SL-Class (R129) 1990-2002: SL 280, SL 300, SL 320, SL 500, SL 600, SL 60 AMG

SL/R129: Japanese import

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-14-2015, 04:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ford Focus
Japanese import

Hi, my name is Owen and I am based in the UK,I'm,looking for advice, if anyone can help, I am currently looking at a '96 SL 500, the car is immaculate, but is a Japanese import, are there any spec. differences and would this make any difference to it's future value/appreciation ? Thanks.
Old 08-03-2015, 01:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SL 500
The answer is: Maybe!

Originally Posted by happyoldhector
Hi, my name is Owen and I am based in the UK,I'm,looking for advice, if anyone can help, I am currently looking at a '96 SL 500, the car is immaculate, but is a Japanese import, are there any spec. differences and would this make any difference to it's future value/appreciation ? Thanks.
Being originally sold in the Japanese market may add to value. I assume rh drive? I am aware of euro spec and US spec versions. When built and shipped to specific market they did make some accomodations. Emmission and lighting standards changed slightly. Original documentation like delivery info, service book, original window sticker , number of owners, mileage ,prev accident dmg? and option pkgs SL1 and SL2 can change future value. Anything really different in options, exterior color, interior color, sports pkg,etc. stands out when compared to UK spec model? Anyone know if tuned differently (emmissions) for Japanese market.? That was a very expensive auto new in Japan ! I believe the exchange rate in 96 plus taxes on a 5 liter V8 pushed the prices up on any SL sold in Japan. The tax on engines over 2.5 liter jumps dramatically there! I like all R 129s, if you like it and priced fairly , buy and enjoy Owen!
Old 08-03-2015, 08:11 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
1994 AMG E60 (W124); 1997 SL600; & few others that I cannot fit in here
Owen, if that SL500 is already there in UK, you are clear with the VAT there and so forth.

What you want is an official dealer import model by either Yanase or MB Japan. These have higher values than other ones that were imported by non official dealers in new and used formats.

Specs are impeccable and changes are minor relative to EU or US. Smog emissions control is very strict also. All in all, dealer models with no history should be fine.

In general, driven mileage (km) is much lower than US or UE because people here do not drive as much. Not uncommon at all for 96 model to have well below 80,000 km easy.

When I got my SL and E60 back then as used, both of them had roughly 6,000 km only.

w/ smiles
Jimmy