SL-Class (R230) 2003 -- 2012: Discussion on the SL500, SL550, SL600

SL/R230: abc fluid flush/replacement

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-19-2013, 02:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
05 SL500
abc fluid flush/replacement

i have not found a comprehensive method of a flush of abc fluid.i have done a search.
will this method of siphoning from the top reservoirs remove a gallon of fluid?(i know it wont get all of it out)replace filter,rodeo, and replace new filter again?..copied the pic from another post about the abc .
Attached Thumbnails abc fluid flush/replacement-003.jpg  

Last edited by COMEINPEACE; 10-19-2013 at 04:20 PM.
Old 10-19-2013, 04:38 PM

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts
2005 SL55 AMG
Originally Posted by COMEINPEACE
i have not found a comprehensive method of a flush of abc fluid.i have done a search.
will this method of siphoning from the top reservoirs remove a gallon of fluid(i know it wont get all of it out)replace filter,rodeo, and replace new filter again?..copied the pic from another post about the abc .
I did mine at home a few weeks ago. It was pretty simple. No rodeo involved:

Necessary Items:

1/2" to 1/2" hose connector (in the plumbing section) - Lowes
5 feet of 1/2" clear hose (in the plumbing section) - Lowes
1 Clean bucket
5 or 6 quarts of Pentosin CHF-11S. Cheapest place I found it was my local NAPA in stock at $17.99/quart
1 or 2 new ABC filters (1 is necessary - read procedure below then decide if you feel you want to change it out twice).

Remove the 1/2" return hose that is clamped to the ABC reservoir cap. Install the 1/2" to 1/2" adapter in the return hose, then installed the clear plastic hose to the other side of the 1/2" to 1/2" adapter and drop the end of the clear hose in a clean bucket on the ground next to the car.

Remove the reservoir fill cap/filter assembly from the ABC reservoir and place aside.

Have your cans of Pentosin at the ready, with their spouts pulled up out of the cans.

Have an assistant start the car. You will see the old ABC fluid pouring out the clear hose from the return line into your bucket as soon as the engine is started. As soon as the engine is started be ready to replenish the ABC reservoir with fresh pentosin. The reservoir drains down fairly slowly so, I did not have an issue keeping up with the fluid level. **DO NOT LET THE RESERVOIR RUN DRY!! IF YOU CANNOT KEEP UP WITH THE FLUID LEVEL IN THE RESERVOIR FOR ANY REASON HAVE YOUR ASSISTANT SHUT THE CAR OFF IMMEDIATELY**.

It may help to poke a hole in the bottom of the can of Pentosin with an Awl or small screwdriver as this will drain the can faster.

You will quickly get the hang of the process and a feel for replenishing the reservoir with fluid as the engine pumps the old fluid into the bucket. Now have your assistant cycle the ride height adjustment button on the center console so the car travels up and down. Continue the up/down procedure until the fluid coming out of the return line is nice and clean (this is why the clear hose really helps). I think I used 4 or 5 cans of Pentosin. Once you are happy shut the car down, replace the ABC filter on the reservoir cap with a new filter, replace the ABC filler cap back on the reservoir and reinstall the return line back on the reservoir cap.

Remove the dipstick from the ABC reservoir and start the car up.

While watching the fluid level through the dipstick tube hole start the car up and cycle the ride height a few times. Add fluid as necessary through the dipstick hole to keep the fluid level within the normal operating range (the extended pentosin filler neck will just fit into the dipstick tube opening). Once the system maintains fluid level even while cycling the ride height up/down you are done.

I changed my ABC filter again after about a week just to be sure the remove any residual dirt.

Hope this helps,

Brian

Last edited by vtvette; 02-08-2014 at 11:30 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by vtvette:
dan190 (02-24-2024), jvakos (05-03-2021), wgrady (05-25-2022), YeaItsJosh (05-10-2022)
Old 10-19-2013, 06:00 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
CLK320, ML550, SL55, GL450
Awesome post! Gonna try it soon.
Gonna link it in the DIY section too..
Old 11-24-2013, 03:12 PM

Received 239 Likes on 152 Posts
'19 CLS53, '19 SL550, '22 GLE53
One More Thing

Originally Posted by vtvette
Brian
Excellent. Thanks, Brian. I'll give it a try, but I have an additional step to suggest:

Before starting the engine to pump fluid, suggest that the tank should be emptied (use a turkey baster) and refilled with new fluid. If the old fluid is contaminated, it will find it's way to the pump and other components without being filtered. So remove as much old fluid as possible and refill with new Pentosin.

Or perhaps better yet, insert a small tube into the dipstick hole and suck out old fluid from there using an oil vacuum device before removing the cap and filter.

Last edited by slk55er; 11-25-2013 at 12:19 PM. Reason: Addition
The following users liked this post:
jvakos (05-03-2021)
Old 12-17-2013, 03:15 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2003 SL55 AMG
You can buy a 20-ltr container at $214 on amazon (~$11/ltr):
Pentosin Power Steering Fluid Pentosin CHF 11S 20 Ltr : Amazon.com : Automotive Pentosin Power Steering Fluid Pentosin CHF 11S 20 Ltr : Amazon.com : Automotive
Make sure it is #1405208 (see spec in http://www.pentosin.net/f_hydraulicfluid.asp).
You can generously use 6-7 ltrs to flush the system, use another liter to refresh your power steering oil, and still able to keep a bunch left for "darker days" (when you have to fix any part(s) of the system and flush it again)
Since it is so easy to flush and not too expensive to buy Pentosin and the filter, I suggest you give the system a favor and flush it every 2-3 years, or 15-20K miles...

(After the flush, the car will ride much better and smoother!)

Hai
Old 03-23-2014, 11:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
07 E63 06 CLK55 Cab 03 P-car C4S
Abc flush

This is awesome...an YouTube video could be really beneficial for newbies .
PL

Necessary Items:

1 Clean bucket
5 or 6 quarts of Pentosin CHF-11S. Cheapest place I found it was my local NAPA in stock at $17.99/quart
1 or 2 new ABC filters (1 is necessary - read procedure below then decide if you feel you want to change it out twice).

Remove the 1/2" return hose that is clamped to the ABC reservoir cap. Install the 1/2" to 1/2" adapter in the return hose, then installed the clear plastic hose to the other side of the 1/2" to 1/2" adapter and drop the end of the clear hose in a clean bucket on the ground next to the car.

Remove the reservoir fill cap/filter assembly from the ABC reservoir and place aside.

Have your cans of Pentosin at the ready, with their spouts pulled up out of the cans.

Have an assistant start the car. You will see the old ABC fluid pouring out the clear hose from the return line into your bucket as soon as the engine is started. As soon as the engine is started be ready to replenish the ABC reservoir with fresh pentosin. The reservoir drains down fairly slowly so, I did not have an issue keeping up with the fluid level. **DO NOT LET THE RESERVOIR RUN DRY!! IF YOU CANNOT KEEP UP WITH THE FLUID LEVEL IN THE RESERVOIR FOR ANY REASON HAVE YOUR ASSISTANT SHUT THE CAR OFF IMMEDIATELY**.

It may help to poke a hole in the bottom of the can of Pentosin with an Awl or small screwdriver as this will drain the can faster.

You will quickly get the hang of the process and a feel for replenishing the reservoir with fluid as the engine pumps the old fluid into the bucket. Now have your assistant cycle the ride height adjustment button on the center console so the car travels up and down. Continue the up/down procedure until the fluid coming out of the return line is nice and clean (this is why the clear hose really helps). I think I used 4 or 5 cans of Pentosin. Once you are happy shut the car down, replace the ABC filter on the reservoir cap with a new filter, replace the ABC filler cap back on the reservoir and reinstall the return line back on the reservoir cap.

While watching the fluid level through the dipstick tube hole start the car up and cycle the ride height a few times. Add fluid as necessary through the dipstick hole to keep the fluid level within the normal operating range (the extended pentosin filler neck will just fit into the dipstick tube opening). Once the system maintains fluid level even while cycling the ride height up/down you are done.

I changed my ABC filter again after about a week just to be sure the remove any residual dirt.

Hope this helps,

Brian
Old 03-23-2014, 05:42 PM

05 SL500
There is a youtube vid- white 230 somewhere in the middle east
no narrative though. just enough to present the method
search it
Old 03-23-2014, 09:13 PM

05 SL500
Old 03-30-2014, 10:20 AM

Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts
89 SL500 Silver ,97 SL500 Carlsson 04 Mercedes SL55 AMG , 07 Mercedes SL55 AMG convertedBlack series
stop leaks on ABC system

Necessary Items:

1 Clean bucket

Hope this helps,

Brian
One guy i know, he has addetive that you can put on your ABC system if it leaks , it stop the leak and expand the rubber in damper seal ,wotks fine, i tested it . www.icelube.net ,have look or www.qmi.no also i always use teflon treatment on engine, gear and aft, reduce heat and keep engine and component safe , is good stuff, i been racing my SL55 hard from day one, and 5 years, and not done any repairs to engine, gearbox or aft in that time.. even been on track for some days
Old 03-30-2014, 11:48 AM

05 SL500
I have read that those sealants introduced in the ABC system can be CATASTROPHIC.
yes it would be a perfect world when those of us that have had issues with the hydraulics
could just add a can of sealant and be up and running again.
Old 03-30-2014, 12:09 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2007 SL550
Oh boy, I'd stay away from additives to the ABC system like the plague. Almost assuredly you're going to take out the pump, valve blocks, and possibly the struts at every corner. What could have been fixed with a rebuild will now become a close to $10,000 replacement job with additives.

Like COMEINPEACE says, it would be nice to live in a simple world where pouring a can of goop into your car fixes all sorts of problems. Unfortunately, that world doesn't exist. IF your ABC system is leaking, you can find the source, and usually you can rebuild the component (if its the pump or valve blocks), or get a reasonably cheap replacement (in the case of struts).
Old 03-30-2014, 12:35 PM

89 SL500 Silver ,97 SL500 Carlsson 04 Mercedes SL55 AMG , 07 Mercedes SL55 AMG convertedBlack series
i would agree with you . Exept i used this companys stuff for 15 years, and always keept what it says it will do. i had leak on both suspension in front , and after this stuff on, it worked ,stopped the leak, car behaved good also , saved me for replacement of those in front, guess the rubber seal inside the suspension was dry . leak was heavy, happend after hard braking down from 150 kmh, hole front came down over the wheels, ACB alarm went off , needes stopp car press for pump up . this stuff also grease the valves. so was not worried about change anything or damage anything. as hardcore MB AMG user ,and fan, i would not recomend anything to MB owners if i cant stand for what i say.
Old 06-18-2014, 08:31 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
SL550
Originally Posted by bzliteyear
PL
I appreciate the DIY flush steps. Have seen similar on another forum. I took the plunge and did it last night. One reminder I would add to the list (and of course this is from experience...last night) is remember that the fluid level will rise when the motor is turned off. I filled the reservoir a little too much with engine running so I had some spill out when the engine was turned off. Fairly straightforward though. Definitely has potential to be kind of messy. Get lots of towels spread around. I "borrowed" a baking sheet to put beneath the filter while trying to get it off and disconnecting the reservoir filter tube. Next time I may devise a method to get the fluid to come out a little faster (hole the the bottom as someone mentioned) or just buy the five liter jug. I used eight cans. Probably I was good at seven cans as the fluid in the clear tube looked clear but did another one since I had 11 in total.
Old 03-18-2015, 09:02 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2004 SL 500 2002 Vovo S80 T6
ABC Flushing Video

Originally Posted by bzliteyear
PL
I am a visual guy and any video helps me immensely. I am too simple to just read it and the find it. Like a ABC cap and dip stick.
Old 06-18-2015, 08:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
G350 Bluetec
Drain struts too.

There is a WIS procedure to drain the struts also. Otherwise you have "old" fluid in a significant part of the system. If you look at your OM you'll see how much Pentosin your system requires. If I recall it's about 2x what the dealer checklist "flush" requires. I get mine from Amazon. I do a complete fluid replacement at 30-40 k Miles, alternating with the transmission service at a similar recommended mileage. BTW iif you have a 5 spd transmission the dealer checklist is a drop the pan 5 quarts please. Again, that's only half the fluid in the tranny if you look at your OM. But, there is a WIS procedure to drain and replace the fluid completely. I get xxx.14 Shell certified ATF fluid from Amazon. Last one took 12 quarts. You need a bit more than the capacity of thr transmission.

You may have to go to the servive manager and the foreman will probably do the work. Most service writers don't have a clue. The last one didn't even know what ABC was

I think there are procedures for both of these proper services if you search on the site..
Old 06-18-2015, 12:01 PM

Received 44 Likes on 32 Posts
2007 E350; 2018 GLE350
Wanna flush the ABC system properly? Here ya' go:

Old 01-06-2016, 02:15 PM

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
2012 C63 P31 Coupe. 2007 SL55. 1992 911 C2 Coupe
Ejbrock

Great video on "How To Change the ABC Fluid"

Thank You!!
Old 08-22-2016, 10:53 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
SL55 2003
Is there any alternative for the pentosin chf11s ?

My mechanic used a different oil (Zeetex hydraulic oil AW 68) which is way cheaper and told me its the same. He even said he used it in different abc cars and they work fine ...

http://www.zeetex.com/wp-content/uploads/Page-27.pdf

What do you think ???!
Old 08-22-2016, 12:53 PM

ADD Teflon

Originally Posted by mAMG
Is there any alternative for the pentosin chf11s ?

My mechanic used a different oil (Zeetex hydraulic oil AW 68) which is way cheaper and told me its the same. He even said he used it in different abc cars and they work fine ...

http://www.zeetex.com/wp-content/uploads/Page-27.pdf

What do you think ???!
if specs is same on oil, why not . but i have always added teflon treatment to my SL55 AMG cars ,and it will reduce the heat alot , lubricate the gaskets in system . can highly recommend it , litte dash on powersteering also .

http://www.qmimo.com/1-qmi-engine-treatment/