SL-Class (R230) 2003 -- 2012: Discussion on the SL500, SL550, SL600

SL/R230: K40 Radar detector and Curb Alert

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-26-2014, 12:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SL550, CLK55
K40 Radar detector and Curb Alert

As part of the car purchase (2014 SL550) The dealership installed a K40 RL360i Radar/Laser detector system integrated into the rear view mirror. No LED's. Mirror has an up and down arrow that shows up orange when detector fires. If anyone needs info contact me. Very classy looking. Rear laser detector integrated into rear license bracket

Having ripped up the front bumpers on my SL63 AMG and CLK55 AMG, I have decided to install a Curb-Alert into the SL550 and later into the CLK55. This device fits under the front bumper, gets calibrated for curb distance and bumper height and sounds a tone when a curb comes within the calibrated distance. I am thinking of placing the control box into the glove compartment on the passenger side so that the calibration button is easily accessed if needed to recalibrate.

Does anyone have any experience on the installation of these devices and their efficiency?

Does anyone know where I can easily snake wires through the firewall on the passenger side and into the glove Box? I would like to find some grommet on the passenger side rather than going through the existing grommet on the driver side and then going across the cockpit. Any advice appreciated.

Last edited by barrygordon; 09-26-2014 at 12:59 PM. Reason: Change title