SL-Class (R230) 2003 -- 2012: Discussion on the SL500, SL550, SL600

SL/R230: Vario-Control Roof Module

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-15-2009, 01:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 SL550
Originally Posted by UK-C200
Kinda weird question - on the R230, when the top finishes closing - does your audio mute for a second?
My understanding is that, when the top is put down, the rear speakers are turned off. When I put the top back up, I hear it readjust, so that all four () speakers are operating again. I guess the hiccup could be called a "mute"...

So does the vario module override that, so you don't get that little hiccup as the speakers change? Or does it make sure all four speakers remain turned on, top up or down? That would be the shizzle.
Old 03-15-2009, 08:19 PM

non
i personally would not tear apart the complex computer system just to have music playing while i come upto the car
Have they come out with a good remote start module for the R230 yet?
If you have the remote start module on your R230 could you have music start playin while the car is on? If you can, then you can just remote lower your roof and you could be walking up to your R230 while the roof is lowering, music playing, and engine on and ready to go.
Old 03-16-2009, 12:04 AM

2007 SL550
Originally Posted by Bam Bam
If you have the remote start module on your R230 could you have music start playin while the car is on? If you can, then you can just remote lower your roof and you could be walking up to your R230 while the roof is lowering, music playing, and engine on and ready to go.
LOL -- I have this picture in my head of it also brewing a pot of coffee and pouring it into a mug, ready for you when you slip into the driver's seat. Goodbye, Kitt, hello, super-valet!
Old 03-16-2009, 11:25 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2005 SL500
Originally Posted by mlandis
My understanding is that, when the top is put down, the rear speakers are turned off. When I put the top back up, I hear it readjust, so that all four () speakers are operating again. I guess the hiccup could be called a "mute"...
Having had the music going when operating the top (both up and down), I've noticed that the sound profile changes once the top is just about down and once the top is almost closed. It changes from being more "surround sound" (top closed) to a "wall of sound" (top open) from the dash in front and on the sides of the driver. I have also noticed that the bass response tends to lessen a bit with the top open. It could just be my perception though. mlandis, your description seems quite accurate from my experience.

I have a completely stock 2005 SL500 and there is no break in the audio when operating the top.

Rook

Last edited by Rook3300; 03-16-2009 at 12:36 PM.
Old 03-16-2009, 11:28 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2005 SL500
Originally Posted by mlandis
LOL -- I have this picture in my head of it also brewing a pot of coffee and pouring it into a mug, ready for you when you slip into the driver's seat. Goodbye, Kitt, hello, super-valet!
Wasn't this the "Mr. Coffee" option package on the SL build list?

Barring that, you can always just pay a hooker to meet you by your car in the morning with a cup 'o joe.

Rook
Old 03-16-2009, 03:55 PM

2007 SL550
Originally Posted by Rook3300
Barring that, you can always just pay a hooker to meet you by your car in the morning with a cup 'o joe.
FTW!!!
Old 05-14-2009, 09:27 PM

His wifes head hard into the headboard nightly!!
just ordered mine!!!
Old 06-09-2009, 02:14 AM

Originally Posted by VendettaMB
just ordered mine!!!
just got it installed..works great.lots of options toplay with still

can it be set to raise the roll bar? i saw d2 vid i thinwhere the roll bar raised up by remote......
Old 06-09-2009, 11:04 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
SLK55AMG, SL600
Originally Posted by VendettaMB
just got it installed..works great.lots of options toplay with still

can it be set to raise the roll bar? i saw d2 vid i thinwhere the roll bar raised up by remote......

How was the install as in time and ease of installation. Also congrads as well.
Old 06-09-2009, 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by OUTCAST
How was the install as in time and ease of installation. Also congrads as well.
i had it done at a stereo shopthat did mt radars..they sai all the wire codes were right but 1 didnt mtch as it needed it constant power and so shop found another source..DUNNO!? they charged me 1 hr rate(60$) so all good!
Old 09-01-2014, 08:19 PM

SL500
2003 SL 500

Does that thing work with the 2003 SL500 model?

Originally Posted by EX-BEEMER
Had the Smart Top Module professionally installed yesterday and although it's only 40 degrees outside I've been popping the top all over the place. Installation was very easy (I handed the keys to a professional... I had a laundry list of things for him to do, Install the mod, hardwire a V1, and fix a curb rash on one wheel)

It's very simple to use and I can see that I'll use it every day come summertime. Programing the car for max speed operation was easy. The manual says it can be used up to 35mph, but I set it at a max of 15mph. Just enough to be able to pull away at a traffic light with the top still moving. To program max speed, just drive the speed you want and press the hang up phone button on the steering wheel till it beeps and you're done.

Next test was max opening distance with the remote... it's about 50 yards. Just 3 presses on the unlock button on your MB key and the whole process begins. By the time I got to the car, the top was down and the windows were lowering into the door... it was DONE!

Next... I start the car and give the center console a single tap to close. I then turn off the car and get out as the closing process continues. (there is a slight hesitation when the ignition goes off, but then all continues) I close the door and press the lock button on the door handle as the top is coming down. The windows then close and the doors lock as I am walking away. TOO COOL! I love this thing!

Those are my favorite features so far, but I'll keep toying with it all weekend to try out all the others. It's still early for a complete judgement, but so far, It's all its's advertsed to be.