SL-Class (R230) 2003 -- 2012: Discussion on the SL500, SL550, SL600

SL/R230: SL500 Unveiling photo's

Old 03-08-2002, 09:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1995 Jaguar XJS Convertible
Talking SL500 Unveiling photo's and Text!!

wow.. I must say that I was in shock!! what a machine.. My dealer had the party last night, and was delivering 17 LE's!!! They also had 1 black, sports package, SL500 that they were using to demonstrate.

I will try to punch out as much as I can remember, but if anyone has questions, please post them, and maybe it will jog my memory..

Although I enjoyed the LE, I would not have purchased it. There were 2 people from MBNA talking about the car, and showing of all of the features.

The one that I was most impressed by was the "brake by wire" system on the new SL!! It is an electro-hydraulic braking system. So, when you step on the brakes, an electrical signal is sent to the electro-hydraulic control unit, and the unit actually supplies the fluid and pressure to the pistons!! This unit is circled in red, in the below photo's.. if I am not mistaked, this is the only car in the world that has this type of braking system.

Ever since coming off of Submarine duty, whereby a great deal of systems are electro-hydraulic, I wondered how long it would take for a car manufacturer to come up with this type of braking technology..

The braking system is in a league of its own. I was told that the braking system automaticall performs the following funtions:

- If you suddenly release your foot from the accellerator, the braking system moves the pads very close to the rotors, as it is preparing for an emergency stop. This way, if you did have to perform an emergency stop the pad to not have to travel far to stop the car.

- If the cars rain sensors are detecting rain, the brake system, every few minutes, will move the pads close to the rotors, in order to keep them dry.

"Brake by Wire" Electro Hydraulic Control Unit:

LE's - Front:

LE's - Side:

LE's - Rear:

LE Wheel:

I had a chance to sit in the SL500, and was very impressed at the interior. Let me say that it is a great improvement over the previous SL500!!

There are buttons on the back of the seats that, when pressed will move the seat-back up, and the seat forward, so that you may access the storage compartments behind each seat. Pressing the button again will move the seat to its original position.

The re-view mirror also has a "smart" capability, so that it remembers the position of the mirror.

There are also side compartments on each door that may be opened or closed. They are very sleek, and do not brake up the lines of the interior

The roof may be raised, and lowered via the remote control. When the top is in the down position you may open the trunk and push a button that will raise the folded roof several inches, so that you may place items in your trunk without having to raise the roof (like the SLK).

SL 500 Sport Package - Interior:

SL 500 Sport Package - Interior Detail's:

SL 500 Sport Package - Wheel:

I LOVE the SL500 Sports Package wheel, and plan on choosing this wheel for my SL55..

Last edited by Mr. Xristo; 03-08-2002 at 09:23 AM.
Old 03-08-2002, 09:17 AM
Almost a Member!

W203 C-Class
Thumbs up

Absolutely Gorgeous!! Thanks for sharing!

-G'day-
Old 03-08-2002, 09:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally posted by C-Kompii
Absolutely Gorgeous!! Thanks for sharing!

-G'day-
Surely!!
Old 03-08-2002, 10:09 AM
Out Of Control!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
SLL55AMG

Another sure hit!

Thanks for the pics!
Old 03-08-2002, 11:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally posted by JamE55
SLL55AMG

Another sure hit!

Thanks for the pics!
no prob!!
Old 03-08-2002, 04:03 PM
Almost a Member!

SL500 Sport Package

Dikd you take any pictures (besides the on of the interior) that you can post of the black SL500 with the sport package?
Old 03-08-2002, 04:06 PM
Almost a Member!

SL500 Sport Package

Did you take any pictures (besides the one of the interior) that you can post of the black SL500 with the sport package?