SL-Class (R129) 1990-2002: SL 280, SL 300, SL 320, SL 500, SL 600, SL 60 AMG

SL/R129: Removing seat cushions to add lumbar support

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-31-2015, 08:17 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'96 SL500 Sport
Removing seat cushions to add lumbar support

I started to remove the lower seat cushion after watching a couple of videos and reading a few posts. They all say the same thing, that you start by removing the two phillips screws at the front of the cushion.
But, I spent a some time looking for them and I did not see any phillips head.
I did find two 10mm hex heads. I was leery of removing them because they might be structural. But when I put a socket on them, I realized they were really loose. So, I pulled them out and then the cushion came right out.
So, take it as an FYI, they're not always phillips heads.
Also, my goal is to add some lumbar support to the seat back. I have a really screwed up back and I plan on taking some trips in this car.
Tomorrow I'm going to a medical supply co. to get a heavy duty blood pressure cuff and I'll be installing it between the seat "foam" and the metal grid.
Shouldn't be too hard or too expensive.
I'll post how it turns out.
Old 06-06-2015, 03:28 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'96 SL500 Sport
Here's the BP cuff installed in the seat back. It took a little experimentation to figure what configuration was best - folded in half, air inlet face down and on the inboard side (in the pic I hadn't cut off the gauge yet and sealed the end).
Then it was a matter of positioning the cuff and installing the seat back in the car. Then removing the seat again, repositioning the cuff, repeat, until I got it where I wanted. The inflation bulb tucks in by the seat belt buckle and has enough length that I can pull it out a bit to inflate/deflate as needed. It was really pretty easy and the BP cuff only cost $20. I might have gotten the this idea off of this forum, so if someone feels I'm stealing their idea- my apologies.

Old 06-13-2015, 03:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
94 SL500
lumbar

You can buy a bladder made for lumbar support, I think I got mine on e-bay. I have done several this way, I placed a thin piece of plywood between the bladder and the spring, and I think I used some glue and zip ties to keep it in place. In my current r129 I installed a sheepskin cover with a memory foam cushion sewn in.