SL-Class (R129) 1990-2002: SL 280, SL 300, SL 320, SL 500, SL 600, SL 60 AMG

SL/R129: Soft top rear lock misalignment 99 SL 500

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-05-2015, 11:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
99 SL 500
Soft top rear lock misalignment 99 SL 500

There are a few posts that touch on this subject, but I haven't found what I need, so here goes:

I had my ragtop replaced a couple of years ago and they did a nice job. Last year, the front locks started leaking so I had them rebuilt by TopHydraulics, Inc. (they are highly recommended). Of course, after reinstalling the rebuilt locks, I tried to operate the top and one of the main lift cylinders blew its juice and nothing happened. Now I know I have to remove the rest of the locks and send them to TopHydraulics. In the meantime, I have been manually putting the top down and storing it in its compartment so I can drive with it down, and manually putting it up when I'm not using it.

At one point, I stupidly tried to put the top up without lowering the windows (don't ask me why). I felt some hard resistance part way up and realized I had screwed up, so I lowered it back down and lowered the windows. When I put the top back up, the rear locking pins didn't align with the holes in the locks. They are located about one half inch short (towards the front of the car). I'm sure it's due to my mistake, but does anyone know what happened? Did I bend something or is there an adjustment that moved on the frame? The rest of the top seems to fit properly over the windshield and around the closed windows (after the top has been put up).