SL-Class (R230) 2003 -- 2012: Discussion on the SL500, SL550, SL600

SL/R230: 2003 top hydraulic low pressure/leak?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-25-2024, 08:06 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2003 SL500
2003 top hydraulic low pressure/leak?

Trying to resurrect a car that sat for over 7 years. PSE system is up and running. Now it is the top. The system appears to work very sluggishly. The only way I can make it work is by continuously refilling the tank on the hydraulic pump. I eventually made it to lower the top all the way. It took about 4 refills, each 30-50cc of oil. E.g. the oil would barely be there when the system timed out middle of the way. After the refill the system would appear to be braced and work for 20-30 secs eventually slowing and then stopping.

Clearly, the system loses pressure because the hydraulic fluid is going somewhere but I cannot find the leak. I am looking everywhere with a powerful flashlight and not a drip insight. I can see some wetness on the seals but no drops or leaks. Is there a hidden place where it can leak away from my prying eyes?

Also, do you guys know the part number for the passive hydraulic strut on the right side of the trunk? It appears to assist the left one that is controlled by the system and I want to replace it first because it is likely dead after all this seating.

Also, if it helps - the trunk button that supposed to raise and lower the top doesn't seem to work either.

Last edited by peterkay; 01-25-2024 at 08:12 AM.
Old 01-25-2024, 08:36 AM

Received 257 Likes on 198 Posts
'03 SL55 Black, '03 SL500's Aegean, Mars Red, Tazanite, Alabaster, '11 S550 Flint Gray
First, pull the spare tire and everything below it and see if the trunk floor is dry. If so, pull the wing panels so that you can see the main and load assist cylinders. Finally, pull the interior quarter trims and check the roll bar and lock pawls.
Old 01-25-2024, 09:20 AM

2003 SL500
Originally Posted by MikeJ65
First, pull the spare tire and everything below it and see if the trunk floor is dry. If so, pull the wing panels so that you can see the main and load assist cylinders. Finally, pull the interior quarter trims and check the roll bar and lock pawls.
Yes, I already did. Also inspected all the cylinders of the top. I am suspecting that the leak is in the roll bar system. Will check it when i get home today.
Old 01-25-2024, 11:22 AM

2003 SL500
One question, is there an easy way I could block these hydraulic lines? I was thinking to just block them by bending and see if the pressure is restored. Or many be doing on the solenoid level with SDS?
Old 01-25-2024, 02:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 250 Likes on 202 Posts
95 SL600
Regardless if you want the system to work you have to find and fix the leak. I would advise against bending or kinking any of these likes, as they aren’t easy or cheap to repair. Doing things half assed on this car will lead to
nothing but bigger headaches. It’s leaking somewhere, and it’s all got to be fixed for any of it to work at all.
Old 01-25-2024, 05:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
R230 SL500
The first cylinder to leak on my car was the upper windscreen unlock one. Eventually you will see fluid leaking out from the headliner. Apparently they are a common issue, but easy to repair in situ with a repair kit.
Old 01-25-2024, 05:35 PM

2003 SL500
Originally Posted by cdk4219
Regardless if you want the system to work you have to find and fix the leak. I would advise against bending or kinking any of these likes, as they aren’t easy or cheap to repair. Doing things half assed on this car will lead to
nothing but bigger headaches. It’s leaking somewhere, and it’s all got to be fixed for any of it to work at all.
Chasten and bowed. I am just looking for an easy way to diagnose this leak and lack of pressure w/o taking the interior apart.
Old 01-25-2024, 06:07 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
R230 SL500
I have a similar issue with mine. Now that I have managed to get the pump to work, it won't operate the roof all the way. I had to fix several defects to get to the point that it would run. Fix the PSE pump (I had to replace the motor), fix the windscreen A pillar microswitch actuating pin (it had broken off inside the latch) and repair a flaps microswitch. All of those items were identified by my diagnostic system. Once fixed I could get the pump to run. But now that it's working it will only lift the rear deck a few inches then stall. I either have a weak pump or an internal leak. It won't even raise the roll over bar. I suspect I have a weak pump.
Old 01-25-2024, 06:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

95 SL600
Unfortunately there is nothing easy with this car, especially the roof and it’s problems.

Unfortunately it’s going
to be a hunt. I would suggest a bore camera for inspection if you don’t want to disassemble the car. There are no shortcuts with these cars, and everything takes much longer to fix.
Old 01-25-2024, 06:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

95 SL600
I haven’t heard of anyone replacing a pump, but I could be wrong. It doesn’t seem to be a common issue, or hasn’t in the past. These pumps don’t produce much pressure, and a very small leak will make them not work
Old 01-25-2024, 08:40 PM

2003 SL500
Originally Posted by Beeza
I have a similar issue with mine. Now that I have managed to get the pump to work, it won't operate the roof all the way. I had to fix several defects to get to the point that it would run. Fix the PSE pump (I had to replace the motor), fix the windscreen A pillar microswitch actuating pin (it had broken off inside the latch) and repair a flaps microswitch. All of those items were identified by my diagnostic system. Once fixed I could get the pump to run. But now that it's working it will only lift the rear deck a few inches then stall. I either have a weak pump or an internal leak. It won't even raise the roll over bar. I suspect I have a weak pump.
Check the hydraulic oil levels. If it is low it won't pressurize. I finally found the leak on my car - it is the roll bar cylinder. I will order a replacement and start taking the trim off.
Old 01-26-2024, 08:25 AM

2003 SL500
Originally Posted by cdk4219
Unfortunately there is nothing easy with this car, especially the roof and it’s problems.

Unfortunately it’s going
to be a hunt. I would suggest a bore camera for inspection if you don’t want to disassemble the car. There are no shortcuts with these cars, and everything takes much longer to fix.

Found the leak. Once I was informed that the roll bar is hydraulically actuated - it was easy. I filled the tank and had a helper actuate the roll bar while I was scouting about with a flashlight. Both of my body lock pawl cylinder leak by shooting a very narrow stream of oil. It was difficult to see w/o flashligh and the smudges it left are behind the carpet. But I could see it nice and clear when the system was under pressure. However, I don't understand why there is pressure in these lines since I only activated the roll bar? Do I have a problem with the valve bodies?

Last edited by peterkay; 01-26-2024 at 01:21 PM.