SL/R230: A few SL500 questions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-09-2014, 12:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 Mercedes SL500
A few SL500 questions

Recently bought 2004 SL500. Great car, but have some questions:

Glove box light does not work. It's not the bulb. When I pulled the unit, it was not wired. Any ideas on an easy fix? Sure do not want to pull dashboard or even glove box if I can help it.

Phone does not work. Did have a phone cradle, but no Bluetooth dongle when I bought it, but bought one on ebay. Still does not work and
Command Unit"><span style=Command Unit" /> Command Unit">Command Unit
says, "No Phone." Is it not wired for phone? Fuses ok, though fuse under pass side rear box does not look quite right.

No
satellite radio"><span style=satellite radio" /> satellite radio">satellite radio
. Is there a way to add on a sat antenna (sharkfin) and be able to then have sat radio?

THANKS for anyone that can help. Could take it to MB dealer, but prefer to DIY.

Read more: https://mbworld.org/forums/sl-class-...#ixzz3LNT3NE27
Old 12-09-2014, 02:11 PM

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
2003 SL500, 2016 ATS, 2016 CTS 2015 Volt
Originally Posted by jcollins133
Recently bought 2004 SL500. Great car, but have some questions:

Glove box light does not work. It's not the bulb. When I pulled the unit, it was not wired. Any ideas on an easy fix? Sure do not want to pull dashboard or even glove box if I can help it.

Phone does not work. Did have a phone cradle, but no Bluetooth dongle when I bought it, but bought one on ebay. Still does not work and Command Unit says, "No Phone." Is it not wired for phone? Fuses ok, though fuse under pass side rear box does not look quite right.

No satellite radio. Is there a way to add on a sat antenna (sharkfin) and be able to then have sat radio?

THANKS for anyone that can help. Could take it to MB dealer, but prefer to DIY.

Read more: https://mbworld.org/forums/sl-class-...#ixzz3LNT3NE27
I think you'll have to pull the glovebox out--it's a bit tedious but not hard. There's a mickey mouse lever that activates the light as well as the alarm circuit. I suspect someone unplugged it. You need to remove the lower cover, the side console trim and the trim on the RH side of the IP. Most of the stuff snaps on and off but you need to get to the few screws that hold the glovebox in. As far as the Bluetooth, make sure the module is the right one for your year and that you follow the pairing instructions exactly to the letter.