SL-Class (R129) 1990-2002: SL 280, SL 300, SL 320, SL 500, SL 600, SL 60 AMG

SL/R129: 1995 sl500 security system locked out

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-29-2015, 10:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1995 SL500
1995 sl500 security system locked out

Went out and hit the remote; green light lit in door handle... and trouble began - security shut-down. Nothing worked so I disconnected the battery and after some time; re-hooked and the whole thing went into "no lights on dash light and nothing works"..... [happened ~1 yr ago... disconnected the batt, waited a few hours all went fine]

What are the reset procedures? Sequential order; like radio code first - windows first - any certain position for prayer ] Car is outside w/windows down.... and yes, there's a cat roaming around.
pdmsam@live.com
Old 05-30-2015, 03:17 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
'96 SL600, '05 S55 AMG, '06 C230
Off the top of my head, there are only a couple of reset sequences. And they can be accomplished in any order. With ignition on and doors closed, hold each window button to fully close each window. Then, fully open. This sets the limit for the controller. Start the engine and turn the steering wheel fully to the right hard stop, then fully to the left hard stop. Then straighten the front wheels. These are the 2 critical steps.
Cheers,
Jeff
Old 05-30-2015, 11:12 AM

1995 SL500
Thank you; but, no power.... security system lockout - no engine cranking..

Mercedes: the **** word for revenge OK; sour grapes.... Update: last night, batt disconnected ........ this morning w/batt still disconnected (last evening I winched the Merc under its top hoist and removed the hard top via manual release).....

Today: hooked-up batt... operated all w/switch on - engine off... did window resets and radio code. All OK.... Garbled hacking hesitant start; but started. Shut-off..... re-started as normal. Drove the car around back. Was going to wash the car --- shut-off the engine. Then decided to move it ------ back to zero nothing, won't start (special note: the radio reset wasn't exactly right as the radio worked but the antenna didn't raise)......

This car: new sheep skins, good looking, coolant looks as new always (I change out every year).... Oil looks as new each time I change and the car runs like a race car (really strong engine). Transmission fluid as new as I change it and filter ever so often....... but with this BS security system (no need for crap like this to punish the owner). Part out or sell if I can't find a remedy soon.

Is there any help; need to know if this will continue since it seems to have a mind of its own. Thank you for your help with this.
Old 05-31-2015, 05:21 PM

1995 SL500
I'm back smiling and details....

Reset: batt disconnect and shunt the hot to drain capacitors (2-4 hrs).

2.) Hook-up and switch on ---- radio ant did not come up after reset and code entry......

3.) Guess work: pulled radio unplugged & in trunk wiggled and jiggled fuses and click the ant raised ----- code in and ALL SEEMS OK

The car is in the garage, top off, cover on and haven't tried to lock it... Drove it ~150 miles today ---- and race car new... what a joy.....

Next will lock it and see if it is still OK ----- If it isn't; I'll make a new post. Ironically - the getting good contact in the fuse box seemed to be the deciding factor??????/ `1995 w/119,000 mi on it and it is a smooth machine with all fluids as new and never getting contaminated.
Old 07-05-2015, 02:37 AM

1995 500SL 2003 C32 2000 S430
I seem to be having the same/similar problem. When I use the key fob, green lite flashes but does not unlock door. I used the key to unlock the door, turned key all the lights on dash lite but starter will not engage. Also only the door I unlock with key opens. I have disconnected battery for 24 hours and still have the same results. Anyone have idea were to look please.
Old 07-05-2015, 08:05 AM

1995 SL500
Mr. Smith,

My post just above yours giving details!!!!!!! Use those procedures plus; before you start the procedures clean the fuse connectors especial if they are aluminum to remove corrosion and provide a closed circuit. Then begin starting procedure outlined.

I grounded or shunted to Earth for over 2 hrs and used the above outline. My previous attempts were fruitless until I cleaned the fuses and band majic happened......... Don't ask because I don't know; but, haven't had anymore problems.

Apparently the security need to loop and corroded fuses doesn't allow for that to happen --- anyway, it worked Sam

P.S.: those fuses that made the difference are the one's in the trunk on right back panel..... Sometimes a pencil in a drill motor and using the eraser works good to grind/polish and it rapidly conforms to shape.

Last edited by SamPickens; 07-05-2015 at 08:14 AM. Reason: Add paragraph
Old 07-05-2015, 09:19 PM

SamPickins

I cleaned all the fuses and the holder and still the same. I checked with a test light also, and have no power to the 2 white fuses ( top or bottom ). The green relay with the 30amp fuse also no power. I unplugged the relay and one terminal has power. Is your car the same or am I doing something wrong or bigger problems?
Old 07-06-2015, 07:09 AM

1995 SL500
Mr. Smith; your problem seems to exceed my expertise or my historical problem.. It appears that the electrical loop needs closing so the security check will accept its redundancy checks.

My problem when I cleaned the fuses and the electrical loop closed letting the security check know all was Okay. Or; that is what I surmise from it all --- a professional MB guy may have better knowledge without guessing like I'm doing. I'm building a knowledge base on what I assume from the circumstances ---- time could prove that a wrong assumption.

But --- my problem did exist at the white fuse ----- when I cleaned the fuse and replace it things started buzzing and working immediately ?????? A pro may know The Sam said that
Old 07-07-2015, 01:29 AM

Thank you Sam.
Old 07-08-2015, 02:25 AM

If anyone on here has can shed some experience on my problem, it will be much appreciated. Starter will not turn. When key fob is used green light flashes by door handle but doors do not unlock, red security flashing light by radio keeps blinking. If I use key in lock red light stops blinking and only that door unlocks. Vacuum pump in trunk does not run but seems to have power. I have read about a starter cut out relay but could not find were it is located to test. If anyone can direct me to the location of this relay or any help it will be very much appreciated.