SL-Class (R230) 2003 -- 2012: Discussion on the SL500, SL550, SL600

SL/R230: sl500 2004 checking out?

Old 09-22-2014, 12:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
future sl500
sl500 2004 checking out?

Need to know how to check a 2004 sl500 out I am looking to buy. I know the suspension is usually an issue with these cars, The one I am looking at has 73k miles owner says he has the service records etc. He is asking 18k has amg package 2 owners clean.. What should I look for when test driving/checking out? How do I check the abc suspension and such since I know that is the main issue and could costs few k, Thanks for any suggestions
Old 09-22-2014, 01:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
SL500 R230
Hi, I am a fairly new SL500 owner who has had many issues since purchase. I would now look at ALL the electrics from stereo through to windows - every switch must work inc seat controls. Check ABC via switch next to gear shift and visually inspect suspension struts and under the car for any obvious leaks. See if Both batteries have been replaced in last 2 years (there is 1 in the trunk that controls alot of the electrics that is prone to drain). Check the trunk carpet (everywhere) for dampness as the trunk leaks on many of these cars (the central locking pump (PSE) is in the trunk - lower left - and this can be affected by water and expensive to sort. Check all interior carpets for any damp. Any dash messages need to be investigated. If at all possible, take an existing owner with you as everything on the car must work or you'll be facing large repair bills. Hope this helps
Old 09-23-2014, 07:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C300 4MATIC And formerly 73 450SL
Check to make sure the ABC fluid is clean. Pull the dipstick and place it on a lint free towel. it needs to be green in color. If brown or black, walk away. If green, investigate service records to see what is the ABC history for repairs. Make sure it all makes sense. And any and all codes do not reappear.

Check the hard top closing system. Make sure it works as it should. Very smooth and straight in it's operation. And check the soft touch trunk closure. Make sure it works as it should. If not it will be a problem for you lowering the top. As the trunk lid needs to be closed completely in order for the top to retract.

Check the ball joints in the front end. And the valve cover gaskets. And see if it has been in an accident. Carfax. Be sure the title is in hand and clear to be transferred.
Old 09-23-2014, 09:11 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
SL 600
Check SBC brake unit, some were recalled, they have a ten yr. factory warranty & will need to be replaced, $2200.00 for replacement. Buy a extended warranty !!!!

Last edited by stykshooter; 09-25-2014 at 07:55 PM.