SL-Class (R230) 2003 -- 2012: Discussion on the SL500, SL550, SL600

SL/R230: Coolant Level Low warning

Old 04-10-2014, 02:09 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2003 SL500 Sport Pkg, 2008 BMW X5 4.8L, 2011 Prius (my gas saver:-))
Coolant Level Low warning

I have been noticing that when I start the car in the morning, I get the Low Coolant warning message and it stays on until the car warms up and if I shut down and restart the car at that point, it goes away.

I am assuming that the coolant level is actually low and as the car warms up so does the coolant and at that point is adequately warm and expanded and so the sensors does sense the coolant's presence and turn off. Am I correct?

Should I just add some coolant or get the radiator and the system flushed and refilled? If I were to just add some, what type of coolant should I be adding?

The temperature of the car does not go above 85-90 degrees but it has been fairly cool so am thinking it will warm/heat up more as the weather is getting warmer. I really want to fix this before I start driving it after this brutal winter as the car has been pretty much parked in the garage from the past 6 months

Thanks!
Paul
Old 04-10-2014, 03:17 PM
Banned

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts
SL500, Miata
Originally Posted by 2Mercedes
I am assuming that the coolant level is actually low...
I'm puzzled. Why would you make an assumption about something you can know with absolute certainty? Simply open the hood of your car and observe the level of coolant in the expansion reservoir.

If I were to just add some, what type of coolant should I be adding?
It's important to use the correct formulation of coolant. The Mercedes-branded coolant sold at the dealerships is compatible, of course. A cheaper alternative is to use Zerex G-05.
Old 04-14-2014, 07:53 PM

I have an update. Since the weather has gotten warmer, I am no longer seeing the coolant low message.

The runs at around 85-89 degrees. I believe that is the normal operating temperature. Can you please confirm?

I am still planning to get a radiator flush and refill in a week or so just to be on the safe side.

Thanks,

Paul
Old 04-14-2014, 09:28 PM

SL55
as stated above im even more confused since youve been told what to do.........why not just check the coolant level in the reserviour?

assuming you know how to pop the hood?
Old 02-13-2015, 10:24 PM

Haven't logged in for a while and so am reading these very silly remarks made to my original post.

It should be understood that if someone is asking a question, they may be seeking an answer from someone who has been under the hood more than they have. This is a forum to help each other out right? Not to be a smart a.. about it and putting others down.

I had just purchased the car back then so was asking the questions as I wanted to be sure about thing before messing with them. Since then I have done a lot of work on this car including taking the vacuum pump out and replacing the motor on it. I can call myself a smart a.. about this car now but I won't be as it's just not my nature.

Let's keep it civil and help each other out.

Cheers.

Paul
The following users liked this post:
Rey Hortillosa (04-15-2021)
Old 02-14-2015, 10:19 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
SL550 Designo Crystal & Red Interior - SL55 Silver & Black Interior - E550
Paul, I don't think anyone was being an a$$ and you're right about this forum. It's a place to ask for advice from people who have more experience than you. That said, you were told twice to pop the hood and check the coolant reservoir. Did you do this? If so, what did you find? If not, then you've asked for advice and ignored it.

Either way, that's the first place to start. Did you get the radiator flush? If so, any problems found?

Haven't logged in for a while and so am reading these very silly remarks made to my original post.

It should be understood that if someone is asking a question, they may be seeking an answer from someone who has been under the hood more than they have. This is a forum to help each other out right? Not to be a smart a.. about it and putting others down.

I had just purchased the car back then so was asking the questions as I wanted to be sure about thing before messing with them. Since then I have done a lot of work on this car including taking the vacuum pump out and replacing the motor on it. I can call myself a smart a.. about this car now but I won't be as it's just not my nature.

Let's keep it civil and help each other out.

Cheers.

Paul
Old 02-14-2015, 10:29 AM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
2018 SL550
Paul, I would suggest that based on the way that your post was written, using a line like, "I am assuming that the coolant level is actually low...", yet making no mention of physically checking the coolant level, the responders saw nothing to suggest that you had actually checked the level by looking at the reservoir. In this case it looks like advice was offered based on the information that they were given.

Now, cars101, standard for any car (Chev to Veyron). If a coolant light comes on, then physically check the coolant level in accordance with the manufacturers instructions. If the level is very low, top it up accordingly, run the engine until hot while keeping an eye on the level in the reservoir, check for leaks under the car. If no leaks, take it out for a test drive and check the level again once it has cooled down. If the level is still OK, check it again after driving it for a day or so. If still OK, increase the times between checks until you are confident that there is not a leak. If that is the case then the low level sensor may be at fault, but in your case I suspect not.

If you see that the level is going down more than it should, but you cannot see any external signs of a leak, then it is internal and either leaking into a combustion chamber or into the oil system. Either need prompt attention before very expensive engine damage will occur.
Old 09-10-2018, 12:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 174 Likes on 144 Posts
SL55, S500
50f today in NY.

Tried to start the car this am and had a slight hesitation. I turned it off and cranked it again and it started right up I had a low coolant warning on my dash in text for about 2 seconds and then it went away. Drove all day and started her up later and had no issues. At first I assumed it was a weak battery..

will investigate..anyone familiar with this?
Old 09-10-2018, 09:41 AM
MBworld Guru

Received 999 Likes on 868 Posts
NO LONGER ACTIVE
Do check the coolant level. It should be at the top of the white section of the tank. If it needs a bit, top it off with distilled water. if it's very low, then a 50/50 mix of the appropriate coolant.
The following users liked this post:
Das Geld 2 (09-11-2018)