SL-Class (R129) 1990-2002: SL 280, SL 300, SL 320, SL 500, SL 600, SL 60 AMG

SL/R129: Roof switch light stays on, along with lights on roll bar switch. Rollbar won't funct

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-05-2016, 10:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1996 red SL500
Roof switch light stays on, along with lights on roll bar switch. Rollbar won't funct

An odd series of events:

First, about three weeks ago my yellow bulb indicator light came on. This happened before, and a new bulb in the taillight solved it. This time it was one of the 9004 halogen bulbs in the headlight assembly. No big deal.

Well, I drove it that way for three work days (my commute is very short--four miles-- and is only partially in darkness in the morning). I had a break coming up (I teach), so I figured I'd replace the bulb on the break.

During Christmas break I went about three days without driving the car, got in one day and the battery was dead. Bummer.

AAA gave me a jump start in the driveway, I drove it around town, and it started just fine for a couple days.

I went out of town for a few days, and when I came back the battery was dead again.

So I bought a new battery (the old one was seven years old). I installed it tonight, and replaced the halogen bulb. All that is back to normal.

HOWEVER, the glitch now is that two things are happening:

1. The convertible roof switch is now on full time while the car runs (or if the key is turned to the on position). No flashing. Just solid red. Note: The convertible roof still opens and closes just fine.

2. The roll bar won't function. It's currently in the down position. The switch does nothing for it. The lights on the roll bar switch are on full time as well when the car is on or running.

I have a feeling there is a power drain on the battery that is related to all this (the roll bar and roof switch light actually decided to stay on full time before I changed the battery (but not before the first jump start).

I'm sure it's an easy reset of some kind (or perhaps fuse replacement), but I'm not sure. I scoured the owner's manual but no luck.

1996 SL500.

Thank you.
Old 01-06-2016, 12:16 PM

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
94 SL 600, 98 993, 89 XJS Conv., 85 Daimlier Princess 16 Hybrid Lincoln 16 Chevy crewcab
If memory serves!
Light "on" means cycle is not complete for the top button. chime and light is a danger warning about safety ( top not latched completely? ) and Benz does not want the car driven!
I would check fuses first. But with that said, the quality of the contact is as important as the fuse bridge. I replaced all the fuses, after cleaning the mounting base with Cu fuses. The Al had more oxide, and others in the forums had reported a pitting in the metal contacts.
The roof top system does have a connection to the roll bar so that may be the light "on" connection. The two systems do not share CPU or hydraulics pressure or controllers.
Any time the battery is removed, the vehicle has a memory clearing event, but also a "reset" opportunity.
Good luck with your "sort thru" of the problem
Old 01-06-2016, 07:34 PM

1996 red SL500
I'm not getting the flashing roof light or an alarm. The light is simply on all the time, whether the roof is up or down. Same with the roll bar light (but roll bar doesn't work).

The roll bar does seem to be trying, on its own, when the car is on (but not running).

At least the car drives well. Germans and their electronics are not their strong point. Oh well.
Old 07-08-2022, 11:36 AM

Mercedes SL 320 1996
Mr

Have exactly the same problem with my 96 SL320.
battery went flat and then got an audible warning and roof light came on and stayed on .
Roof works but anti roll bar lights are on on the switch and they do not operate anti roll bar.
Did you get your car sorted?
kind rgds

Peter
Old 07-08-2022, 11:20 PM

Received 53 Likes on 45 Posts
06' Audi Quattro, 00'SL500
I saw a U-tube and the subject was about voltage drop and no current at the relay pin. Turns out there was a lot of corrosion at the fuse box, every fuse had corrosion and the female pins were corroded as well. The fuse box right inside the door under the windshield, maybe a water leak from rain-snow build up. It was a good subject to watch and the guy was professional in his explanation of the his process of eliminating every wire with his test light and meter.
I know this may not fix your problems but it may give you some insight to finding switching, relay and fuse issues.

Last edited by BenzBopper; 07-08-2022 at 11:23 PM.