SL-Class (R230) 2003 -- 2012: Discussion on the SL500, SL550, SL600

SL/R230: HELP please !! Bumpy and not fully working rear suspension

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-22-2014, 10:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sl500 r230
HELP please !! Bumpy and not fully working rear suspension

hi forum ppl. im new here.i just recently bought a sl500 2003 and installed lowering links. however theres a problem. the rear driver side doesnt goes up or goes down like the other 3 sides. it moves about 1 mm! which is like nothing...just a wiggle up and a wiggle down. AND while driving, if it hits any bump, rear driver bounces up and down...only rear driver. anyone know/experience anything like this ? any help would be appreciated

Last edited by luv4eternity; 07-22-2014 at 10:54 AM.
Old 07-22-2014, 05:08 PM

2008 SL600
Friendly bump for you in a dead forum...
Old 07-22-2014, 08:52 PM

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
MBs: SL55, GLK350
How much lower did you make the car?
Any ABC warnings while driving?

Possible the sensor may have been damaged when the link was installed.

I would start by removing the wheel and inspecting the height sensor link/mounting for that wheel. May want to reinstall the stock links on both sides in rear temporarily.
Though it shouldn't make a difference, I have read of other members having issues if a link was installed 'reversed' / upside down. It's a point to point connection so I don't understand how this could have any effect, but several have posted this :shrug:

Verify the height sensor arm moves freely up and down when there is no link connected.
Old 07-23-2014, 12:03 AM

sl500 r230
Originally Posted by dRockSL55
How much lower did you make the car?
Any ABC warnings while driving?

Possible the sensor may have been damaged when the link was installed.

I would start by removing the wheel and inspecting the height sensor link/mounting for that wheel. May want to reinstall the stock links on both sides in rear temporarily.
Though it shouldn't make a difference, I have read of other members having issues if a link was installed 'reversed' / upside down. It's a point to point connection so I don't understand how this could have any effect, but several have posted this :shrug:

Verify the height sensor arm moves freely up and down when there is no link connected.
nope. theres not warning lights. THAT at least im glad it didnt show.

i thought the same thing as u and of the posts i read. i re-extended the links to the regular height, the car is fine. but when i readjust it lower, it does it again. im super confused. i guess i'll check if its reversed or upside down tomorrow when i work on it again. i dont think its such a drastic drop from the pictures. then again,i could be wrong.
Attached Thumbnails HELP please !! Bumpy and not fully working rear suspension-10564879_10152512767035502_1323713520_n.jpg  
Old 07-23-2014, 12:31 AM

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
MBs: SL55, GLK350
The rear looks extremely low to me. Very surprised you did not get a car too low warning while driving. Did you measure your current link length? How much shorter is your rear link from stock for that amount of drop?
I understand this is the look you are going for, you could adjust the rear links closer to stock in 1mm increments until it is working without issue - or start a few mm shorter (rear) from stock and work from there again in 1mm increments

I just installed links on my SL last week. 5mm longer in front and 4mm shorter in back (measuring from center to center of link joints) gave me the perfect drop for my taste, about 7/8". zero issues. So you should be able to start with ~5mm and push it lower from there if you want.

Keep in mind the headlamps in these cars are fixed, and are leveled/aligned by the ABC keeping the suspension heights at programmed level. With links you are essentially fooling the sensor, making ABC think the suspension is at a different height than it really is. As we have HID projectors the headlamp beam cutoff is pretty sharp. Dropping the car evenly, keeping the stock pitch/rake, will just slightly reduce your headlamp range. Having a greater drop in front than rear will cut the range more noticeably. Having the rear drop more than the front will have the headlamps pointing more upward, noticeably extending the cutoff distance and possibly annoying a few oncoming drivers. These aren't lifted 4X4 trucks though, not talking huge changes - just worth mentioning.
Old 07-23-2014, 07:47 AM

sl500 r230
Originally Posted by dRockSL55
The rear looks extremely low to me. Very surprised you did not get a car too low warning while driving. Did you measure your current link length? How much shorter is your rear link from stock for that amount of drop?
I understand this is the look you are going for, you could adjust the rear links closer to stock in 1mm increments until it is working without issue - or start a few mm shorter (rear) from stock and work from there again in 1mm increments

I just installed links on my SL last week. 5mm longer in front and 4mm shorter in back (measuring from center to center of link joints) gave me the perfect drop for my taste, about 7/8". zero issues. So you should be able to start with ~5mm and push it lower from there if you want.

Keep in mind the headlamps in these cars are fixed, and are leveled/aligned by the ABC keeping the suspension heights at programmed level. With links you are essentially fooling the sensor, making ABC think the suspension is at a different height than it really is. As we have HID projectors the headlamp beam cutoff is pretty sharp. Dropping the car evenly, keeping the stock pitch/rake, will just slightly reduce your headlamp range. Having a greater drop in front than rear will cut the range more noticeably. Having the rear drop more than the front will have the headlamps pointing more upward, noticeably extending the cutoff distance and possibly annoying a few oncoming drivers. These aren't lifted 4X4 trucks though, not talking huge changes - just worth mentioning.
****...u think its too low ? how low can the car drop with just the link ? is there like a "unknown" maximum limit that isnt mention ? i'll measure it and probably lift it a little if its too low then..i dont want to ruin such a wonderful car...i love my car...

just a random question, how low off the side is everyone else car ? like on the fender and off the side skirts. mine measures 25and5/8 & 25and1/4off the rear fender to the ground.
Old 08-04-2014, 10:41 AM

sl500 r230
Just a quick update to everyone who help and replied to me. I re-raised the link slightly higher and the abc works fine. Not the height I prefer but I'm happy nothing was broken. Ride is still HORRIBLE at the lowest setting probably coz it's the suspension being really conpressed.