SL-Class (R230) 2003 -- 2012: Discussion on the SL500, SL550, SL600

SL/R230: How old are the SL drivers here?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-08-2006, 08:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SL500 and A-CLASS
Originally Posted by blueSL
You can argue that the ability to borrow large sums of money to fund a home purchase, especially in a market with limited supply (quality, space), simply fuels local house price inflation. Lots of people with big loan facilities chasing a limited supply of houses.

The only time house price inflation works to your advantage is if you move down-market. For the rest of the time, your next house is moving away from you.

I had a loan for about 6 years in my 20's and paid it off. I've paid cash for everything ever since. There's a real feeling of being in control when you don't have the bank breathing down your neck.
Well, I am not rich, but my house and cars are paid off. If I can do it over again, I would get a loan and make my money in my business ventures. I did have a 100K loan on the SL500 for 60 months at 3.49% in 2004. I got tired of my wife complaining about the loan, so I paid it off the next month. The sad part of the story is that I made over 25% per year in my investments. I am no math genius, but $25,000 per year covers the $9,000 interest of the life of the car loan.

Last edited by tiggerfink; 01-08-2006 at 10:42 PM.
Old 01-08-2006, 08:28 PM

Bentley Arnage Red Label
Originally Posted by tiggerfink
Well, I am not rich, but my house and cars are paid off. If I can do it over again, I would get a loan and make my money in my business ventures. I did have a 100K loan on the SL500 for 60 months at 3.49% in 2004. I got tired of my wife complaining about the loan, so I paid it off the next month. The said part of the story is that I made over 25% per year in my investments. I am no math genius, but $25,000 per year covers the $9,000 interest of the life of the car loan.

Precisely why it doesn't make sense to tie up such large chunks of cash that can work for you in other ways. Some people just don't have the knowledge or the sense to do it. Others can't stand to owe anything and some make so much money they don't give a **** about a few hundred G's spent on cars. Others pay their car payments with money earned from their investments while still keeping all of the principle.
Old 01-08-2006, 08:30 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2005 SL500
Originally Posted by MD750
29...30 in March. Don't own yet, but looking...

I agree on the owning a house "out right" thing...it doesn't make good tax sense for me to own a house out right at my age. I wouldn't have ANYTHING to write off at that point! I do also agree that I do not like to pay interest on vehicles...or any interest I can't deduct at least a portion of for that matter. I own my vehicle and we are currently leasing my wife vehicle that we will turn in at the end and purchase her something with cash.

I am surprise by some of the ages, but it makes sense if you think about it...21-30ages may not have any kids and 45+ may have older kids. My friend that has an SL is 27 or 28, no kids, lives by himself, and makes decent money. I have a wife and 2 young kids so it really doesn't make practical sense, but I do drive everyday to work alone...so there's my time to drive right there! Just like seattlecarfreak mentioned...it's A LOT easier to afford things like this when you only have to spend your money on the things YOU want.
Put me down for another 27 year old that has no one else but himself to buy for..
Old 01-08-2006, 11:18 PM

Originally Posted by NeilC123
Going back onto the thread I have always thought the SL was the kind of car you buy towards the upper echelons of your life to illustrate how much you have achieved and a degree of "well done in life" status....If you have the car at the ages of 25-28 where on earth do you go from there? Supercars?
Yes, Supercars.
Old 01-09-2006, 12:45 AM

SL55AMG, ML420CDI, E320TCDI
Originally Posted by seattlecarfreak
the problem is, that when you make BIG money or show you have BIG money, you are a walking defendant in a lawsuit waiting to happen.. whether everyday living or from an employee citing 10 million in damages for discrimination, etc.. or some other crap.. when everything is paid for cash, and all of a suden you start liquidating and putting cash overseas, the paper trail will all be left and you'll look as guilty as a three dollar bill, and chances are the judge will make you go "get" your money and throw your in jail until you do if he or she wants to be a jerk about it.. now if you had your money overseas before you were sued, and have been nicely paying your payments monthly.. and barely have any equity in your house/car before being sued.. then that's a different story..

this isn't a problem as much for european residents, but there are over 15 million lawsuits currently pending in the US.. 1 out of every 4 people making over $100,000 have a chance of being sued for more than their worth in the next 10 years... thanks to lawyers and people that don't want to work for their money, having a huge abundance of cash assets sitting around for the taking isn't always the smartest idea all the time..

paying for everything cash, is a give and take, depending on your line of business and how "big" you live... and some high risk businesses that we own can potentially wipe us out in a few months due to a lawsuit from some greedy minimum wage worker and a ******* lawyer that doesn't want to work for their money... welcome to the good old us of a...

I agree with you there, although i am not American, we do closely follow what is happening "over there". It just dont make sense to me, to tie up money in dead assets as, cars, houses, boats, etc. Money must work, must be invested, create new jobs, for the bennefit of your country, and yourself. An annual payback of 15-25% is realistic, depending on how big riscs you are willing to take, and that will any day, pay your loans back on Car and House.
2006 is predicted to be a great stock year, Japan is in grows,( Nikkei is predicted to raise a 20% min.) Korea as well. ( up to 50%). Turkey, expected raise 25%, and so forth. This Year ( 2006) payback on investments are already in those few day´s more than 1,5%
Old 01-09-2006, 01:35 AM
CY
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL/M6
Just turned 25 and all I get every day is "how old are you" due to the car's prestige....I'm loving every minute of it.
Old 01-09-2006, 03:08 PM

2007 ML420cdi Sport
35, but I am most interested in what you guys earn per annum,

Im interested in what percentage of your earnings is spent on your car. and maybe your wifes car too

Stevie B

Last edited by slsteve; 01-09-2006 at 03:36 PM.
Old 01-09-2006, 07:24 PM
Almost a Member!

98 BMW 750iL
Originally Posted by Chris 45971
You're right there Blue. Some of the roads here in central Jersey are better than most might think, but every time I head out to Penn or Maryland, I realize I'm missing something here.

I will be moving to Maryland in the next couple years. The driving will certainly be more pleasant.
i advise you to buy now...the home prices here are getting out of control. what part of MD are you thinking about moving to?
Old 01-09-2006, 07:30 PM
Almost a Member!

98 BMW 750iL
Originally Posted by slsteve

Im interested in what percentage of your earnings is spent on your car. and maybe your wifes car too

Stevie B
all i can imagine is that everyone is doing VERY well...at least I hope. i thought i made a pretty good wage until i started reading here...i have to step up my game BIG TIME! it's all good though i always look for a good challenge
Old 01-09-2006, 07:41 PM

our money, spent on a wife's car? let the women buy their own car.. <g>

Stevie B
Old 01-09-2006, 09:10 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
My dad is 44. I'm 17.
Old 01-09-2006, 09:22 PM
ON PROBATION

I'm 94, and I turn 95 on the 30th of next month.

Last edited by ClayJ; 01-09-2006 at 09:25 PM.
Old 01-09-2006, 10:04 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2003 SL500
50 and holding....
Old 01-09-2006, 10:31 PM

and driving an sl55 on 20" carlssons? you're my idol when i get older..
Originally Posted by ClayJ
Old 01-09-2006, 11:16 PM
ON PROBATION

Originally Posted by seattlecarfreak
and driving an sl55 on 20" carlssons? you're my idol when i get older..
My chiropractor sure loves me. Hearsay has it that he changed one of his kids to an Ivy League school when I told him I was getting an FXX. LOL
Old 01-10-2006, 01:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
SL55 AMG

Stevie B

I'm interested that the first version of this post included Stevie's modest salary, he then edited after thinking better of it. Thing is, Stevie, however much you think you earn, there will always be people here (unless you're Bill Gates) who are doing better than you, so better not to be a prat...

As for the investment discussions, it does of course make sense to invest your cash if the rate of return is better than it costs you to borrow, taking tax and tax relief into account. That's fine, providing your assets go on appreciating. There must be a few people still licking their wounds after borrowing to buy Cisco stock in 2000.

Personally, I prefer to invest money closer to home in my own business where I can stay in control and I do a lot better than 25%...
Old 01-10-2006, 02:13 AM
ON PROBATION

This discussion reminds me of back when I was 19 or 20. I was involved somehow with this old guy - he was somewhere in his 60's - we were involved in a hobby or social activity of some sort and we'd meet once a week with a large group of guys. He had owned a carpet store I think and had sold it and retired when he was like 51 or 52. We were outside of the building after the meeting or function/activity, whatever and we were talking, about some of the other guys in the group. I remember that I was telling him how I admired so-and-so because he had a nice this-and-that, and this other guy because he was only 40 or whatever and had a happy family and a nice house...and blah, blah, blah.

He stopped me in my tracks and said that there was no yardstick to measure other men with. That there was no point in comparing myself to other men, or in trying to emulate them - that there just wasn't any truth in that, no valid way to do so, and that it was a losing proposition for me to do so. He told me that the only yardstick that I could apply to measure anyone up was with myself. "You measure yourself. You apply that measuring stick to yourself and see how you measure up to how you think that you should be. And if you don't like the result? If you measure yourself in something, in an area in yourself or your life and you think or find that you come up short - then you do something about it. You change yourself or something about yourself, or something that you're doing or not doing. That's how you become successful - by measuring yourself and your efforts -- not other men. You don't know anything about them -- but you'd better know something about yourself."

That was one of the things in my life that I've always remembered, that 10 minute talk with an old man outside of a hall or whatever; back when I was a very young man. And of course it has had its effect on me. I never have cared what other men make. How successful they appear to be. How happy their family-life seems to be. I payed attention to myself; and monitored myself; and bettered myself -- because that's what really counted...and it has.

What difference would it make to you if I told you that I make well over a million dollars a day, day after day, all year long, year after year; and that I don't have to work for it -- because I already have. Because I applied myself to myself; and I kept doing that, year after year. That is why I was successful; and that is why I can enjoy that success now.

It is your life -- you go live it, and make the best out of it...for you. Don't waste time or energy or focus measuring up others.
That's my opinion. My 2 billion cents on the subject.

Gotta go put my soapbox back in the closet....
Old 01-10-2006, 03:31 AM

2003 SL500, 2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited

In my calendar, the next month is February which has only 28 days....

George

++
Old 01-10-2006, 03:38 AM
ON PROBATION

Originally Posted by detailas
In my calendar, the next month is February which has only 28 days....

George

++
Caught that one, did you George?

HAHAHAHAHA!

You're the first one that posted it!!!

You should win something for that shouldn't you? LOL
Old 01-10-2006, 06:21 AM

2007 ML420cdi Sport
BlueSL, you are two quick for me, (no wonder u drive a sl55)

Decided that was a bad post after all, as the more you post on here the more you lose your anminity (cant spell)

Stevie b
Old 01-10-2006, 06:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL55 AMG
Your stated income was in the email that those of us who choose to get them received. Even if you edit the post, it's already gone out.
Old 01-10-2006, 06:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL55 AMG
anonymity, by the way.
Old 01-10-2006, 10:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Several MB's Superperformance MK III Cobra
Originally Posted by benzboy
I bet you want that '56 Gullwing back!!!
You mean this one. I have not read this in quite awhile but I do still have it.
Attached Thumbnails How old are the SL drivers here?-387009981aphelk_fs-2-.jpg   How old are the SL drivers here?-387010479qmyhhh_fs.jpg  
Old 01-10-2006, 01:15 PM

SL55AMG, ML420CDI, E320TCDI
This discussion reminds me of back when I was 19 or 20. I was involved somehow with this old guy - he was somewhere in his 60's - we were involved in a hobby or social activity of some sort and we'd meet once a week with a large group of guys. He had owned a carpet store I think and had sold it and retired when he was like 51 or 52. We were outside of the building after the meeting or function/activity, whatever and we were talking, about some of the other guys in the group. I remember that I was telling him how I admired so-and-so because he had a nice this-and-that, and this other guy because he was only 40 or whatever and had a happy family and a nice house...and blah, blah, blah.

He stopped me in my tracks and said that there was no yardstick to measure other men with. That there was no point in comparing myself to other men, or in trying to emulate them - that there just wasn't any truth in that, no valid way to do so, and that it was a losing proposition for me to do so. He told me that the only yardstick that I could apply to measure anyone up was with myself. "You measure yourself. You apply that measuring stick to yourself and see how you measure up to how you think that you should be. And if you don't like the result? If you measure yourself in something, in an area in yourself or your life and you think or find that you come up short - then you do something about it. You change yourself or something about yourself, or something that you're doing or not doing. That's how you become successful - by measuring yourself and your efforts -- not other men. You don't know anything about them -- but you'd better know something about yourself."

That was one of the things in my life that I've always remembered, that 10 minute talk with an old man outside of a hall or whatever; back when I was a very young man. And of course it has had its effect on me. I never have cared what other men make. How successful they appear to be. How happy their family-life seems to be. I payed attention to myself; and monitored myself; and bettered myself -- because that's what really counted...and it has.

What difference would it make to you if I told you that I make well over a million dollars a day, day after day, all year long, year after year; and that I don't have to work for it -- because I already have. Because I applied myself to myself; and I kept doing that, year after year. That is why I was successful; and that is why I can enjoy that success now.

It is your life -- you go live it, and make the best out of it...for you. Don't waste time or energy or focus measuring up others.
That's my opinion. My 2 billion cents on the subject.

Gotta go put my soapbox back in the closet....

You schould have become a philosopher. There are some deep thoughts there, well done.
Old 01-10-2006, 02:50 PM

04 SL 500, 09 R350, 09 E63, 2010 Prius
I got it for my 30th birthday... The car didn't arrive until Thanksgiving though...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: SL/R230: How old are the SL drivers here?