SL-Class (R129) 1990-2002: SL 280, SL 300, SL 320, SL 500, SL 600, SL 60 AMG

SL/R129: Help With Equipment Descriptions

Old 02-11-2016, 09:25 PM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
2002 Mercedes Benz SL500
Question Help With Equipment Descriptions

The attached is an image of the datacard for my car from the WIS/ASRA. I understand the terminology, however I would like a little clarification of exactly what that terminology means physically on the car specifically:

#524 PAINTWORK - PRESERVATION
Does this mean the paint was treated with some kind of sealer or chemical treatment?

#772 AMG STYLING PACKAGE-FRONT SPOILER, SIDE SKIRT
Is this the package that designates the car as an AMG or sport or what?

#774 SHELL MODIFICATION FOR AMG-WHEELS
Did they use wider fenders and/or quarter panels or larger diameter wheel wells in order to accomodate the AMG wheels. My car currently has staggered 18" AMG wheels with 8" and 9 1/2" widths.

Any information would be appreciated

Thanks,
Mike
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Datacard.PDF (50.2 KB, 217 views)
Old 02-12-2016, 02:02 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Hi Mike,
Best of luck with your SL, generally a designation for amg front spoiler means yes amg sport package. But I believe all 2002's were sent to the US with the sport pack (side skirts, chin spoiler etc.) the fender prep was always described to me as rolling the inside edge of the fenders away from the wheels only noticeable when you run your hand along that edge. No wider fenders or quarter panels at all, sometimes the dealers did the fender prep on cars they received as they did on my old '94. As for paint preservation beats me possibly a clear coat depending on your cars color.
Old 02-12-2016, 08:20 PM

2002 Mercedes Benz SL500
kbdixon;

Thanks for the good luck wishes. I'm hoping I won't need it, but you never know.

I don't know if there is a clear coat or anything on it. It's super hard to tell since it's black.

I'll check on the rolled fenders tomorrow and see what's what.

Thanks for the input,
Mike
Old 02-16-2016, 06:32 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
My '94 was black and it had a clear coat as well as a slightly copper tint in the right light
Old 02-16-2016, 07:29 AM

2002 Mercedes Benz SL500
I don't see any kind of a coppery tint or any other color reflecting from the paint. The black is VERY black, almost as if you could fall into it. It's like a mirror. Other than show cars, I've not seen this kind of paint on any production car. Considering it's age, either somethings been done to it or the PO really took good care of it. I'm wondering if it did have a clear coat and someone had the car professionally detailed including color sanding and polishing.

I still wish I could figure out what the "paintwork preservation" means in Mercedes-Benz speak. I've been on the phone with Mercedes Me and the ladies there don't have a clue. Probably because they were still in elementary school when the car was built.

Thank you for the information. It does add food for thought.
Old 02-18-2016, 10:59 PM

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
04 E500, 00 SL500, 99 SL500, 94 E420, 92 500E, 92 500E, 92 300CE, 06 Lexus GX470
Originally Posted by PhoenixOp
I don't see any kind of a coppery tint or any other color reflecting from the paint. The black is VERY black, almost as if you could fall into it. It's like a mirror. Other than show cars, I've not seen this kind of paint on any production car. Considering it's age, either somethings been done to it or the PO really took good care of it. I'm wondering if it did have a clear coat and someone had the car professionally detailed including color sanding and polishing.

I still wish I could figure out what the "paintwork preservation" means in Mercedes-Benz speak. I've been on the phone with Mercedes Me and the ladies there don't have a clue. Probably because they were still in elementary school when the car was built.

Thank you for the information. It does add food for thought.
524 used to be a special wax for overseas shipping to protect the paint from salt and the environment, rumor is that it caused pollution to remove it, I think they use the plastic sheets now instead.. it's not the clear coat which is part of the paint finish

772 is the AMG front and rear bumpers with matching side skirts

774 is larger wheel wells for those AMG larger wheels, I have all of the same codes as well on my 2000 and my 1999 had them also
Old 02-19-2016, 09:43 AM

2002 Mercedes Benz SL500
ohollenbeck;

Thanks for more details. Did your cars come with 18" wheels. According to the data card mine came with 17" wheels. My guess is somewhere along the way someone swapped them out, but just a guess.

Thanks,
Mike
Old 10-20-2020, 07:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1989 560sec 1995 c220
Originally Posted by PhoenixOp
The attached is an image of the datacard for my car from the WIS/ASRA. I understand the terminology, however I would like a little clarification of exactly what that terminology means physically on the car specifically:

#524 PAINTWORK - PRESERVATION
Does this mean the paint was treated with some kind of sealer or chemical treatment?

#772 AMG STYLING PACKAGE-FRONT SPOILER, SIDE SKIRT
Is this the package that designates the car as an AMG or sport or what?

Did they use wider fenders and/or quarter panels or larger diameter wheel wells in order to accomodate the AMG wheels. My car currently has staggered 18" AMG wheels with 8" and 9 1/2" widths.

Thanks,
Mike
hey Mike I know this post is old but just wondering where you generated that data card with all of the AMG packaging information for your SL? I just got the same packaged car and want to confirm some parts. thanks
Old 10-21-2020, 09:26 AM

Received 60 Likes on 44 Posts
'00 SL600
Originally Posted by Vicoworld
hey Mike I know this post is old but just wondering where you generated that data card with all of the AMG packaging information for your SL? I just got the same packaged car and want to confirm some parts. thanks
I use lastvin.com

I think you’ll find it’s very good!
Old 10-21-2020, 11:59 AM

Received 91 Likes on 79 Posts
001 s600, 94 sl600
MB termology?

#524 PAINTWORK - PRESERVATION means just what it says--a spray on coating to provide some additional paint protection durability?

#772 AMG STYLING PACKAGE-FRONT SPOILER, SIDE
Is this the package that designates the as an AMG or sport or what? NO it is only the front spoiler and rocker panel fascia. NO AMG hard parts. NO AMG badging allowed

Did they use wider fenders and/or quarter panels or larger diameter wheel wells in to accommodate the AMG wheels. My currently has staggered 18" AMG wheels with 8" and 9 1/2" widths.
They have to modify the fender openings to accommodate the wider and larger diameter wheels and tires that come with the styling package. These two 'packages' are strictly cosmetic (they do look great.

You can phone MBUSA Customer Support, give the nice Lady the VIN number and ask for an email of The Build Sheet--which will clearly List EVERY ITEM that was installed in/on that vehicle at the factory. Any Dealer additions or

modifications are not included in the Official Build Sheet.

Thanks,
Mike[/QUOTE]