SL-Class (R230) 2003 -- 2012: Discussion on the SL500, SL550, SL600

SL/R230: Soooooo can the dealer REFUSE to fix your car?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-07-2015, 08:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SL55
Soooooo can the dealer REFUSE to fix your car?

Hey guys. I just had to run this by you.

I have a 2004 SL55 that I've owned for almost 10 years now. I love it. I haven't had an oppty to drive it a whole lot in the last few months and so when I went to start it up recently the battery was dead. All good. I know how these cars are. Fast forward to the moral of the story: I replaced the battery (it was about time). However, the keys weren't unlocking the car, key won't work in the ignition, and the car seems to be in "silent alarm" mode with tail lights and fog lights flashing.

So after reading all of the posts (awesome posts btw) I now know that it's most likely as simple as a key issue (least likely), alarm siren/battery (would be nice), or worst case the EIS. So I get it towed to the dealer totally prepared for the worst with an outside shot at a bonus.

Now... today we get a call from the dealer from one of the cranky service guys stating that "We can't fix your car. It's too much wrong with it".

We're going back up tomorrow to get details on what he is talking about and see exactly what diagnostic was done. We told them UPFRONT about some of the error messages that we knew about that could be ignored such as SOS (duh), Check Engine (secondary Air pump which I was going to ask them to replace as well) and SRS (faulty seatbelt).

I say all that to ask... Can the Dealer... a MERCEDES BENZ dealer refuse to fix a Mercedes vehicle? lol. I understand a mom and pop or private mechanic but the dealer? How do they know that I didn't plan to fix everything that was "wrong"? lol.

Keep in mind that as you know, the EIS is a dealer only fix so it's not like I have another option. lol.

What are your opinions?

Thanks
Old 01-10-2015, 12:25 AM

2007 SL550
The entire system needs to be re-flashed when replacing the bat. Hope you didn't fry the system.

Free country yes they can refuse service unless it is under a factory warranty issue. Most large city's will have independent shops that work on these issues and a lot cheaper too.
Old 01-10-2015, 12:51 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,886 Likes on 1,323 Posts
2014 E63S; AMS 100 octane ecu tune; edok tcu tune; BB intakes; dyno tuned
Take it to another Benz dealer and contact Mbusa about this dealer refusing to work on your car
Old 01-11-2015, 09:51 PM

SL55
Thanks, Guys!
Old 01-12-2015, 01:04 AM

Received 67 Likes on 55 Posts
R230
Welcome to the forum

Forums help best when people fill in the user CP. When all the info is known such as; model, year general locale help is much more correct and not random or drug out
In this case you have missing hard info. Like MB Star tech info and or error codes. Any forum interaction without some basic prior info hurts what kind of knowledge that will help from the forum.
There's likely an easy fix made but without knowing hard details that might have lead up to this no one will know or be much solid help

Good Luck

Last edited by Hary Gahtoe; 01-12-2015 at 12:26 PM.
Old 01-12-2015, 03:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 74 Likes on 70 Posts
E55
Originally Posted by kfschatz
The entire system needs to be re-flashed when replacing the bat. Hope you didn't fry the system.

Free country yes they can refuse service unless it is under a factory warranty issue. Most large city's will have independent shops that work on these issues and a lot cheaper too.
huh? all you have to do is re normalize the windows, set the clock, and sometimes turn the steering wheel lock to lock to learn the steering angle sensor.

what battery did you replace? you know there are 2 of them right?
Old 01-22-2015, 09:22 PM

SL55
Originally Posted by Rocman8
huh? all you have to do is re normalize the windows, set the clock, and sometimes turn the steering wheel lock to lock to learn the steering angle sensor.

what battery did you replace? you know there are 2 of them right?
Come on, man. I hope everyone knows that... don't deserve to drive this car if you don't lol.

Last edited by Wyldfyer; 01-25-2015 at 09:07 PM.
Old 01-22-2015, 09:27 PM

SL55
UPDATE: Welp, we just decided to escalate until we got someone to pay attention. In this case it was the General Manager. I have to give it to my brother, he knows how to handle such affairs. They cut the bull and got right to it. Replaced the EIS and reprogrammed the keys for the best price that I've heard of from the dealer thus far.

The funny part is that I got a thank you email with a request for a survey. Do they REALLY want me to complete a survey?

Thanks to all for your help.