SL-Class (R230) 2003 -- 2012: Discussion on the SL500, SL550, SL600

SL/R230: SL500 Stuck in park

Old 07-29-2008, 05:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SL500
SL500 Stuck in park

Firstly, I apologize for bringing this topic up again - I have reviewed all other threads which deal with this issue.

The (disgracefully cheap) plastic catch which connects the solenoid to the release catch in the gear lever assembly is broken, which means that I cannot get the car out of park. I need to remove the assembly, but this entails removing the center console cover. I have the Mercedes WIS workshop manual so I am following correct procedure.

Which brings me to the actual problem. In order to remove the console cover It is absolutely necessary to move the gear lever to N or D. In the P position it is not possible to lift the console cover over the gear stick. But, I cannot get it out of P and there is no manual release such as found on some MB cars.

Is there anyone who knows how MB would overcome this problem? or do they resort to breaking the console or else sawing off the gear lever?
Old 07-29-2008, 05:51 PM
Almost a Member!

SL 500
Originally Posted by petecolman
Firstly, I apologize for bringing this topic up again - I have reviewed all other threads which deal with this issue.

The (disgracefully cheap) plastic catch which connects the solenoid to the release catch in the gear lever assembly is broken, which means that I cannot get the car out of park. I need to remove the assembly, but this entails removing the center console cover. I have the Mercedes WIS workshop manual so I am following correct procedure.

Which brings me to the actual problem. In order to remove the console cover It is absolutely necessary to move the gear lever to N or D. In the P position it is not possible to lift the console cover over the gear stick. But, I cannot get it out of P and there is no manual release such as found on some MB cars.

Is there anyone who knows how MB would overcome this problem? or do they resort to breaking the console or else sawing off the gear lever?
I have asked my friends in the Porsche forums --( see below ) to help -- I'll see what turns up

This forum has helped me on many occasions and I have found the members to know what they are talking about --- I have a request a question has come up on the Mercedes Forum that I'm sure you can help with -- In the spirit of all German technology together can we help

The basic question is how to move the gear lever out of PARK when its stuck their due to a faulty solenoid ?? -- This must be a generic problem that many auto trans owners have solved

Any ideas ??

Old 07-29-2008, 06:01 PM
Almost a Member!

SL 500
FIRST RESPONSE

IIRC on my Saab, there is a manual release button near the shifter. I think I had to use a pointy object to push it in and release the shifter. Perhaps your MB has something similar.
Old 07-29-2008, 06:09 PM

SL500
Originally Posted by rodin66
IIRC on my Saab, there is a manual release button near the shifter. I think I had to use a pointy object to push it in and release the shifter. Perhaps your MB has something similar.
The SL500 has absolutely no manual release.
Old 07-29-2008, 06:21 PM
Almost a Member!

SL 500
The SL500 has absolutely no manual release.
I assume (a) since you have the workshop instructions it does not cover it (b) you've not sauntered up to the workshop counter at your local MB and asked
Old 07-29-2008, 06:40 PM

SL500
Originally Posted by rodin66
I assume (a) since you have the workshop instructions it does not cover it (b) you've not sauntered up to the workshop counter at your local MB and asked
Both of your assumptions are correct. Unfortunately, my local dealer the absolutely enormous "MB World Brooklands" and you can't actually saunter anywhere! (except around the showrooms) I hope to find another dealer later this week.
Old 07-29-2008, 06:52 PM
Almost a Member!

SL 500
Have you tried other MB forums I'm sure the problem is not SL500 unique
Old 07-29-2008, 07:59 PM
Banned

Received 387 Likes on 306 Posts
'09 S600, (2) R129 300SLs, '03 SL500, '03 SL55
If you post your problem over at www.mercedesshop.com it will be read by many professional technicians, and one of them is likely to respond with a solution. Be sure to post in the "Tech Help" forum, NOT the "SL" forum.
Old 07-30-2008, 07:07 AM
XJ9

C350
This is actually quite a common problem. Most commonly what happens is the tech forgets to plug the solenoid back in and puts the shifter in park which results in the same situation. The solution is to use a set of long tweezers to work the plug back in through either the ashtray hole or the square where the leather cover sits. In your situation where the solenoid is broken the techs have sometimes managed work a 90 degree angle pick tool into the hole where the plastic spline is and manually engage the release.

The other option as you have already guessed is to break the console which I have seen done (only because I had to write up the warranty paperwork on it).
Old 07-30-2008, 07:38 AM

SL500
Thank you all for your responses. I resolved the problem by cutting through the gear lever - I figured that the gear shift was cheaper than the console and, if I can't repair it, is broken anyway.
My idea is to get a local engineering firm to weld the stick back together again once I've removed the lock. I'll post how that went once it's done.
Old 07-31-2008, 07:32 AM

SL500
All done. The broken locking mechanism has been removed, the gear stick welded together and the unit re-installed in the car. All working perfectly.
Old 07-31-2008, 09:09 AM
Almost a Member!

SL 500
All done. The broken locking mechanism has been removed, the gear stick welded together and the unit re-installed in the car. All working perfectly.
Glad to hear it -- sounded pretty brutal but I guess you knew what you were doing
Old 09-21-2008, 11:49 PM

SL500
Info helped me a lot. won't shift out of park

I had to do the same thing and this thread helped me save over $1000 and a tow to the dealer. I got another broken shifter on ebay for cheap and cut mine up to get it out. I just replaced the metal shifter part instead of welding and fixed the cheap broken plastic catch. Very difficult, but it works.
Old 10-17-2008, 02:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
BMW F02 (750Li) F10 (550i)

That just happened to me, i had to replace my shifter!!!! MB did update the new shifters i was told at the dealer. I still have my old one which works fine but needs no brake release to come out of park.
Old 10-17-2008, 07:05 PM
Almost a Member!

99 CLK430
I know you already have this done, but for future reference for others... Use a hammer. Take the shift knob off of the metal rod, then pull back on it just as if you were normally taking it out of park, just pull back harder-and press on the brake pedal. While pulling, smack the rod right on top with a hammer, usually multiple times. Dont worry about breaking something, its already broken. A good smack and pulling on the lever will pop it out of park 99% of the time.
Old 10-27-2008, 05:43 PM
Almost a Member!

03 SL500
I just took my SL to the dealer this morning because I am starting to have a hard time shifting from Park these couple days. I am so glad my 03 still has warranty until 2010. The service rep which is a friend said it is a common problem for the SL. We will see whats up
Old 10-29-2008, 07:29 PM
Almost a Member!

03 SL500
I got the car back in the next day. They changed the shifter and module for free. Now it is very smooth.
Old 10-29-2008, 09:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by BACK2DTM
I got the car back in the next day. They changed the shifter and module for free. Now it is very smooth.
Nice to have a warranty !!!!!!!

NICE WHEELS. LOOKS GOOD WITH THE SILVER PAINT!!!
Old 10-30-2008, 01:16 PM
Almost a Member!

03 SL500
Thank you sir! Yours look sexy!
Old 11-04-2008, 03:13 PM

The same problem happened to me halfway home on a 800 mile trip after I just bought my car. Got stuck at a gas station and had to get the car towed and repaired and then shipped home - $2k down the drain.

I did buy a deal though - 03 black fully optioned car with 14K miles for $36K.

Someone mentioned that the cheap plastic part that regularly breaks was improved with the new parts. Any information about that?

Thanks
Johan
Old 11-04-2008, 11:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by jlb911c
The same problem happened to me halfway home on a 800 mile trip after I just bought my car. Got stuck at a gas station and had to get the car towed and repaired and then shipped home - $2k down the drain.

I did buy a deal though - 03 black fully optioned car with 14K miles for $36K.

Someone mentioned that the cheap plastic part that regularly breaks was improved with the new parts. Any information about that?

Thanks
Johan
yes they did. your new shifter should be upgraded , my was they said. lol
Old 02-03-2009, 05:32 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2005 S500
Repair Solution

I have the plastic part in stock and I can ship worldwide. Log on to www.monoglobal.com.au to view and order the part.

Internal plastic lever is there to prevent children from inadvertedly moving the gearstick lever out of Park. Removing the lever may cause your car to roll away down a hill with your kids inside.

Choose from original plastic or high strength aluminum. Repairs can be done by any reputable MBZ shop in about an hour or two. No need for recoding with Star Diagnosis.

Old 04-06-2009, 06:47 PM

I just got stuck in Hollywood last night for this lovely issue. Towed it to dealer, they wanted 1100 and 3 days to fix it. Got my key from the service technician, popped it out of P with the hammer trick, and drove it home. Removed the shifter assembly, removed the plastic piece (of sh*t) that broke inside the assembly, reassembled, and voila, no problem anymore. I am aware that this effectively removes the brake interlock mechanism, and the vehicle can be moved out of park without depressing the brake. Not something I miss at all. I still have to depress the brake for the Keyless Go, and the vehicle wont start unless it is in P still.

I have worked for several years with mercedes', and am quite familiar with the R230 already. It is not impossible for someone to do themselves, however proper knowledge is required and a few specific tools, including T10 and T20 drivers, 5mm Alan key, assorted pliers and picks... The SL isn't a car you should start tearing into unless you are confident as to what you are doing.

If someone needs help with this issue, feel free to ask. I am always happy to share with fellow owners
Old 05-19-2009, 12:06 AM

2005 SL55 AMG, 1986 Porsche 930S, 1996 Porsche 993tt
Anyone can tell me the correct procedure or step on how to remove the center console and then remove the plastic part from the gear level?

thanks.
Old 06-01-2009, 02:11 PM

a few AMGs
My sl55 is stuck in park! Can someone send me the proper procedure to fix this...

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: SL/R230: SL500 Stuck in park