Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-08-2015, 10:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1996 SL320
Just Another New Guy With Questions

Aloha,
Thanks for having me on the forum.
Well...I just bought a 96 sl320, with some "issues".
A quick run down would include a non working top, as in I can't get the hard top loose. But, I think that I have that problem figured out after some extensive searching around here on this site for awhile. What I can't seem to find is how to get the roll bar lowered back down manually. Any ideas?

Also, the stereo has no volume. I can hear it, but that's about it. Not being a big fan of Bose equipment, I suspect the problem is within that part of the system. Sorry, but every factory installed Bose vehicle system that I've owned was total junk, no matter what brand vehicle it was in.

The vehicle appears to have been maintained most of its life, and it is a one woman owned vehicle. Unfortunately there were no records with it.

The interior is clean and damage free, the body is clean, with the exception of a minor dent on the left QTR just behind the wheel well.

It has a new battery, new tires (spare has never been on the ground) new water pump and radiator, and radiator hoses. Yes the thought of how many times it may have been over heated before those cooling system parts were replaced did enter my mind. The vehicle runs, handles, and drives very well. But it does have more in cabin road noise than I expected from such an expensive vehicle, or from MB in general as far as that goes.

All options, except the top and the radio of course, are working. Cold A/C, although it does have a fair amount of fan noise. Again, I expected to hear just about nothing in the cabin. After all, it is a Mercedes.

So...for the most part I'm very pleased with the 320, and not really having any cold weather to worry about, I don not really care about the road noise because I'll most likely have the top down most of the time anyhow, but some help in getting that roll bar back down would be nice, because it blocks my view to the rear. Oh... I almost forgot, any one know where a guy could find a center rearview mirror. Apparently someone thought that that mirror needed to be removed to service the top latches, and broke the mirror while trying to remove it. No big deal, but it'd be nice to have one.
One last thing, any thoughts on what fair price for a 96 320 with 81k miles, and needing the top cylinders replaced would be?

Well...mahalo for any help, and for reading my post, and mostly for allowing me to join your site.

Aloha.
Old 05-08-2015, 11:45 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1996 SL500, 2008 R350 4Matic
There is no way to manually lower the roll bar. If its a 96 make sure the windows are correctly synced as this could be the issue with the roll bar as well as the top not going up down.

Radio is known to lose volume control. Can be repaired or replace with new headunit.
Old 05-09-2015, 12:12 AM

1996 SL320
Originally Posted by Pete S
There is no way to manually lower the roll bar. If its a 96 make sure the windows are correctly synced as this could be the issue with the roll bar as well as the top not going up down.

Radio is known to lose volume control. Can be repaired or replace with new headunit.
Thank you for the quick reply.
I tried to follow the procedure for the top operation as closely as I could. There's a very bad fluid leak in the cylinder that controls the top latch operation in the windshield frame. I suppose that's why the top will not release, but why those cylinders are active during the roll bar operation is above my pay grade. I'd think the roll bar system would be totally separate from the tops system during the roll bar operation. Shows how much I know about such things.

As for the radio...is it a major PIA task to service the radio? I can't even tell where a guy would even start to remove that radio.

Thanks again for the advice/help.
Aloha.
Old 05-09-2015, 12:19 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1996 SL500, 2008 R350 4Matic
You will have to get those cylinders repaired before you start trouble shooting. Do a search for TopHydraulics as they are the best in the business at prices that no one can touch. Not sure about radio removal but usually there are either 2 slits or 4 holes on the face that you can either use a tool or fabricate on yourself using thin metal if its a slit or a clothes hanger to stick in the holes to release the locks. Use google searches for these kind of things for help.

Cheers
Old 05-09-2015, 03:00 AM

1996 SL320
Originally Posted by Pete S
You will have to get those cylinders repaired before you start trouble shooting. Do a search for TopHydraulics as they are the best in the business at prices that no one can touch. Not sure about radio removal but usually there are either 2 slits or 4 holes on the face that you can either use a tool or fabricate on yourself using thin metal if its a slit or a clothes hanger to stick in the holes to release the locks. Use google searches for these kind of things for help.

Cheers
Thank you, I did find a lot of usable info about the inner workings of the top on the TopHydraulics web site. I haven't gotten around to the radio yet, and it would appear that finding a 5 pound pot of gold in a dumpster outside a homeless shelter would be easier than finding the inside rearview mirror, and its cover. Actually...the mirror is alright, the cover is what's broken, but I guess you can't get one without the other...

Onward I go,
Aloha.
Old 05-12-2015, 05:57 PM

1996 SL320
Back again,
Now there's an issue with the airbag system, as in the warning light is on. I'm wondering if anyone knows the meaning of the sticker located on the driver side door jam that states that the service date for the restraint system is...in this case 3-2011? Does this mean the system was serviced on that date, or is due for service on that date? The sticker is not very clear as to what it's meaning is.

Also, an oil leak has developed towards the front of the engine. I can't see just where, but the flat area at the bottom of the block where the pan attaches is wet on both sides, but more so on the left side, and the oil is making it's way onto the exhaust system on the right side, and smoking quite a bit as it's burned off. The strange part is the lack of oil on the ground, and the fact that the oil getting on the exhaust system seems worse when the vehicle is driven up hill for awhile, like climbing 3 to 4% grade from sea level to about 1500ft @ 50-55 mph.
There wasn't any smoke coming out from under the hood after a trip down into town, but there sure was a lot after the trip back up. I guess what I'm asking here is this, what all might have sprung an oil leak in the front of the engine? And one last question before I dive into the front of this engine. Does this engine still have a timing chain like the old OHC engines, or does it now have a belt?

Mahalo, & aloha.