SL-Class (R230) 2003 -- 2012: Discussion on the SL500, SL550, SL600

SL/R230: Be careful what you wish for........ ;-)

Old 10-12-2010, 02:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 SL500
Unhappy Be careful what you wish for........ ;-)

A couple months ago I was pondering about how lucky I have been with my 2005 SL500 (with AMG Sport Package and 92,000 miles) being a reliable and worry free vehicle for the past 4 years. Of course I must have "jinxed" myself because sure enough I have had some problems pop up since then. Thanks to this board I have fixed two of them (vario-roof "flaps" and "close assist" trunk lid) but I have not been able to figure out the ABC issue.

My question is: Does anyone have photos or specific advice on whats wrong/how to fix my ABC issue?

The symptoms are as follows: One day the "ABC-visit workshop" light came on and went away. I noticed oil leaking from the car (front center based on driveway drip pattern). Next day I was driving and the "ABC-drive carefully" light came on and more oil was observed to have leaked out. That light went away after a few re-starts and later in the day the "ABC-stop driving/take to workshop immediately" in "RED" light came on. Car is sitting very low in parked position on level surface, very thin/clearish colored oil leaked out completely. Is there a hose or specific part that may be the culprit and how do I determine that this issue is not from a shock/strut versus part of the ABC pump (which is covered in recent oil leakage/spray? Didnt notice any obvious cracks but not exactly sure where to focus my examination. Any photos would be appreciated.

BTW- I have read numerous other posts on the topic but was just wondering if anyone has done this "fix" on their own and can give specific comment. Thanks as always guys. Rick
Old 10-12-2010, 02:22 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2005 SL500
Sorry to hear about that. It sounds like your ABC pump has failed. If the oil leaks appear near the front-center of the car underneath where the front of the engine is, then the fluid has leaked from the seals around the pump pulley. It will need to be replaced as your suspension won't work at all without pressure in the system.

I believe it is an OEM only part so it'll have to be purchased from a MB dealership. While you're there, you may as well get them to replace it for you. If I recall correctly, it is covered by the aftermarket warranty most times and shouldn't cost you more than your warranty's deductible. If you don't have a warranty, then it can get pricey as the pump itself is about $1200-$1300 plus a few hours of labor and hydraulic fluid.

-ROOK
Old 10-14-2010, 09:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2005 SL500
Any luck rval?

-ROOK
Old 10-23-2010, 04:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 SL500
UPDATE plus some other useful tips.....

Rook300, et al., - I took apart the ABC resevoir believing that the leak was coming from there as a majority of the leaking fluiding was observed dripping from that area. The resevoir seemed to be A-OK, couldnt find any cracks and once removed did a pressure test with no leaks. The "OEL" dipstick is cracked and does have minor seepage but I do not believe it is the culprit of my problem. After removing, cleaning, testing, inspecting and reasembling.....I refilled the MB hydrolic fluid (20 bucks a quart @ 5.3 quarts!) and problem solved! Everything worked perfectly in the ABC system. (ie - error messages gone, sport/comfort mode working, raising/lower wroked perfect.)

Or so I thought. Over the next few days I noticed the leak is still present coming from under the vehicle (front drivers side area) and is leaking at a rate of one drop per minute or so (which is substantially slower than the original leak. It is my belief that either a hose is cracked on the underside of the unit or the pump itself is leaking, but still working fine pressure wise. I have not put the vehicle on lift yet nor removed the under-body panels for closer inspection. I plan on doing that this weeked. I have seen rebuilt pumps on ebay for abt $600 so I will prob DIY the pump replacement if that turns out to be the cause.

Important to note that once I completed the above referenced work and topped up the fluid the car was back to normal. That lasted about a day and half until the fluid level leaked out enough to cause a low level warning(ie- "ABC-visit workshop), and then a subsequent "drive carefully" (in RED) warning. No "car too low-dont drive" warning yet. Any other recomendations would be much appreciated and any PDF on how to make this repair through MB Shop Manuals for the pump replacement would be much appreciated......scoured the web to no avail.

On an unrelated subject people having problems with the convertible top "flaps" not folding in properly should expect an easy DIY repair by replacing a known failed park with its replacement. Total repair can be done in 5 mins once you figure out how to do it. Anyone who needs help with that repair let me know it is quite simple but some words of wisdom are always helpful before undertaking any project like this. Thanks all. Again, if anyone can direct me to a ABC repair manual from MB it would be considered an early christmas gift. Thanks again.......Rick