SL-Class (R129) 1990-2002: SL 280, SL 300, SL 320, SL 500, SL 600, SL 60 AMG

SL/R129: Limp mode 1998 SL600

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-01-2016, 01:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
98 SL600
Limp mode 1998 SL600

Replaced all broken plastic vacuum lines. Is there a procedure to calibrate the "drive by wire" accelerator peddle to the two throttle bodies. There is no physical mechanical linkage, so I am assuming there must be a procedure and test for electronic accelerator pedal??
Old 02-01-2016, 02:56 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,019 Likes on 947 Posts
1999 E300TD
What's your VIN!!
Old 02-01-2016, 03:17 PM

98 SL600
The VIN is: WDBFA76F5WF156227
It is in also need of a break job. The BAS ESP and Check engine had come on. But now only the CHECK ENGINE LIGHT is on. Also the dash displays a graffic of a wrench and small clock I think with "730" displayed, and I guess thats a service reminder. The car came without manual.
The following was emailed this morning to Victor who rebuilds throttle bodies for most Benz and has lots of great youtube videos. But he has not replied yet:

Hay Victor,
thank you for all of your great YouTube videos.
I own a 1998 SL600 ( Panoroof model), that I bought from a wealthy getleman in Florida a couple years back. It has only 65k low mostly highway miles.
I want to keep it a for few more years, if I can find the kind of info you provided. I am retired veteran and now have time to tinker and restore this great car.
(I previously owned 93 SL300 and I think a 1990 350SLD but hurricane Katrina and salvage yards got them.)
My current Sl600 broke the plastic ride height adjustable link, under right front side which caused the front fenders to drop to top of tires. I replaced it and vehicle ride height adjust works good.
However almost right after, I started noticing loss of power and eventually what I think is limp mode. Scan codes indicated miss fire on one cyl and secondary air failure. I replaced one coil and wire. I discovered many breaks in small vacuum lines going to and from manifold supply to both EGR valves so replaced all. There is a deep sound to exhaust when reving up RPMs. Still I belive it stays in limp mode.
The smog pump did not come on yesterday or this morning, but it may be due to our weather (ambient temperture was 60 to 65 degrees when I was checking.)
I also checked for voltage to pump on start up and had zero. I unbplugged the two wire lead going to pump and the coil read 3 ohms.
The throttle bodies are "drive by wire" design so the info and excellent videos, I saw on your site were not able to help me see how to reset or recalibrate ACCELERATOR PEDAL devise. Is that my next step?
Do you offer video on these or any info on these later designs? I have first replaced the fuel pump and filter, even when I doubted that was the real problem. I did this because I read that these SL do not like sitting up without running. This vehicle has had a previous owner and myself not drive it for weeks at a time, hence the low milage for a 1998.
What should the vacuum be at idol? I notice the MPG fuel consumption gauge does not move at all when I rev motor. I think it works on vacuum like old school MPG gauges. I feel positive my problem was the plastic vacuum lines broken, and nowI just need to recalibrate or sync accelerator PEDAL potentiometer devise with vehicle computer.
Your help is appreciated. Thanks again.
Old 02-01-2016, 07:07 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,019 Likes on 947 Posts
1999 E300TD
The VIN is: WDBFA76F5WF156227
It is in also need of a break job. The BAS ESP and Check engine had come on. But now only the CHECK ENGINE LIGHT is on. Also the dash displays a graffic of a wrench and small clock I think with "730" displayed, and I guess thats a service reminder. The car came without manual.

FYI the are about 25 other throttle control documents that you may want to review with a subscription to WIS Startek.

Regarding throttle body rebuilds---there is much mumbo jumbo on the web about the topic and much is misrepresenting so called repairs--simply be careful--the factory WIS docs are you best bet

Last edited by Plutoe; 02-02-2016 at 06:18 AM.
Old 02-01-2016, 08:52 PM

98 SL600
Plutoe, thanks for PDF files, however the throttle body accelerator control on this 98 model Sl600 has no mechanical cable as did the pre 98's. It is the "drive by wire" designed. I believe Benz were the pioneer in this design and now its used on many if not most vehicles built today. I need the tech info on how it is set up or "learned" from vehicle accelerator pedal to twin throttle bodies and CPU. Im hoping I do not have to bring to dealer for them to do it with their Star equipment. If so, then I want to make certain that whatever caused the LHM (limp home mode) does not do it again.
May I ask what is this subscription to WIS Startek? I have owned SL300 and 300SLD and was able to keep them going without much help but the new hi tech stuff like DRIVE BY WIRE and the complexities Benz can create, makes me think twice about stepping up to even newer models. lol Thanks for your help.
Old 02-01-2016, 08:58 PM

98 SL600
DAS Xentry, I have check wires and vacuum lines which I replaced the notorious small vac lines, and my model does not have the problmatic wire hornace made with deteriorating wire insulation. I do wish to know what is the vacuum suppose to be at idol? All fuses are good. I just now checked code with scanner and got P1300 which is CKP Sensor Circuit Malfunction, Bank 2 (left) Now I need to research what that is???
Thanks for all your help. This SL has only 63K miles so I want to get it right and enjoy for a while.