SL-Class (R230) 2003 -- 2012: Discussion on the SL500, SL550, SL600

SL/R230: 2003 SL55 Power Door locks try to close..but dont!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-03-2014, 09:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sl55 2003
2003 SL55 Power Door locks try to close..but dont!

My power door locks try to close, they go down a bit then stop, and come up a bit. The trunk actually locks during this process.

If you grab the door handle to open door from outside, the alarm goes off. So the car does arm the alarm.

The soft touch on the trunk works.
I check the 20 amp fuse behind the passenger seat, and even changed it. It's fine.

I unplugged the trunk battery for a few hours, to see if that would reset it. That didnt work, any other ideas?

No malfunctions or anything else going on with the car.

Car is 2003 SL55.

Thoughts? The above applies to both locks.
They try to close, you can see them go down a bit, then they stop and come back up a bit. When you put some pressure on locks to push them down, they dont go down either.

Tried the key into the door lock, nothing.
Old 09-08-2014, 11:42 AM

Sl55 2003
anyone?
Old 09-08-2014, 01:44 PM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
2006 R500
the locks are vacuum actuated, any slight leak at any of the door lock actuators will not allow the system to create enough vacuum to pull the locks down, most likely one of the actuators are leaking... try locking the car while you're inside the vehicle and see if you can hear a hissing sound from one of the doors... the vacuum will only be applied for a few seconds though so that is your window of opportunity for hearing it...

hopefully you can hear a hissing at one of the doors, sometimes finding a small leak can be tough
Old 09-08-2014, 02:21 PM

Sl55 2003
I tried locking them from inside, nothing.
no hissing.
can you reset the locks with the Star computer.
Old 09-08-2014, 02:45 PM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
2006 R500
resetting will reactivate the circuit if the module has timed out a few times and then locked out this function from attempting to lock at all, in other words if it now no longer even tries to lock the doors, but if it is still trying with each attempt then resetting will not help.you can reset it with a battery pull or pulling the fuse, I'm thinking it may also be resettable with star too but again if it is still trying to pull down but can't, reset won't help

there is either a small leak somewhere in the system or the vacuum pump has gotten weak, but if all other vacuum functions work fine then it's more likely to be a small leak somewhere. most common would be the actuator in one of the doors. if you can pull the door panels then you should be able to disconnect the line at one door and block it, seeing if the other then works fine... this might help eliminating the leaking temporarily, allowing you to pinpoint which actuator is leaking. if you try isolating first one door, then the other, and the problem still persists then it is of course possible to be leaking somewhere else too. these small air lines run from each door to the trunk and a leak anywhere would cause the problem