SL-Class (R230) 2003 -- 2012: Discussion on the SL500, SL550, SL600

SL/R230: Vario-Control Roof Module

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-25-2009, 09:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'08 SL550 Sport, '11 BMW 550ix M sport
Vario-Control Roof Module

I'm thinking about purchasing a Vario-Control Roof module, and I was wondering if anyone has had any recent experience with these devices.

I've always bristled at the way the OEM roof operates. Having to hold the remote key button pointing at the door handle from only 5 feet away to lower the roof, and for some reason the windows automatically go UP instead of down, ... or waitng to turn off the car until the roof is all the way closed before you can exit the car... plus other annoyances. I'd love the features that this module would bring.

1. RF remote top operation up or down from true max key range... engine on or off...

2. One tap up or down operation from the center console...engine on or off...

3. In motion top operation... (I don't think I'll use it though, it's too stressful on the mechanicals...)

4. One touch window controls from the remote...

Plus other minor functions that would make top operation more convienient. My hope, if it works as advertised, would be to arrive at my destination turn off the car and hit the top close button as I'm walking away. (I know, you don't want to have the top raise if you're not at the car, but I can walk away slowly until I'm sure it's closed) Or better yet, walking toward the car on a hot day and having the roof open and ready by the time you reach for the handle.

Has anyone installed one of these recently? and does the device work as advertised?

PIECHA.com has more details... model is CVM-MB1

Any opinions?? Let's hear 'em
Old 02-25-2009, 10:54 PM

non
I found a youtube clip of the vario roof. It lowers the roof then lowers the windows for you. I think the engine is off.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6imZupdlrB0
Old 02-26-2009, 01:39 AM

07 S550 & 05 SL55
i was very interested with this as well

i think the way the top goes down wasnt engineered for a real world application....dont get me wrong but the vario control roof control just makes more sense

i hope some one chimes in here but i was gonna pick up both the throttle mod/ power converter and the roof mod but reading the directions that i could find werent that clear and i really dont want to spend the money if it doesnt perform the way it says it does
Old 02-26-2009, 08:57 AM

Nice video BamBam. Notice how the windows go down at the end of the top down sequence, I've always thought that's the way it should be.

Before I posted this thread I did a search and the last mention of it was in early 2007, and it was just a blip.

Guys have been using them on the SLK boards but I was hoping to get some real world SL experience before making the plunge. At $320 it's not a huge investment but I want it to work as advertised and not cause other problems.

Yami, I downloaded the PDF instructions and after studying them carefully, I don't think the installation looks too hard. I even partially removed my door sill and examined accessing the switch block. As long as the color coded wires run true throughout all R230 model years, It should be rather simple.

I'll hold off on the throttle sensor module as I am happy with my simple Sprint Booster chip.
Old 02-27-2009, 07:33 PM
gqa

05' sl 500
hey guys the vario roof is the shiznit. lol. I've had it almost 2 years(i think) installed it myself with no problems.

not only is it convenient is so cool. all drop tops should have these feature standard. i actually drop the top while driving and id swear i was driving a Ferrari the way people stare. its also cool dropting the top when your walking to or away from your sl. i call it the hotness and my wife thinks i'm crazy.

you get a good blast (fun) for the price. you can do all the settings from the steering wheel and make it invisible when you go to the dealer.
Old 02-27-2009, 08:15 PM

SL500
What's the cost for this?
Old 02-27-2009, 08:17 PM

Originally Posted by gqa
hey guys the vario roof is the shiznit. lol. I've had it almost 2 years(i think) installed it myself with no problems.

not only is it convenient is so cool. all drop tops should have these feature standard. i actually drop the top while driving and id swear i was driving a Ferrari the way people stare. its also cool dropting the top when your walking to or away from your sl. i call it the hotness and my wife thinks i'm crazy.

you get a good blast (fun) for the price. you can do all the settings from the steering wheel and make it invisible when you go to the dealer.
Is it the Piecha module? I've seen several brands and they're all probably the same thing with different branding.

Did the color coding on the wires run true to the provided instructions?

Thanks for your input, as soon as I pull my baby out of mothballs, I'm ready to pull the trigger...
Old 02-27-2009, 08:19 PM

Originally Posted by mikeinsf
What's the cost for this?
About $320
Old 02-27-2009, 08:23 PM
gqa

05' sl 500
Originally Posted by EX-BEEMER
Is it the Piecha module? I've seen several brands and they're all probably the same thing with different branding.

Did the color coding on the wires run true to the provided instructions?

Thanks for your input, as soon as I pull my baby out of mothballs, I'm ready to pull the trigger...
the one i bought is by mods for cars but your probably right about them being the same. here's the link http://www.wilhelmy-it.com/

yes the instructions were true. the only problem i had was that i didnt squeeze the tap wire down enough so it didnt work at 1st. so just make sure you have a good connection

the price is still $299
Old 03-02-2009, 11:10 AM

07 S550 & 05 SL55
thats good to hear

ive been doing car audio and electronics as a hobby since i was about 15 so im not really worried about the wiring

i just didnt want to spend 300 bucks on a little black box that didnt work

gga do you have any high def pics of your ride? like 1920x1080

ilove your ride and if my sl was white theyd be almost identical

what rims are you running?
Old 03-04-2009, 09:45 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2006 SL500
I bought this module a year ago right after I got my SL. I actually tend to forget that the way the roof operates with it now isn't factory because it just seems like the natural way the roof SHOULD operate. The jaws of other vert owners I know drop when I put the top down from 20 feet away while we're still walking up to the car lol. Seriously though, all of the nuisance "safety features" this thing overcomes is worth the price every time.

I got mine at mods4cars as well. It took my local radio shop about 5 minutes (literally) to install it and it has worked great from day one.
Old 03-05-2009, 08:46 PM

Originally Posted by sl500_dallas
I bought this module a year ago right after I got my SL. I actually tend to forget that the way the roof operates with it now isn't factory because it just seems like the natural way the roof SHOULD operate. The jaws of other vert owners I know drop when I put the top down from 20 feet away while we're still walking up to the car lol. Seriously though, all of the nuisance "safety features" this thing overcomes is worth the price every time.

I got mine at mods4cars as well. It took my local radio shop about 5 minutes (literally) to install it and it has worked great from day one.
I ordered mine today. Hope to have it installed by next Friday.
Old 03-05-2009, 09:05 PM

07 S550 & 05 SL55
sweet to hear and let us know how you like it
im putting off on ordering it til spring when i actually have the top down more......we just got snow today so i really dont picture having the top down until we are back in the 40s
Old 03-08-2009, 09:03 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
SLK55AMG, SL600
Yes very interested myself keep us posted!
Old 03-09-2009, 02:06 AM

2007 SL550
Originally Posted by YamiFanatic
im putting off on ordering it til spring when i actually have the top down more......we just got snow today so i really dont picture having the top down until we are back in the 40s
Of course, if someone figured out a mod that puts an AIRSCARF on the 2003-08 SLs...
Old 03-09-2009, 05:39 AM

07 S550 & 05 SL55
yea no joke the airscarfs are sweet
my friend has a new sl550 and its nice to have the warm air on your neck when the top is down.....especially when its 40 degrees outside

i personally dont like the 09 body change that much so if you could add the air scarfs to the 03-08s then itd be the best of both worlds

im still trying to figure out a way around these command systems
every other car you can swap out the stock system and drop in an aftermarket dvd system

personally i am an electronics junkie and i havent had a stock headunit in any car ive owned but not enough people care to tear apart this garbage stock audio system
Old 03-09-2009, 04:32 PM

SL500
Originally Posted by YamiFanatic
personally i am an electronics junkie and i havent had a stock headunit in any car ive owned but not enough people care to tear apart this garbage stock audio system
I think as the cars start to age and warranties run out, you'll see more of the stock COMAND units replaced out with custom solutions.

Also, re: airscarfs... is the heater unit in the seat or in the car? could it be as simple as swapping out the seats? I use the word "simple" quite liberally here.
Old 03-09-2009, 05:45 PM

2007 SL550
Originally Posted by mikeinsf
is the heater unit in the seat or in the car? could it be as simple as swapping out the seats? I use the word "simple" quite liberally here.
Doing a really cursory look (i.e., glancing at the model on the showroom floor and making some guesses) I'd imagine it is in the seat. The fans on the back of the headrest are pretty hefty. Given that there are already electric heaters in the seats, it wouldn't be that hard to create a separate loop in the existing heater and send it up in front of the fans.

Wow, that's got me thinking.... Need to figure out how much power's required to run the fans and the additional heater, and where to put the switches....
Old 03-11-2009, 05:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
V12-Biturbo
Originally Posted by gqa
the one i bought is by mods for cars but your probably right about them being the same. here's the link http://www.wilhelmy-it.com/

yes the instructions were true. the only problem i had was that i didnt squeeze the tap wire down enough so it didnt work at 1st. so just make sure you have a good connection

the price is still $299
This is excellent!!!! Buying mine soon...thanks for link
Old 03-13-2009, 10:37 PM

Had the Smart Top Module professionally installed yesterday and although it's only 40 degrees outside I've been popping the top all over the place. Installation was very easy (I handed the keys to a professional... I had a laundry list of things for him to do, Install the mod, hardwire a V1, and fix a curb rash on one wheel)

It's very simple to use and I can see that I'll use it every day come summertime. Programing the car for max speed operation was easy. The manual says it can be used up to 35mph, but I set it at a max of 15mph. Just enough to be able to pull away at a traffic light with the top still moving. To program max speed, just drive the speed you want and press the hang up phone button on the steering wheel till it beeps and you're done.

Next test was max opening distance with the remote... it's about 50 yards. Just 3 presses on the unlock button on your MB key and the whole process begins. By the time I got to the car, the top was down and the windows were lowering into the door... it was DONE!

Next... I start the car and give the center console a single tap to close. I then turn off the car and get out as the closing process continues. (there is a slight hesitation when the ignition goes off, but then all continues) I close the door and press the lock button on the door handle as the top is coming down. The windows then close and the doors lock as I am walking away. TOO COOL! I love this thing!

Those are my favorite features so far, but I'll keep toying with it all weekend to try out all the others. It's still early for a complete judgement, but so far, It's all its's advertsed to be.
Old 03-14-2009, 02:58 PM
gqa

05' sl 500
congrats on your install. good write up!
Old 03-14-2009, 06:35 PM

non
By the time I got to the car, the top was down and the windows were lowering into the door... it was DONE!
You know what would be cool? if you can remote start your car audio system. While walking up to the car you could have music playing and the top dropping.
Old 03-14-2009, 09:56 PM

07 S550 & 05 SL55
bam bam youd be surprirsed how easy it can be

i have done alot of alarm installs
like my brothers custom 94 RX7 and his 98 Supra and a bunch of my other friends cars......vette, evo, STi, and suburban

aftermarket alarms like compustar have a bunch of 12 volt accessories and we have used it for a ton of different applications......

that is one thing i miss about the older japanese super cars and and the domestic suvs
the integrated comand systems in our MBs keeps me from doing to much custom work

i personally would not tear apart the complex computer system just to have music playing while i come upto the car

although it would be cool
Old 03-14-2009, 10:01 PM

RHD C200 Sport Coupe, RHD SLK-55, LHD SLK-350
;-) 'tis a nice unit. Couple of things that I like as well -

1] "double tap" the center button lowers windows, another double tap raises them.
2] same on the remote - hit it twice to lock, raises windows, twice on unlock lowers 'em.

Kinda weird question - on the R230, when the top finishes closing - does your audio mute for a second?
Old 03-14-2009, 11:13 PM

Originally Posted by UK-C200
;-) Kinda weird question - on the R230, when the top finishes closing - does your audio mute for a second?
Thanks for the tips, I still have to try out all the functions.

But, no, no break in audio when top cycle finishes.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: SL/R230: Vario-Control Roof Module