Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-14-2016, 06:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1999 SL500
AC Acting odd

Hi guys. New guy here.

1999 SL500 USA Spec car.

My AC is acting odd. I found an informative but old post that explains how to run a diagnostic test, which I will do in the morning after the car cools off, per the thread.

In the meantime this is the problem.

1) Cools fine in auto mode set at 72F. The air is ICE cold and blows when initially turned on.
2) After a while, the volume of air flow decreases, but the temp output is still ICE cold, however there is a considerable diminished effectiveness to maintain the set temp.
3) The odd part, the AUTO fan speed shows that it is increasing on the display as if it is trying to keep up with the increasing temps in the car and maintain the 72F setting. BUT it is doing exactly the opposite, the air flow is decreasing but the temp is still cold.

Any ideas or links to threads?
Old 03-14-2016, 08:41 PM

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
94 SL 600, 98 993, 89 XJS Conv., 85 Daimlier Princess 16 Hybrid Lincoln 16 Chevy crewcab
Having recently replaced the HVAC dash control, go thru the diagnostics carefully.
The system is complex and not an easy fix for the DIY home mechanic, unless you have the system tested! The parts a easy to swap but may need to be programmed to operate fully.
Old 04-12-2016, 02:37 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2006 E350
ac icing at freeway speeds

Originally Posted by BHBarr
Hi guys. New guy here.

1999 SL500 USA Spec car.

My AC is acting odd. I found an informative but old post that explains how to run a diagnostic test, which I will do in the morning after the car cools off, per the thread.

1) Cools fine in auto mode set at 72F. The air is ICE cold and blows when initially turned on.
2) After a while, the volume of air flow decreases, but the temp output is still ICE cold, however there is a considerable diminished effectiveness to maintain the set temp.
3) The odd part, the AUTO fan speed shows that it is increasing on the display as if it is trying to keep up with the increasing temps in the car and maintain the 72F setting. BUT it is doing exactly the opposite, the air flow is decreasing but the temp is still cold.

My 2006 E350 seems slow to cool around town. On the freeway after extended high speed driving, the evaporator ices up & the airflow decreases. I have to turn off the compressor for a while to let the ice melt, repeat the cycle periodically. Happens even with high ambient temps outside. Sounds like you have the same problem.

Is this a bad evap temp sensor?

Last edited by PeterLech; 04-12-2016 at 02:40 AM.
Old 04-12-2016, 07:21 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,019 Likes on 947 Posts
1999 E300TD
There have been numerous technical service bulletins relating to evaporator icing---maybe one of them applies to your situation---I'd call a dealer to clarify!!
Old 04-12-2016, 12:33 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2006 E350
Originally Posted by Plutoe
There have been numerous technical service bulletins relating to evaporator icing---maybe one of them applies to your situation---I'd call a dealer to clarify!!
Thanks for this info. I tend to forget about the problem when around town, and then go on another big road trip and get hit with it.

Are the TSBs available online anywhere? I am kind of allergic to going to dealers after some bad experiences, most lately with a failed yaw sensor.
Old 04-13-2016, 11:31 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
1998 SL500
Originally Posted by BHBarr
Hi guys. New guy here.

1999 SL500 USA Spec car.

The symptoms you describe are typical of an undercharged system--unfortunately if it is undercharged it is most likely leaking and most AC repair shops will not top it off as it violates federal and most states' law--and will insist on fixing the leak rather than just loading a can or two of SUVA one or twice a year.

The good news is you can do it yourself. Harbor Freight has a good manifold/gauge set for $60 (sometimes less), and you can buy r134a for $12 to $15 per 12 oz. can.

The web is loaded with DIY tutorials and videos on how to check the refrigerant charge and add more if needed....

---------------------------------------------------
HF also has a very capable vacuum pump for $100 (again often for less). Buy that and with a little knowledge you will have all you need to repair anything that could go wrong. I have had that same pump for years and it works just fine--used it last New Yearsv Eve day to install a new HVAC system in my house.

Last edited by cliffyk; 04-15-2016 at 11:49 AM.
Old 04-15-2016, 10:29 AM

1994 AMG E60 (W124); 1997 SL600; & few others that I cannot fit in here
Not an expert myself, but seems like a failed register (?).

Very recently, my SL600 (1997) A/C started acting funny and had to replace the said failed register. At the same time, had the fan blower unit (pretty large stuff) replaced due to parts failing that resulted in funny sound.

Now all is well again.

w/ smiles
Jimmy
Old 04-15-2016, 12:35 PM

1998 SL500
Somewhat counter-intuitively an undercharged refrigeration system can result in increased cooling capacity--albeit briefly and with a big gotcha.

In a moderately undercharged auto AC system, when the operating pressure at the expansion valve drops to < 58 psi, the vaporization temperature of the r134a refrigerant drops to 32° F or less--this creates the "..air is ICE cold..." condition reported by the OP.

However when this happens moisture in the air being cooled forms frost on the evaporator coil and fins. In a now runaway process¹ the frost builds to a layer of ice that eventually blocks air flow through the evaporator--this is the reported "...volume of air flow decreases, but the temp output is still ICE cold..."

--------------------------------------
¹ - Not only does the ice buildup block air flow over the coil reducing cooling capacity, it is also as Eskimo's know an effective thermal insulator--thus insulating the coil and preventing efficient absorption of heat from the passing air--allowing the frost to build into a thicker and thicker layer of ice.