SL-Class (R129) 1990-2002: SL 280, SL 300, SL 320, SL 500, SL 600, SL 60 AMG

SL/R129: 1997 sl600

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-03-2016, 02:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
none yet
1997 sl600

Hello everyone, i am new to this site. I have always loved the sl600 and i have the opprotunity to buy one. I just wanted a little input from you guys.
The one im looking at is a black 1997 sl600 that has 96,000 miles on it. The milage is a bit high but the car seems very affordable to me. Especially, in my eyes, to have such a classy car. Not to mention a hard top convertable with a v12. lol
Can you guy give me some imput about the cars, maybe some pros and cons ???
I just think these cars are so nice and undervalued considering what they costed brand new.
BTW the car is for sale for 10,000.00
Thank you in advance for and advice and imput
Old 02-05-2016, 04:34 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
1994 AMG E60 (W124); 1997 SL600; & few others that I cannot fit in here
Welcome to the site, Shawn. Great that you are interested in the V12.

I have owned mine for almost 17 years now, bought used from first owner at around 7000km clocked then. Now she has around 105,000km. (She is one of the bunch so not driven daily).

Having owned several SL500 & AMG before the V12, I was a bit hesitant to leap for V12 for the usual reasons ...too much power, who needs all that, expensive maintenance, prone to problems and so forth.

Suffice to say that the late model V12 is the best choice with most issues addressed. However, maintenances are mandatory and sometimes rather costly.

Once you enjoy the V12, it is hard to go back the other way. The motor is virtually bullet proof, smooth, powerful and ample torque. Nothing quite like it.

I can keep going on, but all in all, it is a privilege to own V12.

The major factor you ought to consider is the maintenance costs. Also, if you do not intend to keep her long, then it might not be a good choice.

That price quoted may be a bit on the high side, unless she is super nice.

Either way, think things out well and good luck, whatever you decide.

w/ smiles
Jimmy
Old 02-05-2016, 07:02 AM

none yet
Jimmy, thank you for your reply. Let me start off by saying that if I do buy her, I will be keeping her. I have loved the sheer look of these cars from the first time I saw one. And I just can't help but think that these cars belong in every car show out there. I mean why not right? I understand it's not American muscle or a Japanese car that everyone wants to show off. But it's a awesome German built vehicle that will stand the test of time and I'm sure will be around a lot longer then others. And I think that says a lot compared to the limited quantity of these cars that we built and even fewer shipped to the states. If my memory serves me I believe that there were only like 740 97's in the us. Sometimes it's hard to find the correct info but I think that's about right. So in my eyes, I believe these cars need to be shown off.
I've never owned one before. What are the high maintenance cost you are referring too? Are they dealer expenses? I can work on anything, lol. It will be a learning curve being I never owned a benz. But I'm not afraid to read and get my hands dirty.

Thank you for your imput
Old 02-05-2016, 06:06 PM

Shawn, with your attitude, I believe it would be the right match for you.

As stated earlier, I have had my doubts of owning a "big" V12, but once you have it, the experience is sublime and gratifying. I do own quite a few cars ranging from tiny ones to V12 of various marques. It is true that V12 is not for everyone, but then it is hard to deny all the merits either. Many negative views are from those that have never driven one themselves.

Maintenance costs can vary a lot depending on the conditions and how well taken care before. Just like any other cars, routine usage is a must to keep them in good state.

During my ownership, I had my V12 practically stored for close to two years because I was preoccupied with the others. Bringing her back to duty required something like $7000 of refreshing.

Otherwise, repairs and maintenances are routine and would keep the car in tip top shape. Things like shocks replacement was somewhat more than other SL500/320 because the V12 uses special ones, but nothing prohibitive.

If you can much much of the works, unlike myself, then you can cut down the cost considerably, and enjoy along the way too. Things that need attentions are no different from any other cars.

There are pros and cons, but I cannot stress enough that the V12 is an iconic MB, smooth, powerful, built like a tank with pride in ownership. It was the flagship after all.

As for the prices, it is hard to comment, but I just saw an "ad" over at the Bring A Trailer and Craigslist (?) for a 1998 MB V12 for $3800 obo ! The car is in Sacramento. High mileage with seems like very minor cosmetic damage. Maybe worth checking.

Good luck with your search.

w/ smiles
Jimmy
Attached Thumbnails 1997 sl600-2011_0514_110852-imgp0762.jpg  
Old 02-05-2016, 06:22 PM

none yet
Jimmy , thanks again for your input. and yeah as far as the repairs go im confident that I can do the work. Im going to go really look the car over this weekend. And decide if im going to make the move. I cant stand to see the car sit there. lol... you just don't see these cars every day and I know ill hate myself if I don't get serious and decide yes or no. ill keep you posted and post a pic if I get it. thank you again
Old 02-05-2016, 09:48 PM

Hope the car checks all the important boxes for you.

For the asking price of $10,000, she ought to be in very good shape.

w/ smiles
Jimmy