SL-Class (R129) 1990-2002: SL 280, SL 300, SL 320, SL 500, SL 600, SL 60 AMG

SL/R129: 1995 SL500 Roof Won't Open - Some Lights Though...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-16-2015, 04:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1995 SL500
1995 SL500 Roof Won't Open - Some Lights Though...

Morning all.

Went to put the roof down yesterday as it was a bit sunny (for once of late!) and nothing happened - there's no activity whatsoever, not even a whirring from the pump in the boot.

For the past few weeks the roof light has been glowing when the roof is up (as per the photo below) but it has been working fine - up and down on many occasions. It does flash when driving, but if you put the roof down it goes out and all is fine - light comes on again as per the photo when it's back up and secured again.

1995 SL500 Roof Won't Open - Some Lights Though...-img-20150815-03009.jpg

I thought I would try holding the Rollbar button in for 10 seconds or so as I have heard that that performs some sort of reset operation however it would not move or even attempt to move (again no whirring or any sound at all) but the lights on the Rollbar button did light up - see photo below (never seen that happen before!).

1995 SL500 Roof Won't Open - Some Lights Though...-img-20150815-03007.jpg

Anyone got any thoughts as to where I can start? I was thinking a fuse in the first instance but it's never that easy. Could be the roof control module under the rear seat - maybe - but then again, maybe not. Could be something has just come loose somewhere.

Any pointers greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Regards

TMW
Old 08-24-2015, 03:48 PM

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
94 SL 600, 98 993, 89 XJS Conv., 85 Daimlier Princess 16 Hybrid Lincoln 16 Chevy crewcab
My "go to" person is Klaus with Tophydraulics.
The light "on", in my experience, is the process has not completed the cycle. Light, horn are the warning signals with the horn being the warning for the more danger ( hard top not secure! ) I'm not sure if the window sync is a factor, nor roll bar but they could be part of the minor issue that excites the light on signal.
Old 08-31-2015, 08:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1996 Mercedes-Benz SL500
Magnetic sensor?

I'm not sure if this is the issue but, when I replaced all the cylinders in my top (1996 SL500) I had an issue with the small magnet located in the top of windshield rail where the 2 locking actuators are. The sensor is in the trim piece you have to remove to access the hydraulics above the windshield. If the sensor is not working it would think the top is still not closed completely even if the top were locked. This may also be how the vehicle senses the hardtop vs. the soft top?

The other item I would look at is the small switch on the drivers side bow extension cylinder. This switch tells the top that it is up. Perhaps this switch will stop the top from moving if it thinks it is down when in fact it is up?

Not sure how to test this though. Just thought it may be worth looking at.
Old 09-07-2015, 07:38 PM
SPONSOR

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts
03 SL Kleemann, 97 SL320 pano top, 95 Lorinser E320 Cabrio, Ferrari 360, Tesla X
Originally Posted by tmwsccsh
Morning all.

Went to put the roof down yesterday as it was a bit sunny (for once of late!) and nothing happened - there's no activity whatsoever, not even a whirring from the pump in the boot.

For the past few weeks the roof light has been glowing when the roof is up (as per the photo below) but it has been working fine - up and down on many occasions. It does flash when driving, but if you put the roof down it goes out and all is fine - light comes on again as per the photo when it's back up and secured again.

Attachment 314599

I thought I would try holding the Rollbar button in for 10 seconds or so as I have heard that that performs some sort of reset operation however it would not move or even attempt to move (again no whirring or any sound at all) but the lights on the Rollbar button did light up - see photo below (never seen that happen before!).

Attachment 314598

Anyone got any thoughts as to where I can start? I was thinking a fuse in the first instance but it's never that easy. Could be the roof control module under the rear seat - maybe - but then again, maybe not. Could be something has just come loose somewhere.

Any pointers greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Regards

TMW
TMW,

has your problem been fixed? If not, let's start with the basics:

1) Do your windows drop about 1/2" when you open the doors?
2) Has there been any work done on the top's hydraulic system lately?
3) Has your battery been low or disconnected, or has the car been jump started?

Klaus

www.tophydraulicsinc.com