SL-Class (R129) 1990-2002: SL 280, SL 300, SL 320, SL 500, SL 600, SL 60 AMG

SL/R129: Anybody tried out the replacement blower motor resistor from Partstrain?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-29-2015, 06:21 PM

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
350 SL, R230 - 300 SL, R129 - 1964 Corvette Sting Ray Sport Coupe - Porsche 911 Twin Turbo (sold)
Anybody tried out the replacement blower motor resistor from Partstrain?

I was checking the net for a replacement blower motor resistor for R129 and i foun the one on the picture to the left from PartsTrain and it cost including shipping is only $36.15

The price makes me wonder if it works since the regulator cost $353 at AutoHaus AZ(see the picture to the right)
Note that the regulator AutoHaus AZ sells is an original Behr regulator

The cheap regulator from Partstrain looks a bit different as well
Attached Thumbnails Anybody tried out the replacement blower motor resistor from Partstrain?-bilder-av-regulatoren-til-viftemotor-hella-ref-nr-5ds-351-320-001-misterauto.-pris-2069-kr..jpg   Anybody tried out the replacement blower motor resistor from Partstrain?-www.autohausaz.com.-pris-374.jpg  
Old 07-30-2015, 07:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1996 Mercedes-Benz SL500
A resistor is a fairly simple electronic component. The biggest difference in price has to do with the tolerance of the part. If the PartsTrain resistor has a much looser tolerance and it falls out of the specification for the blower motor, you can fry the motor. If it falls within the tolerance there should be no problem. It appears there are 2 wires on one side of the device and 2 or 3 on the other. This would indicate to me there is more going on than just an in-line resistor (like you would find on a DRL* circuit). Without seeing the electronic diagram of the internals of the part there is no way to tell if this is a simple resistor or something a bit more complex? Perhaps the resistance varies?

If you have a meter and can measure the resistance (ohms) across all combinations of the wires and they match (within a few %) you should be fine. (This assumes a simple resistor, NOT a more complex electronic circuit). Of course you would need a GOOD version of both resistors to do such a test.

I got a new blower motor on-line for around $100 shipped. If you fry yours you'll need a new one along with the resistor.

Perhaps the higher price for the AutoHaus part is really just the huge mark-up for the 'Genuine' replacement part?

*DRL = Daytime Running Light