SL-Class (R129) 1990-2002: SL 280, SL 300, SL 320, SL 500, SL 600, SL 60 AMG

SL/R129: Suspension strut on top of front shock absorbers does not fit my 1992 300 SL

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-18-2015, 11:44 AM

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts
350 SL, R230 - 300 SL, R129 - 1964 Corvette Sting Ray Sport Coupe - Porsche 911 Twin Turbo (sold)
Suspension strut on top of front shock absorbers does not fit my 1992 300 SL

The first pair of new suspension struts i put on my 1992 300 SL is called Optimal F8-5811(cheap non original parts)but as soon as i drove the car the shock absorber hit the edge og the suspension strut where it should have gone into the sleeve on the suspension strut

I had to buy new and i ordered original Mercedes suspension struts for my car from a Mercedes parts shop but when i recived the new struts it did not say Mercedes on the box but Corteco.
The Corteco suspension struts comes labeled with the correct mercedes part numbers, part number: A 124 320 04 73
I asked the shop about this and they told me that this was the parts mercedes used(i have a hard time to belive that since all original Mercedes parts have the Mercedes star stamped or casted on the parts)
Any forum members here heard of Corteco parts that is supposed to be original mercedes parts?

The problem is that when i measure the inside of the sleeve in the new suspension struts the diameter about 2,4 mm tighter that the original ones that my car came with
The new struts also have an edge inside the sleeve which the original suspensions struts does not have

On the picture to the left you can see where i marked with red lines where the suspension strut have a smaller diameter than my old original ones. On the picture to the right you can see where the edge is inside the sleeve on the new struts and there is no edge inside the sleeve on the old original ones

On the picture to the far right you can see where i have marked with 2 red arrows that the shock absorber hits the edge of the sleeves instead of traveling inside the sleeves as the shock absorber is supposed to do.

See the last picture where i have tried to draw how the shock absorber is supposed to travel up inside the suspension strut and not hit the edge of the suspension strut

Since the new suspension struts have a smaller diameter inside the sleeve i had to put my old original worn suspension struts back on the car
Any here that have had this problem?
Attached Thumbnails Suspension strut on top of front shock absorbers does not fit my 1992 300 SL-sleeve-smaller-diameter-than-my-old-original-ones.jpg   Suspension strut on top of front shock absorbers does not fit my 1992 300 SL-original-old-suspension-struts-does-not-have-edge-see-red-arrow-.jpg   Suspension strut on top of front shock absorbers does not fit my 1992 300 SL-instead-going-inside-sleeve-shock-absorber-hits-edge-sleeve.jpg   Suspension strut on top of front shock absorbers does not fit my 1992 300 SL-shock-absorber-hits-edge-sleeve-see-orange-arrow-instead-travel-inside-sle.jpg  

Last edited by TheSaint; 10-18-2015 at 12:08 PM.
Old 11-16-2015, 02:26 PM

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
94 SL 600, 98 993, 89 XJS Conv., 85 Daimlier Princess 16 Hybrid Lincoln 16 Chevy crewcab
For several years GUSMB has been active in the world of "Benz" and lives in your area of the world. I would ask him.
Corteco has been a supplier for suspension and damper globes. My system ( 600 ) has hydraulic hoses that attach to the top of the mounting plate you pictured.
One site writer has told us about the cap giving way and letting the suspension member come thru the steel of the hood.
I hope GUS is still active. not certain if he is in both worlds or just Benzworld.