SL/R129: Buying advice SL R129 - Help please

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-26-2016, 04:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SL
Buying advice SL R129 - Help please

Hi, I'm new to the forum.

I'm currently looking for a R129 SL and hopefully you guys on here can advise. I'm in the UK (So it would be a Europe spec car I would be looking for). I'm trying to find out the differences made over the years? Also what specific things should I look for when viewing them? Any recalls etc that should have been done or known problem areas that should be checked.

I am ideally after a 500 but would maybe consider a 320 if I can't find the right car.

Thanks in Advance for any help :smile
Old 05-28-2016, 12:06 PM

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
94 SL 600, 98 993, 89 XJS Conv., 85 Daimlier Princess 16 Hybrid Lincoln 16 Chevy crewcab
When I have purchased vehicles on your side of the pond, I was most concerned about body rust.
My MB engine experience has always been positive but have not owned the M104 power plant.
In rebuilding a toy I expect everything wears out, and if restoring to mint I want OEM, but with that said, I often seek out better brakes, suspensions etc.
Will this be a driver or a garage queen?
The last years of the R 129 run has more electronic devices, which I would expect to be having problems. Wiring from 93-95 had significant issues. The suspension modernization is wonderful but not easy or cheap to rebuild.
interior is about the same for the full run. redo of plastic parts and fasteners are annoying. redo's for leather are easy kits, but completely redo the pads and leather while also doning door panels,carpets and added sound panels IMHO
Transmission got electronic and better in 96? Silver Arrow addition or AMG editions are nice. Hydraulics both top and suspension spheres have about a 15-20 year life span at best!
Good luck expensive hobby your joining.