Old 01-15-2014, 02:01 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2007 E350
I would Love to see a picture!!
Old 06-16-2014, 04:17 PM
bha

Received 55 Likes on 45 Posts
13 GL350, 14 SL550
Just a question about using the AUX input vs. the DICE solution.

I thought the AUX input thing "resets" itself when you shut the car off.. don't you have to hit SVC (or whatever) then pick AUX input again every time you start the car?

I thought radio/CD were the only modes that stayed that way.

Afraid to locate my COMAND only to find that I have to get it back into Aux mode every time.

I'd like to do a hybrid (Google Nexus 7 which is the size of an iPad mini) + R230 dual DIN bezel kit + existing Comand in AUX mode.

That would be a cheap solution (really no cost to relocate the Comand, plus DIN bezel cost + Nexus 7 that I already have which was under $200)
Old 06-17-2014, 08:02 PM
bha

13 GL350, 14 SL550
Originally Posted by bha
Just a question about using the AUX input vs. the DICE solution.

I thought the AUX input thing "resets" itself when you shut the car off.. don't you have to hit SVC (or whatever) then pick AUX input again every time you start the car?
OK so I did a test today and good news!

If you put the car in Aux mode, it stays that way permanently (I guess until the battery is disconnected)

I'm going to proceed with this mod and relocate my Comand. I actually want to install a Nexus 7 with new double din bezel, so another option (not sure if it will work, but will be easier) will be to remove/modify the Comand brackets so it can be "pushed back" about 1.5 inch into the dash. Then I can mount the new bezel/N7 right in front of it.

If that doesn't work, I'll relocate it to the CD changer area.

Will post pics here when I'm done. May take me a month or two to order parts, install, test, etc.

From what I can see I'll be able to add a webcam as a backup cam (permanently on), Navigon for navigation, SMS functionality (see texts pop up), and my music storage (internal, and also USB external storage)

Only issue seems to be a good radio app + radio dongle but I can live without radio if I have to. I only listen to it for weather/traffic anyhow, and I can tether the N7 to my phone when I get in the car, so I can see that stuff pop up automatically anyhow.

This could be pretty simple..

N7
Bezel kit
3.5MM cable (from headphone jack to Comand)
Y cable for hub + power, connected to 2 things:
12V socket+power adapter
-and-
hub and parts connected to it (USB thumb drive, backup cam, etc.)

I plan to use Comand for volume, and leave the N7 at 80% volume all the time. That way I can use the steering wheel controls to raise/lower the volume. So really the only thing I'll lose is the other button on the steering wheel (up/down) which changes songs/tracks. Considering I have a touchscreen involved, I can give that up and just tap the screen.
Old 06-17-2014, 08:56 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2007 SL550
Great idea. I think you've got a decent plan. There's plenty of room behind the stock COMAND unit. I think recessing it into the dash is a great solution. Good luck with this, and keep us posted.
Old 06-19-2014, 07:33 AM
bha

13 GL350, 14 SL550
I am going to start a separate post about my adventure, so I don't hijack this thread.. stay tuned
Old 08-05-2014, 09:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 SL55 AMG
Originally Posted by camachojd
But I wanted to go further and really upgrade to state of the art looks and functions of the IPAD. So I figured out how to use my IPAD mini as the control for the command system instead of my Iphone or Ipod. This was very easy because the IPAD mini also pairs to the DICE bluetooth just like my phone. The problem was how or where to mount the IPAD mini. Well it just so happens that Johnny Gomez in Phoenix actually builds an IPAD mini holder in dash in the same place where the stock unit once was. He charges a fair price and his result is fabulous. Look it up on YOU TUBE under "mercedes IPAD Mini" or "Johnny Gomez". So after I solved that problem, the next problem was where to relocate the command unit? The answer was move it to the rear storage compartment, just as described in this thread!!! It works PERFECTLY!!! Best of all, the functions (steering wheel, mercedes phone, etc) in the car all remain "normal" and nothing looks cooler than the IPAD mini in the dash! BTW, based on Johnny's design, it is sooooo easy to remove the IPAD and put back in. It even looks great when it is out.
And so, I am now driving around my 2003 SL55 with an IPAD mini custom installed in the dash, with all of the other things in the car working like they have been for years...nothing could be better.

Cheers, Joe
Joe, great to hear about your iPad mini mod. I also have an 2003 SL55 and would like to do the same. Couple questions:

1. Is this the place you mentioned with Johnny Gomez: http://www.soundmanca.com/ ? If not, can you send a link?

2. Can you upload a few pics of your dash with the iPad?

Thanks!
J.
Old 11-27-2014, 07:31 PM

SL500
Replace GPS / DVD / Radio unit

I have an 2003 SL500 and I am wondering if anyone has installed the DaTang Company GPS / DVD unit? Just found it while searching for options to have some updated features in a fun car. The link below will take you to the info on this unit.

http://www.cargpsnet.com/mercedes-sl...580-p-525.html
Old 11-28-2014, 01:56 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
SL550 Designo Crystal & Red Interior - SL55 Silver & Black Interior - E550
I did it on my 03 SL55. Fairly painless with the right guy doing it.

Originally Posted by gfpollock17
I have an 2003 SL500 and I am wondering if anyone has installed the DaTang Company GPS / DVD unit? Just found it while searching for options to have some updated features in a fun car. The link below will take you to the info on this unit.

http://www.cargpsnet.com/mercedes-sl...580-p-525.html
Old 03-27-2015, 01:49 AM

SL500
Originally Posted by SL500plus
I played around a while with add-ons like the bluetooth puck, and other hardware and finally decided the hell with it and went and talked to a pro installer. I wanted a touchsreen, full nav, music storage, video, iphone, bluetooth, etc. AND I wanted the steering wheel controls to still work with the radio. I have an early 2004 and with the MOST wiring, wasn't 100% comfortable tackling it alone or had the time to spend pulling panels and figuring things out.

The only thing the installer really needed to replace was the amp. Speakers and everything else remained stock. The one squirrelly thing was the mounting bracket. In mid-2004 Mercedes swapped out the radio and wiring system. And easy way to tell is that if you have an earlier model, then the wood burl wraps around the sides and top of the radio. If you have a later model, the radio fills the entire space above the cup holders. Another noticeable change is in the later models is that the edges of the cup holders are square against the sides of the trim and the earlier models are curved around the lower left and lower right edges.

Option 1 was to gut the fascia from the old radio, fill it with fiberglass and create a new frame. Option 2 was to get a ready-made kit that Pioneer manufactures (see link below), and cut the top off the wood burl frame.

I went with option 2, however wasn't totally pleased with the look in the end. I eventually bought an old 2005+ cup holder off ebay and swapped it out to get more of a 2005+ look. Interesting note about the cup holder is that the face pieces snap right off -- just twist up on them slightly. So rather than replacing the entire cup holder unit, I just unsnapped the old 2004 (rounded edge) face pieces, and snapped on the newer 2005 (squared edge).

So you're wondering what the cost was ... about $2500 all in. Roughly $1,500 for the radio, and another $1,000 for extra parts and labor. Before you freak out though ... here's something else to note. I wound up selling all the old parts and pieces on ebay, including: The command unit, the old amp, the old cell phone and wiring, the old NAV cds, the old CD changer, etc. And wound up recouping just under $1,000. So my actual expense was only around $1,500, and the cost of the extra parts and labor zeroed out. Not too bad for a top of the line unit.

I'm very happy while driving. The Garmin built-in NAV is great, my entire music library runs off a single thumb-drive (loads up fast too), the iPhone/Bluetooth works great, and more. And the steering wheel controls all work too. Plus I got some extra space back in the driver-side storage compartment. (Only drawback is the control to reset the clock built into the dash was inside the old head unit. Still need to figure that one out.)

Here's some links if this helps illustrate that it is possible to get new technology into an older SL500. This is NOT a comprehensive list, as there were more parts and pieces. I wouldn't recommend this as a do it yourself project unless you have plenty of extra time ... go see a pro installer.

ICE nationwide network of radio installer (In Car Experts)
http://www.incarexperts.com/

Kenwood DNX9990HD
http://www.kenwoodusa.com/car_entert...tion/dnx9990hd

Pioneer SL500 Double DIN Kit
http://www.pioneer.eu/files/eur/car_.../391190-25.pdf
available here:
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...-CT23MB11.html

Explanation of SL500 MOST wiring
http://www.collectionautosports.com/...ent-2004-sl500

Steering wheel controls (PAC SWIRC and PAC SWI-CAN2)
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...AC-SWI-RC.html
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...-SWI-CAN2.html

AMP
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...-PBR300X1.html
SL500 2003 Model. Removal of Wood Trim/Formica impossible.
I have removed the two side panels held by clips and then i removed the screws.
then used a sledge to bar it up but its too strong, i applied force still it wont come out.
Pls i need short video clip on how to remove the formica wood trim.
I cant remove the Gear Shifter Unit unless the wood trim comes off.
My Gear Lever got stuck in Park, i have removed it from park. I was told the Selonoid inside the shifter unit damaged, i purchased the comp;lete unit but my poroblem is how to remove the entire shifter unit
Email me video clip pls.
jayshedrach@yahoo.com