SL-Class (R230) 2003 -- 2012: Discussion on the SL500, SL550, SL600

SL/R230: Have Trunk Soft Close / Trunk Assist problems. Here is how to fix DIY.

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 9 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 09-01-2015, 09:33 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Sl65, SL600 RENNtech, Verde Ithaca LP640, 3 highly modified Panteras, Maserati Biturbo, 300D turtle
Originally Posted by moretech
I do not think it is closed all the way or trunk light would go out and you would have 3 flashes. It could be ball and socket clamp is not in right position on rod. I am not sure but it may control trunk light circuit based on how far it moves the rod when trunk closes. It was a real bugger for me, had to get extra help from my mechanic to get that darn clamp closed and as high up on the rod as I could get it. I've had no trouble with the lite circuit.

Moretech
You are right. After I assembled everything exactly the same as those initial bolt locations, I was surprised I had problems. First click close was fine but second click I heard it was not connecting fully. So I tried pressing down on the hood to help it. That didn't help so I figured to raise the connecting latch upward somewhat, and that seemed worse. So now I think the solution for me was really to lower that connecting latch instead of raising it. I figure this because if I close the hood one hatch and then slightly lift up, then it closes fine. Would be good to know the correct process to line things up correctly though for others. Maybe the process should be to loosen all bolts slightly and then close the hood, and maybe it would all adjust itself, and the you tighten everything after opening the hood? I would try lower that connecting latch, but that is one of the bolts that I stripped while tightening. So, be careful your wrench is all the way in and don't over tighten.
Old 09-03-2015, 11:21 PM

Sl65, SL600 RENNtech, Verde Ithaca LP640, 3 highly modified Panteras, Maserati Biturbo, 300D turtle
Word to the wise, or unwise (like me). Pay attention when reading this post, because in the initial post it indicates to unscrew the "hex bolts", which was the mistake I made using an allen wrench on a hex bolt. There is a difference between an allen bolt and a hex bolt, which is why mine stripped easily. Anyway, for a bit of positive, at least I stinkin learned something from the mistake.
Old 09-04-2015, 12:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 Mercedes SL500
2003 sl500 top would not go up, saying trunk open

I have a 03 SL500 and one day my roof wouldn't go up, it was saying trunk open, so I unhooked the convenience battery in the trunk for 3 mins and hooked it back on and the trunk open error went away, so I'm gonna wait it out and see what happens. Thank you MBWorld for all your help!! Just saved me some $$ that the stealership would have took.
Old 09-04-2015, 12:50 AM

Originally Posted by adam_benz33
I have a 03 SL500 and one day my roof wouldn't go up, it was saying trunk open, so I unhooked the convenience battery in the trunk for 3 mins and hooked it back on and the trunk open error went away, so I'm gonna wait it out and see what happens. Thank you MBWorld for all your help!! Just saved me some $$ that the stealership would have took.
Yeah, I was in the same boat. Tried to wait and see with mine too, but as time passed it did it more often and so I was kind of forced to try the fix. I even kept a little wrench in the trunk to do the battery since it started doing it about weekly, then I gave in. So time will tell if my fix was good. Probably no harm with you waiting, you will know if the time comes.
Old 09-04-2015, 12:57 AM

2003 Mercedes SL500
Thanks for the reply, yea that's funny I just put a wrench in my trunk too incase it starts raining and I'm far from my house lol. If it happens again I'm just gonna take the pump out and see where the leaks are and patch them up with epoxy glue. I generally try my hardest to not put my top up and down, these cars are fragile and break down sometimes and when they do it costs big bucks to fix, I keep it in my garage with the top down all the time and only drive when it's nice out, it doesn't even see rain, I baby it
Old 09-16-2015, 02:51 AM

Mercedes 350 SL 2003 Model
Message "close boot lid"

I have a 2003 Mercedes 350 SL. Many times I receive the message "close boot lid" on my dashboard.

I check the boot lid which is locked. I open and close the lid a few times and many times the message disappear, other times it continues.

Pushing the button on the the boot lid operates the closing of the door latches.

If I touch the handle button all of the doors lock - hence the vacuum system is working.

It's just when I open and close the boot it regularly triggers that message when I get in the car and start the engine.

Any advice?
Old 09-16-2015, 03:18 AM

2003 Mercedes SL500
"Trunk open error message"

Originally Posted by martyncaplan
I have a 2003 Mercedes 350 SL. Many times I receive the message "close boot lid" on my dashboard.

I check the boot lid which is locked. I open and close the lid a few times and many times the message disappear, other times it continues.

Pushing the button on the the boot lid operates the closing of the door latches.

If I touch the handle button all of the doors lock - hence the vacuum system is working.

It's just when I open and close the boot it regularly triggers that message when I get in the car and start the engine.

Any advice?
Yes I looked into this issue and found a solution, first try not to use your power top and open and close your trunk as much as you can as it's a older car$, the easiest fix it to lift your trunk mat up and on the right side there's a battery, unplug it for a min then put back and it should fix your problem right away. But like I said just try not to play with the top/trunk too much or you'll have to keep unplugging the battery. The problem is you have a slow leak in your trunk pump vac, if you want to fix it the right way you have 2 choices, buy from dealer for around $600+ or take it out but leave the wire plugged in and see where the leak is on the pump buy putting let's say soap on it then put some epoxy glue, let it dry and reinstall and you should be good to go my friend.
Adam Moe.
Old 09-20-2015, 04:53 PM

2003 SL500
I read this great thread and took my car to local garage who advised me that the repair (epoxy) had already been done on my pump, so decided to bite the bullet and spent GBP 280 for a new pump. The garage fitted on Friday, but problem still exists. After reconnecting convenience battery, the garage tested and it worked a few times so they assumed fixed. By the time I got it home, had stopped working. Rest the convenience battery and worked a few times, now stopped again, so I assume it was not the pump, but there must be a leak somewhere else?? Any suggestions please guys??
Thanks
Dono
Old 09-20-2015, 06:57 PM

Received 41 Likes on 40 Posts
2003 sl 500
could be the latch epoxy repair is not good. That is, there is a new crack somewhere that is not epoxied. When I did mine the cracks were very fine and hard to see, I needed a magnifying glass to really get them all--there were plenty of them. it's a bit of a pain to pull it but I'd go that route IF ALL OTHER vacuum locks/unlocks in the system check out. if only the trunk lock fails I'll bet on a crack in the plastic housing somewhere. check to see if both vacuum lines are properly plugged into the mechanism! Good luck
moretech
Old 09-20-2015, 11:16 PM

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
2003 SL500, 2016 ATS, 2016 CTS 2015 Volt
Originally Posted by dono
I read this great thread and took my car to local garage who advised me that the repair (epoxy) had already been done on my pump, so decided to bite the bullet and spent GBP 280 for a new pump. The garage fitted on Friday, but problem still exists. After reconnecting convenience battery, the garage tested and it worked a few times so they assumed fixed. By the time I got it home, had stopped working. Rest the convenience battery and worked a few times, now stopped again, so I assume it was not the pump, but there must be a leak somewhere else?? Any suggestions please guys??
Thanks
Dono
Your symptoms still indicate a leak in the trunk latch pull down system. I would give it another go to make sure the first repair was done correctly.
Old 09-21-2015, 12:33 AM

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
2003 SL500
You mentioned a new pump or a new latch assembly? If it was a new latch, I would recheck if the air tube lines are not split and fittings are fully seated. If it was a new pump, I would recheck the latch for additional cracks and re-epoxy.
Old 09-21-2015, 03:02 AM

2003 SL500
Soft close

Originally Posted by cyglee
You mentioned a new pump or a new latch assembly? If it was a new latch, I would recheck if the air tube lines are not split and fittings are fully seated. If it was a new pump, I would recheck the latch for additional cracks and re-epoxy.
Thanks for all the suggestions. I used wrong terminology. The pump would appear to be ok as all other functions are good. Only issue was boot/trunk soft close, so I have replaced the boot/trunk latch assembly with brand new, so next check is air lines and fittings.
Thanks guys.
Dono
Old 09-21-2015, 11:20 AM

2003 sl 500
As best as I can find out --At the PUMP the one port marked "HECK" should be the trunk vacuum connection to the latch.

Moretech
The following users liked this post:
blueSL (04-24-2022)
Old 09-21-2015, 02:01 PM

2003 SL500
HECK

As best as I can find out --At the PUMP the one port marked "HECK" should be the trunk vacuum connection to the latch.

Moretech

Thanks very much!
Old 09-29-2015, 05:16 PM

2004 sl500
need some help...!

I can get as far as the part where you remove the actual unit from the car itself. I can't find a way to remove the lock mechanism from the trunk lid to be able to work on it...
There does not seem to be a latch to remove it? The clearance to be able to push the mechanism back into the trunk lid does not seen enough.

Help

Joe
Old 09-29-2015, 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by jmorici01
I can get as far as the part where you remove the actual unit from the car itself. I can't find a way to remove the lock mechanism from the trunk lid to be able to work on it...
There does not seem to be a latch to remove it? The clearance to be able to push the mechanism back into the trunk lid does not seen enough.

Help

Joe
Did you go to the very first post on this (about 5 years ago). It shows exactly how to do it and the pictures are great. It really is a pretty easy job.
Old 09-29-2015, 06:09 PM

2003 SL500
Joe,
I am thinking you need to release one of the metal arms from the latch assembly... take another look at the original photos, or take a new photo of where you are stuck. You have lots of helpers here.
Old 09-30-2015, 12:40 PM

2003 sl 500
Just did mine a bit back. you must click and release the ball and socket clamp attached to the rod (it's a bugger to undo) to pull the whole unit down. Then carefully release the 2 hoses. It is a bit hard to release the clamp without long (very) nosed pliers. The pliers can really help to reclamp the unit in place when finished

moretech
Old 10-02-2015, 11:31 PM

My mechanic tried to do the repair using this DIY post. Unfortunately, he tried the gluing part and couldn't make it work. Long story short, I have to buy the part. Didn't want to get it from the "Stealership" so I would like to ask you Pros - where I could get this trunk latch part #2307500185 for my 2007 SL55.

Thanks in advance.

Bari
Old 10-03-2015, 09:57 PM

Anyone? Where do you buy your parts from? Any trustworthy vendor out there?
Old 10-04-2015, 02:29 AM

2003 SL500
I have used FCP euro, free shipping, tax, and mbwholesalepartsonline.com. You can goggle Mercedes parts for other sources.
Old 10-04-2015, 05:33 PM

I wonder why the attempted fix didn't work for you. Apparently it fixed mine, at least so far no issues anyway. Wrong glue? Didn't let it set? Didn't fully pile on the glue where all those small bearing parts are located? Maybe try glueing it yourself, or just have another go at it. If you are just fed up messing with it, that is understandable too. I have a low tolerance trying to fix stuff myself, but this process wasn't that bad overall.
Old 11-01-2015, 11:19 AM

'14 Mazda 3 & '08 Lex IS250
Hello all: i used to have a 1997 500sl. Now looking for '07 SL550. I remember the '97 using "air" for locks, trunks, etc. It drove me nuts.

I see they still use "air" in the newer cars. Why do they do that? Electric is the only way to go.
Old 11-01-2015, 02:02 PM

2003 sl 500
using vacuum

It may be in part that the system is "whisper quiet", I don't know.
Old 11-08-2015, 09:44 PM

It may be in part that the system is "whisper quiet", I don't know.
I call it pure German arrogance

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 9 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: SL/R230: Have Trunk Soft Close / Trunk Assist problems. Here is how to fix DIY.