor just sounds kind of funny now

Thanks!
-George
Old 03-30-2015, 08:45 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'06 E500, '99 ML430 and '07 SL65
You can make more of the car by parting it out that selling it whole. It depends on what you want to do. It is still worth money.