SL-Class (R230) 2003 -- 2012: Discussion on the SL500, SL550, SL600

SL/R230: Where to find used parts?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-15-2015, 12:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 Mercedes SL 500
Where to find used parts?

I've got a 2003 SL500 that just needs a few spare parts to make it pretty and even work a little better. A variety of parts like the little rubber buttons on both keyless go door handles are missing (just the buttons would be perfect!), the sun visor mirror drivers side is broken, boots for both driver side shocks are torn up, .... Small things that should be relatively cheap and easy to replace -- but Mercedes makes you buy a $500 door handle to get the rubber button (each side!) and $1300 for the shock to get new boot cover....

I've looked on eBay for R230 parts and found a few things that I needed, but there isn't much there for a 2003 to 2009 SL. Is there someplace that's online to go and find such small items? I've found places to by big items, but what happened to "junk yards" where I could always find anything I needed for my car when I was a kid - 60 years ago? Is there something that has taken their place online? Or, do I need to buy another old SL500 to cannibalize?
Old 01-28-2015, 01:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 sl500
Originally Posted by tomrinb'ham
I've got a 2003 SL500 that just needs a few spare parts to make it pretty and even work a little better. A variety of parts like the little rubber buttons on both keyless go door handles are missing (just the buttons would be perfect!), the sun visor mirror drivers side is broken, boots for both driver side shocks are torn up, .... Small things that should be relatively cheap and easy to replace -- but Mercedes makes you buy a $500 door handle to get the rubber button (each side!) and $1300 for the shock to get new boot cover....

I've looked on eBay for R230 parts and found a few things that I needed, but there isn't much there for a 2003 to 2009 SL. Is there someplace that's online to go and find such small items? I've found places to by big items, but what happened to "junk yards" where I could always find anything I needed for my car when I was a kid - 60 years ago? Is there something that has taken their place online? Or, do I need to buy another old SL500 to cannibalize?
If you're In a situation where you're seriously considering purchasing another car for door handles and a shock boot, I'd consider selling your car and purchasing a cleaner one to start with. If that was said in jest, disregard.

eBay works, or you can search www.car-parts.com (nationwide salvage yard search)
Old 01-28-2015, 02:52 PM

Received 222 Likes on 165 Posts
'08 S550 P3; Golf Carts; MT Bike; Scooters
Ask around...

My local dealer parts guy knew of 2 sources for used parts when I needed simple upholstery clips that were not sold loose...had to buy the whole panel!
Call them and ask, can't hurt.
Also check with MB Indy shops - they will know of the same, or have the used parts you need on a shelf.