SL-Class (R230) 2003 -- 2012: Discussion on the SL500, SL550, SL600

SL/R230: Please HELP me remove gearshift

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-14-2012, 11:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes C300
Please HELP me remove gearshift

Can someone please help me remove the gearshift module for my 2003 SL500? I'm having the same problem as everyone else with my gearshift being stuck in park. I've followed the guides and I've been able to remove the center console, but I can't find any guides beyond that.

I've been trying to remove the three hex bolts holding the gearshift module down, but thus far I've been very unsuccessful. The one hex bolt seems to be hidden behind a metal rod protrusion. How can I take that bolt out with the protrusion in the way? The other two I can't get to very well because of the plastic bar running across the gearshift module. I can't seem to fit a tool in there properly to remove it. Does anyone know exactly what tool to use or if I can remove that plastic bar? Please help me! Thank you.

Old 04-26-2015, 09:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sl500
I have the same issue any answers or pics?
Old 04-27-2015, 09:41 AM

Received 222 Likes on 165 Posts
'08 S550 P3; Golf Carts; MT Bike; Scooters
gear shift removal

Let me see if i can help.

You will need to drill 2 holes through the composite beam directly above the rear screws. Don't worry...no one will see them. They need to be at least 5mm, but go ahead and make them 1/4" or so.
Next, use a "ball head" Allen wrench to remove these 2 screws. A straight Allen wrench may not align correctly. 4mm or 5mm is the size IIRC.

As for the front screw...I recall just pushing the rod back out of the way...but I could be mistaken. Maybe it has to be in Park?
If all else fails, it appears to have a clip that can be removed...but only if it is preventing the rod from moving back.
The R230 WIS instructions do not supply any info (see link) https://mbworld.org/forums/sl-class-...oid-issue.html

You may want to search the forums again for the steps on the front bolt. Good luck!
Old 04-27-2015, 10:06 AM

Received 94 Likes on 69 Posts
2012 E350 4Matic P2
Originally Posted by stagmite
Can someone please help me remove the gearshift module for my 2003 SL500? I'm having the same problem as everyone else with my gearshift being stuck in park. I've followed the guides and I've been able to remove the center console, but I can't find any guides beyond that.

I've been trying to remove the three hex bolts holding the gearshift module down, but thus far I've been very unsuccessful. The one hex bolt seems to be hidden behind a metal rod protrusion. How can I take that bolt out with the protrusion in the way? The other two I can't get to very well because of the plastic bar running across the gearshift module. I can't seem to fit a tool in there properly to remove it. Does anyone know exactly what tool to use or if I can remove that plastic bar? Please help me! Thank you.

Check out this instruction from Benzworld. It appears that you could angle in a ball end hex wrench to access those rear screws.

Good Luck,

Bob