SL-Class (R230) 2003 -- 2012: Discussion on the SL500, SL550, SL600

SL/R230: Dealers are retards....need help with radio removal.....

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-22-2006, 05:17 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Dealers are retards....need help with radio removal.....

Does anyone know how to take out the head unit (Radio) from a 03-04 SL's? I was told it was keys to remove it and than another tech told me I have to take the wood trim off and than there will be 4 screws....which one is it? Anyone with detail on how to do it would be great.

Thanks in advance.
Old 11-22-2006, 05:33 PM

none
Four screws.... Older benzs used the keys.
http://www.startekinfo.com/StarTek/
Old 11-22-2006, 07:53 PM

Has anyone encountered this??

I was driving the SL today to work and noticed that the navigation unit wasnt working and I knew the cd was in the command unit so I tried ejecting it with no luck. I flipped up the flap and I see the cd spinning but it wont eject. Has anyone encountered this?

I was trying to take the whole unit out and try to see if I could manually eject the cd and reinstall the unit and see what happens after basically resetting it but cant figure out how the hell to take the center wood trim off to access the 4 screws.

This car is begining to **** me off and the service rep's are all @ssholes!!
Old 11-23-2006, 03:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 85 Likes on 42 Posts
2023 760i and 2023 EQS580V4
This is how it is done.

Yes, you must take off the wood. The wood is removed by removing the side panels of the center console. The side panels are held on by clips and it is very important that you start taking off this panel from the lower right hand corner when facing it on the drivers side and that same corner, lower left on the passengers side. You will also need to pull the panel off by pulling in two different directions as a result of the location of the clips. Don't pull back too quickly or too much or you will bend the panel and cause an indentation where the clips are. Once you remove the side panels you then need to remove the screws along the side. There are two sets of screws there, make sure you remove the correct ones. You also need to go into the center console glove box and remove the two screws that come from the center console.

After the screws are removed you will need to take off the wood however the wood will not come off enough without disconnecting the wire harness that goes to the controls. You will also need to lift off the gear shift knob which is attached. Once you remove the wood, gently raise the wood and you can then detach the gear shift knob from underneath.

Once this is done you will be able to remove the wood completely. After the wood comes off there are 4 screws that hold the display unit in place and once those screws are removed you can then remove the display unit. The display unit does have one wire harness that is attached to the back of it which has the typical Mercedes Benz locking mechanism.

Again, not a huge deal if you know what you are doing. The first time is not fun.

Also, once you get the unit out you can get to the CD but that is actually the hardest part. You can not easily get to it and you must take apart the unit to do that. Believe I know, I went fishing for one myself.

Remember, I am not a technician and this is only what I remember from when I did it. If you follow these directions and something goes wrong...don't come lookin this way. It is all at your own risk.

Good luck.
Old 11-23-2006, 03:42 AM

Originally Posted by LovinSL600
This is how it is done.

Yes, you must take off the wood. The wood is removed by removing the side panels of the center console. The side panels are held on by clips and it is very important that you start taking off this panel from the lower right hand corner when facing it on the drivers side and that same corner, lower left on the passengers side. You will also need to pull the panel off by pulling in two different directions as a result of the location of the clips. Don't pull back too quickly or too much or you will bend the panel and cause an indentation where the clips are. Once you remove the side panels you then need to remove the screws along the side. There are two sets of screws there, make sure you remove the correct ones. You also need to go into the center console glove box and remove the two screws that come from the center console.

After the screws are removed you will need to take off the wood however the wood will not come off enough without disconnecting the wire harness that goes to the controls. You will also need to lift off the gear shift knob which is attached. Once you remove the wood, gently raise the wood and you can then detach the gear shift knob from underneath.

Once this is done you will be able to remove the wood completely. After the wood comes off there are 4 screws that hold the display unit in place and once those screws are removed you can then remove the display unit. The display unit does have one wire harness that is attached to the back of it which has the typical Mercedes Benz locking mechanism.

Again, not a huge deal if you know what you are doing. The first time is not fun.

Also, once you get the unit out you can get to the CD but that is actually the hardest part. You can not easily get to it and you must take apart the unit to do that. Believe I know, I went fishing for one myself.

Remember, I am not a technician and this is only what I remember from when I did it. If you follow these directions and something goes wrong...don't come lookin this way. It is all at your own risk.

Good luck.

Holy Crap are you serious?? I have to do all that just to get to the damn radio? Guess most of my day tomorrow is going to be a living hell for me. To be honest with you Im really not looking forward to doing this but will see how my mood is tomorrow after sleeping the fustration away.

Thanks for the info and will be printing this out for reference while doing this. And I understand that you are simply suggesting the way it is supposed to be done from experience but whatever goes wrong is on the person doing the work. I will hold nothing on you personally!!! Your welcome to come help me out if you like!! Anyways wish me luck on a longs day of work.

Thanks again for the info and Ill keep you posted.
Old 11-23-2006, 01:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 85 Likes on 42 Posts
2023 760i and 2023 EQS580V4
Originally Posted by johnny5
Holy Crap are you serious?? I have to do all that just to get to the damn radio? Guess most of my day tomorrow is going to be a living hell for me. To be honest with you Im really not looking forward to doing this but will see how my mood is tomorrow after sleeping the fustration away.

Thanks for the info and will be printing this out for reference while doing this. And I understand that you are simply suggesting the way it is supposed to be done from experience but whatever goes wrong is on the person doing the work. I will hold nothing on you personally!!! Your welcome to come help me out if you like!! Anyways wish me luck on a longs day of work.

Thanks again for the info and Ill keep you posted.
Have fun, I am thankfully out of town for the holidays.
Old 11-23-2006, 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by LovinSL600
Have fun, I am thankfully out of town for the holidays.

Okay not as bad as I thought. Everything was done as stated and it wasnt really all that bad except taking off the wood trim that was a @ss. I couldnt get my hands in there to take the wires off and the angle of everything was a pain and was probably where it took the longest. I took off a few more screws than I was supposed to but at least I know now. Other than that the information you have given was on the dot! Thanks for the help and info.

Now its time to take the Radio/Command apart and see what the hell is wrong with it.

By the way the car insides is a mess...It looks like the car got broken into and all hells broke loose in there. Hopefully Ill have everything back on to how it should be!!!
Old 03-27-2015, 01:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SL500
Originally Posted by LovinMercedes
This is how it is done.

Good luck.
SL500 2003 Model. Removal of Wood Trim/Formica impossible.
I have removed the two side panels held by clips and then i removed the screws.

The i then used a sledge to bar it up but its too strong, i applied force stil it wont pull out.

Pls i need short video clip on how to remove the formica wood trim.
I cant remove the Gear Shifter Unit unless the wood trim comes off.
My Gear Lever got stuck in Park, i have removed it from park. I was told the Selonoid inside the shifter unti damaged, i purchased the comp;lete unit but my poroblem is how to remove the entire unit from the car.
Email me video clip pls.
jayshedrach@yahoo.com
Old 03-27-2015, 04:14 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
2005 SL65
Maybe this will help

http://www.mercupgrades.com/Removing...rticle-68.html