SL/R129: 1995 SL500 MAF Removal

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-09-2016, 01:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1995 SL500
1995 SL500 MAF Removal

Hi all,

So, in the on-going quest to figure out what is going on with the performance in the car, I had a realisation moment (from a post I read whilst googling on other forums [sorry!]) it came to me that the first time this happened 4 years ago the Mass Air Flow Sensor had to be replaced. Found a lot of information advising that it could simply need a clean with some proper MAF cleaner. Well, I now have some, have got the cover off the air box, undone the clip where the cable goes on (ringed in green below) and....... now what...?

So, I got to this point easily enough...

1995 SL500 MAF Removal-maf_1.jpg

... and the MAF sensor will turn about 30 degrees or so to the right, but I can't see how to actually get the thing out - assume it is something blatantly obvious I have missed.

I spotted that there is a jubilee clip (think that's what they are called) down a bit (as below) but can't see how to get on to it to loosen it - I am assuming that is what is holding it in place (ringed in green).

1995 SL500 MAF Removal-maf_2.jpg

I've also seen mention of another cable to come off it, but unless I am totally useless I can't see that anywhere.

Can anyone give me a pointer as to what the magic is to getting this out?

Thanks in advance.

Regards

TMW
Old 06-09-2016, 01:44 PM

1995 SL500
Alternatively, can I just spray the cleaner down it in situ...???

Regards

TMW
Old 06-10-2016, 04:19 PM

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
94 SL 600, 98 993, 89 XJS Conv., 85 Daimlier Princess 16 Hybrid Lincoln 16 Chevy crewcab
Not knowing where you are at ( in world ) and in the lack of performance, I will forward my experience. Yes you can remove the MAFS, you can also clean the wire mesh and wipe clean the thin wire of the sensor.
while in my car the MAFS often detects dirt in the air induction system thus the CEL it has not been the cause of the LHM. Throttle body yes, Cam sensor yes but not the dust detector. Hope this helps.
Many Benz owner function in both "worlds" The other forums are also good information circles for the world wide.
Old 06-11-2016, 02:02 PM

1995 SL500
Hi all,

Still struggling unfortunately.

I've got the clamp off now (Yay!) but the damn thing still won't come out. I can turn (rotate) it between the 2x engine sections but at no position will it lift out, or even feel like with a bit of wiggling it will come out.

There's loads of people out there saying how they take it out and clean it - but how do you actually get it out!?!?

Thanks in advance.

Regards

TMW

Last edited by tmwsccsh; 06-12-2016 at 12:45 PM. Reason: Spacing all wrong!
Old 06-12-2016, 12:46 PM

1995 SL500
Hi all,

Right, got it out - just needed to be firmer with my removal...

1995 SL500 MAF Removal-maf.jpg

The MAF has now been sprayed with the CRC MAF Cleaner and left for 10 minutes to dry. All is now back in the car and assembled and I've got to go out in about 45 minutes so will take her out and see what's happened.

Oh, and to anyone reading this who has never done this before, as a tip on the re-install, I read somewhere that, rather than using the Jubilee clip to tighten it up and secure in place on the refit, use a long Cable Tie instead as you can then cut it out easily if it needs to come out again - that's what I've done this time - it's just as secure but will be about 30 minutes quicker to get out if you've got large hands like I have.

Will report later how it went after the clean.

Regards

TMW
Old 06-13-2016, 04:39 PM

1995 SL500
Originally Posted by tmwsccsh
Will report later how it went after the clean.
Hi all,

Well, the evening didn't quite go as planned. Anyone else here (in the south-east of England) get a ton of rain last night? Spent 2 hours rapidly sweeping water away from the house to stop it getting in - never seen a deluge like it. Found out this morning the front drain was blocked so cleaned that out and it's all flowing much better now. Garage flooded again so some guttering works to be done at the weekend.

But I digress...

Finally got to take her out around 9pm. Started fine and was smooth as expected. After she had been running for around 10-15 minutes, I got to a set of traffic lights and the spluttering was back, as was the sluggish performance. Got to the motorway and opened her up a bit, using the kickdown switch a few times. Was still sluggish and bouncy, however after about 5 minutes of flooring it away from everything, the car just sprung back to life. I was able to do about another 15 minutes of driving with no issues at all - any roundabout, junction or lights I got to the idle dropped to fine, no bouncing or stalling out and also the performance away from stationary or moving was as expected.

I need to run her again and see how it goes but the latter part of that trip out was the best she has been for ages.

Will advise how the next test run goes - hopefully better than this one.

TMW
Old 10-16-2021, 12:27 PM

r129 300sl
I'm having the same issues with the MAF removal on my SL500. How on earth did you loosen the "jubilee clip"? I've taken the airbox off to get access, but just can't get anything in the gap?

Have the problems resolved themselves?

Rgds/Phil
Old 10-25-2021, 08:09 PM

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts
1995 SL500 - 2017 AMG GLC 43
Old 10-26-2021, 12:17 AM

r129 300sl
Many thanks. It could be that my 3 x MAF problem isn't the MAF at all, but the gasket lower down.