SL-Class (R129) 1990-2002: SL 280, SL 300, SL 320, SL 500, SL 600, SL 60 AMG

SL/R129: E-Clip tool to install hydraulics

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-01-2015, 04:06 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'96 SL500 Sport
E-Clip tool to install hydraulics

Previously I posted about a leaky top cylinder and deciding to take out all cylinders and send them off to TopHydraulics. Kudos to them- they got them yesterday afternoon and shipped them back this afternoon. I should have them Saturday.
I was thinking ahead about reassembly and how tight space-wise it was getting some of the e-clips off and how much more difficult it would be to get those back on.
I did find a set of e-clip tools on e-bay pretty cheap, but there was no way to hold the clip while installing. I thought about using a dab of grease to hold it in place. That would probably work, but being the "right tool for the job" guy that I am, I found this tool from Rotor Clip.
I first had to find what size the clip itself was. I went to my local hardware store and found that the size was 7/32", and also picked up some extras clips.There was no cross reference for standard sizes and Rotor Clip part numbers, so I called them and was told the tool number I needed was an A-140.
The price with shipping and handling was almost $40. Yes, it's a lot. But, after spending $560 to have the cylinders rebuilt, another $40 to save some time and a lot of aggravation is worth it.
As you can see by the pic, it's split in the middle, so as you put a clip in the tool, it spreads a little to hold the clip firmly until you install it. Pretty ingenious design.
Should make the install process go a lot easier and I won't be loosing an e-clips.
I just hope when everything is back together, the top works like it should.
Old 07-02-2015, 12:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
97R129-01W163-94E320-93500E
Definitely the right tool for the job. But, it would be great (and cost effective to own) if that tool can be adjusted to accommodate different clip sizes.
Old 07-02-2015, 12:51 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'96 SL500 Sport
Yes, it would be, but since this job uses only one size e-clip, it will serve the purpose well.