SL-Class (R129) 1990-2002: SL 280, SL 300, SL 320, SL 500, SL 600, SL 60 AMG

SL/R129: Oh no another 129 soft top issue!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-24-2016, 01:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SL320
Oh no another 129 soft top issue!

Hi All
I have been struggling with my 1998 SL soft top. I have done the window reset procedure and the roll bar reset and the soft top will not go up at all.
1. The hard top releases and locks fine.
2. The roll bar goes up and down fine when the soft top is stowed.
3. The Windows go up and down fine in all situations.
4. The roof if raised manually locks in up front perfectly and the bow does not lock on this car.
5. If the roof is put up manually it will lower very nicely. Windows go down and then up when roof is back stowed.
6. With engine running the roof stowed a push and hold on the roof button results in the roof remaining in place and the light flashes until released when glows red steadily and the roll bar switch shows two steady red lights. If the engine is turned off and the keys removed the lights go out and all is fine until the roof control is pushed forward.

I have read that Klaus is the expert on this issue and many seem to have had issues with this type of roof - any help would be most appreciated as it is the only thing on this car that I find tricky to try and fix.

All the best
Old 04-26-2016, 05:48 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1992 s400 1995 sl500
yes Klaus is the expert.
just got my actuators back from Klaus couple of weeks ago now, Klaus did a fantastic job,
your problem sounds like the one I had , after putting my actuator's back in,

sounds like faulty micro switch on main actuator, standing at back of car looking toward bonnet, its on your left hand side, behind seat.
try this,with the front part of the roof in position, with the back section free, move it up and down by hand, you should hear the micro switch CLICKING.
cheers
The following users liked this post:
Nik320 (04-26-2016)
Old 04-26-2016, 03:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SL320
Originally Posted by mendok
yes Klaus is the expert.
just got my actuators back from Klaus couple of weeks ago now, Klaus did a fantastic job,
your problem sounds like the one I had , after putting my actuator's back in,

sounds like faulty micro switch on main actuator, standing at back of car looking toward bonnet, its on your left hand side, behind seat.
try this,with the front part of the roof in position, with the back section free, move it up and down by hand, you should hear the micro switch CLICKING.
cheers
Thanks - I will give it a try - and will post how it goes. Nik320